Status: Completed!

Like Phantoms Forever

We Could Take to The Highway

I lounged on the couch, flipping channels as I waited for Frank to finish getting dressed. I loved having him home from tour, especially since I got to end my…dry spell when he came home.
I flipped past a talk show, but something on the screen caught my eye. I clicked the back button on the remote.
It was Ellen DeGeneres’s show, something I didn’t normally watch.
But there was a woman on the screen with her that I knew.
A face I hadn’t seen in years.
“Holy shit it’s Emmy!” I yelled, staring at the screen. She had lost some of the baby fat on her face and she looked older, but that was still my best friend’s face.
But what the hell was she doing on Ellen DeGeneres’s talk show? I turned up the volume.
“So tell me about the series.” Ellen said, her eyes focused on Emmy.
“It started with Beautiful Lies. It was originally supposed to be just the one book, but about halfway through I just kept getting ideas, which spawned Beautiful Chaos.” Emmy seemed more comfortable in her own skin now. She’d grown up definitely.
“For the people who don’t know the plot, why don’t you tell them?”
“Well, the main character’s name is Pippa and the story is set in 19th century England. I don’t think I can tell much more than that, but the title should tell you something.” Emmy laughed.
“You’re 26, correct?” Emmy nodded. “And you’ve written three books and have a fourth on the way.”
“Damn, I have no life.” She shook her head. “I’m really blessed that I’m able to spend all my time and energy on something I’m really passionate about. So many people just spend their whole life in a rut, doing something that they really don’t want to, because of obligation or money problems.”
“What are you watching?” Frank said from behind me.
“Emmy’s on TV. She’s an author now.” I couldn’t keep the excitement from my voice. Emmy had always loved writing and now she did it for a living.
“Now in all of your books there’s the same dedication.” Ellen was saying.
“Yeah, it says, “Like phantoms, forever.” Emmy’s face darkened for a moment.
“What does it mean?” Emmy paused for a moment.
“I was in love with this boy and the day I left he gave me something he’d written and one of the lines is “As lead rains, will pass through our phantoms forever”. It’s basically my way of saying I’ve never forgotten him, even though we lost contact.” Emmy chewed on her lip.
“Get everyone over here. Now.” I ordered.
♠ ♠ ♠
I had this written already so I figured I'd post this up for you guys :)