Damn the Day I Met You

Eighteen.

The next week I was able to start school again. Or in other words the whole hype over my life finally died down some. Now my only issue is the fact that I woke up to an empty bed. Tristan wasn’t one that commonly woke up before me, and if by chance he did he’d stay in bed until I’d get up. But this morning, what may be one of the most important school mornings of my life, he’s nowhere to be found. Not even a note is left in his place.

Trying to not let this affect me, I go about my regular morning routine. An addition to this though is finding my bodyguard sitting at the table reading a newspaper. “Stop worrying, he had something to deal with at school and said it was easier to do earlier before the big rush. Lucy was already picked up for her morning club—crazy kid—and your lunch is made sitting in the fridge with your name on it.”

“I didn’t-”

“Care? Yeah, you can keep telling yourself that.” He turns the page in the paper, not once letting his eyes leave the words in front of him, “Let me know when you’re ready to go.”

Did I mention that Peter is like a super psychic? Well he is. He honestly can just answer an unasked question by a persons’ body language. It was cool at first, but now it’s just getting annoying.

I grab a quick bite to eat for breakfast and then make sure everything’s packed before telling Peter that it’s time to go. During the car ride I pull out my lunch bag, “did you pack my lunch?” I ask as I open it up.

“I’m a bodyguard, not a nanny.”

“Haha, very funny.” A slip of paper was set on top with my name neatly scrolled across it. I pull it out of the bag and flip it over to read it. Peter glanced over at me and I could tell that he was trying to figure out my emotions towards the letter or some crap like that. “Stop doing that staring thing,” I say, waving the paper in his direction, “it’s weird. If you want to know what the note says just ask.”

He chuckles and focuses back onto the road, “I have a feeling it’s going to be quite an entertaining time working for you.”

“You can bet on it.”

“Now, what does the note from your love say?”

“First of all, Tristan and I are nothing more than friends. And second, I don’t know if I want to tell you anymore.”

“Yeah right, ‘friends.’”

“Oh shut-up!” Peter sure was a character and just like he said the first night he worked for us; he really did play a role of big brother to me. “And if you must know he wrote; ‘Good morning beautiful, I don’t know why I put this in your lunch instead of my pillow. I guess it seemed like a more weird and ‘Katie-like’ place to put it. Sorry I wasn’t there when you woke up this morning, though I do have something to make it up to you. You just might want to walk towards a group of guys who have nothing better to do than make rude comments to girls. Love, Tristan.’”

“Awe, that is like so sweet.” Peter mocks in a fake girls tone.

“You know you’re a romantic at heart Peter, don’t try and deny it.”

“I will not be responding to that assumption because we are now at school.”

I grab my stuff and jump out of the car, excited to find out what surprise Tristan has in store for me. “Come on Peter!”

“Yeah, yeah, I’m coming. Stop acting like some lovesick puppy.”

“You get bitter when you miss your wife.”

Peter glances at me with a smirk, “this is true. Now let’s get this over with so that we can actually start classes.”

In silence I walk down the same path I had so many months before. This time though, instead of the comments being jumbled together, they were separate and created an obvious statement, “si dovrebbe uscire con questo ragazzo.” They all pointed towards Tristan who was holding a single lily in his hands.

“Why?” I call back in English, taking a few steps towards the group. They look around at each other not exactly knowing what to say. I’m sure I was going off the script right about now. “Give me ten good, solid reasons, and I will say yes. And Tristan, you can’t participate in this.”

“He is awesome!” I laugh and nod my head to count it.

“He works hard to get what he wants and needs.”

“He loves his sister.”

“His sister is pure genius.”

“He’s happier with you.”

“Your dad and brother scare the shit out of him.”

“He hasn’t hung out with us for practically a month because he cares so much about you.”

“He knows the woman’s body better than most men.” We all stare at Charlie in shock, “literally, he taught his sister all that women stuff that goes on. So really he knows more—“

I intervene, “okay, okay. I get it. Two more.”

“He’s been saving up lots of money for this date.” Pete says this and instantly earns a smack from Tristan. I guess he wasn’t supposed to blurt that one out.

I grab Tristan’s hand and pull him away from the group. Luckily Peter doesn’t follow but I could tell he was keeping a close eye on us. “Katie, he didn’t—”

“How much?”

“That doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t be doing this if I couldn’t afford it.”

“How much Tristan?”

“Katie—”

“I just don’t understand. You of all people know how much I don’t care about money and all of that. So I don’t get why you’d be saving up for this. It’s not like you have something to live up to—Zach never did something like this.”

Tristan runs a hand through his hair, “That’s just it! I don’t want to be like Zach. I don’t want to not do things for you, monetary or otherwise. I’m not saying I want to pay for every single date we go on. I don’t care at all if you pick up the tab, even if it’s the majority of the time. But I still want to treat you to surprises. And you being worried about my money only make it more difficult.”

I step forward and grab his hand in a reassuring way. “I don’t want you going out of your way to do something for me. You have a sister to support, Tristan, that’s a big deal.”

“I know I have custody of a child, Katie, I get that. And she is being taken care of. You of all people know that I do not neglect my sister.” He takes hold of my hands, “Please, just let me treat you this once. You can spend as much time and money you want to pay me back. But I want to do this one thing for you.”

I nod, “okay, but-”

“Nope, no arguing you silly stubborn girl, just say okay and be done with it.”

“-but,” I continue, smirking when Tristan’s eyes narrow at me, “I was only given nine reasons.”

“Because I sort of, kind of, pretty much, like you a lot more than I had originally planned.” Before I could respond he pulls me towards him and presses his lips against mine. The whistles from behind us fade away as I get lost in the feeling of kissing the guy I’m sort of, kind of, pretty sure I love.
♠ ♠ ♠
AWW! He likes her and she loves him and they kiss and it's all happy and peter is an adorable guard (better than zach!) and it's all coming together :) :) :)
don't worry though, it's not ending soon or something like that.
anyone still rooting for zach?

comment.subscribe.befriend.recommend.promote.laugh.
please.
<3 justrealizelife