‹ Prequel: A Muggle at Hogwarts
Status: <------- If you haven't read the prequel :)

Another Year at Hogwarts

Chapter Ten: Not Again

I wandered around the corridors as students were in class. After yesterday’s little demonstration by the Carrow siblings, I doubt there would be any student trying to break the rules. Then again, as Neville, Ginny and Luna so bravely pointed out yesterday, Dumbledore’s Army was still alive. Now that Voldemort had taken over the school, I doubt the DA would sit quietly and wait for Harry to magically show up and rescue them.

“Hm…I wonder how you guys are doing, Harry,” I wondered.

“Baker!” some exclaimed from inside a classroom.

I stopped and peered into the Muggle Studies classroom. Alecto—who was standing at the front of the classroom with her wand out—eagerly gestured me to come inside.

“What do you want?” I asked rudely while walking into the classroom.

“Why don’t you have a seat and listen in on my lecture?” Alecto asked in a sarcastic tone. “We’re discussing Muggles…and Mudbloods.”

I narrowed my eyes for a moment before walking into the room and taking a seat in the back.

“Now,” Alecto grinned as she looked back to her students, “as I was saying: Muggles are weak and pathetic creatures. But do you know what’s worse than a Muggle? A Mudblood,” Alecto said as she glanced at me. “Mudbloods—they are the disgusting spawns of Muggles and lowlife wizards or witches, who—”

“And how much Muggle blood do you and that brother of yours have?”

“Are you serious?” I groaned as I looked to the tall boy with the dark blond hair in front of me.

“You again, Longbottom?” Alecto growled as she stared in my direction. She then pointed her wand at Neville and asked, “Are you standing up for those disgusting things?”

“Why are you avoiding the question?” he asked.

“You little—”

But before Alecto could do anything to harm Neville, I was out of my seat and grabbed by the back of his rode.

“Where are you taking him, Baker?” Alecto demanded as I dragged Neville out of the classroom. “Baker? BAKER!”

I dragged Neville out of the classroom and down the hallway a bit before giving him a small shove against the wall. I then groaned heavily as I looked at him over. Although the day was only beginning, there were already countless wounds on his face and hands.

I let out a groan as I paced back and forth—thinking about what I should do. I had to somehow make Neville tone down the whole anti-Voldemort thing a little bit before he gets himself killed. After all, it was only the first day of school!

“What are you going to do?” Neville asked nervously as he watched me pace back and forth. “So what if I support Muggles and half-bloods? Are you planning to kill me for—”

Before he could finish, I turned and gave him a light whack on the head.

“Ouch!” he exclaimed as he clutched the side of his head where I had just hit him. “What was that for?”

“For being an idiot!” I replied.

“You know—I, um…I’ve—I’ve never hit—hit a girl before, but—but if I have to defend myself—”

Once again, I whacked him on the side of the head—this time a little harder.

“Hey!” Neville shouted again. “Stop that! I will fight you if I have to—with,” Neville looked down at his robe pocket. “With—with w—wands of—of course,” Neville stuttered as he glanced at me.

“You really are being an idiot!” I repeated. “Can’t you just stay out of trouble? Did you not see what Alecto and Amycus did yesterday to that first year student? They were ruthless with him. Do you think they would be any less ruthless with you?” I bellowed. “I know you’re supportive of Dumbledore and Harry and all of that, but can’t you just tone it down a little bit? You’re going to get yourself killed, and it’s the first day of school for crying out loud!”

“I—um…” Neville stuttered as he stared down at me with confusion and intimidation.

“I don’t want anyone dying while I’m here. It will just create another mess, and I already have enough trouble with Dark Lord as it is,” I said more to myself then to Neville. “Anyways, stay out of trouble, understand?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Neville replied.

“Um…g—get back into class, now,” I ordered, though I was still taken back by him calling me ma’am. Though this obviously wasn’t the time and place, Neville calling me ma’am made me feel old.

Neville quickly nodded and hurried off to class.

“Oh, wait!” I exclaimed. Neville quickly turned around back and looked at me. I looked sternly at him as I pointed to him and said, “Keep it on the down side. And if Alecto asks, tell her I gave you one of those wounds on your face or hand or something. I doubt she knows how many she gave you.”

Neville nodded hesitantly.

“Next time, I won’t you off so easily,” I warned as I turned my heels and walked away.

As I walked down the hallway, I lectured myself about letting Neville off—with a warning!

“Seriously?” I scolded. “I let him off with a warning? I’m a Death Eater—well, not officially. But I’m working for the Dark Lord for crying out loud! I’m not supposed to be giving out second chances—especially to Dumbledore and Harry’s followers.”

“Do you make a habit of talking to yourself?” someone asked from behind me.

I sighed heavily as I turned around and found Draco Malfoy standing behind me.

“One makes a habit to talk to oneself when stuck in an orphanage for fifteen years,” I quickly replied while turning around and continuing on my way.

“More like a loony bin,” Draco whispered.

“I heard that!” I pointed out as I turned to face him. I placed my hands on my hips as I said, “Again with the insult. Do you not know how to have civilized conversations?”

“Well, insulting you is the only way to make you talk to me,” Draco grinned as he approached me.

I crossed my arms as Draco got closer to me and asked, “And why would you want to do that?”

“Because,” Draco said standing in front of me, “it’s fun.”

“‘Because it’s fun’?” I repeated with a raised eyebrow. “That’s possibly the most pathetic response I’ve ever heard.”

“Well, when you’re surrounded by Death Eaters who are twice your age, entertainment is hard to come by.”

I narrowed my eyes at Draco. “I don’t like you,” I whispered.

Despite telling Draco this, the amused look on his face remained. He didn’t even seem to be affected by this. Then again, maybe he knew that I wasn’t really talking to him. Rather, I was trying to remind myself that I didn’t like him. I couldn’t start liking him again.

“Why are you making this so difficult?” I wondered aloud.

“Why am I making what so difficult?” Draco asked.

My eyes widened. “D—did I—did I just say that out loud?”

“You did,” Draco grinned as he took a step closer to me. As he hovered over me, his gray blue eyes gazed down upon me, and I couldn’t help but feel my heart racing. “Would you like to tell me what you are referring to?”

“You,” I whispered while staring back up at him. “Why do you keep doing this to me?”

Draco stared down at me with widen eyes. “W—what did you just say?” he stuttered.

I quickly took a step away from Draco. “I—I said why do you keep doing to this me? Why are you making it so difficult?” I repeated as I tried to think of something to say. I quickly thought of something and said, “We are NOT friends, you and me. So don’t act like we are. Besides,” I said staring at him sternly, “I have no intention of befriend someone who fell in love with a Muggle.”

With that, I turned my heels and began to walk away.

“You say that, though you, yourself, are a Half-blood,” Draco pointed out.

I stopped in my tracks and turned back to look at Draco. “My father—he was…my father was a pathetic, low life Muggle,” I forced myself to say. “He abandoned when he died and left me with nothing. It’s because of him that I was stuck in a damn orphanage for fifteen years of my life!” I bellowed as a tear fell from my eyes. “I hate myself because of who I am,” I said.

Draco stood before me stunned by what I had just said. But then, to my surprise, he approached me and stood before me. Slowly, he reached his hand up and placed it on my cheek. Gently, with his thumb, he wiped away the tear that has just slid down my cheek.

“Violet,” he suddenly whispered while gazing down at me.

“W—what did you call me?” I gasped.

“No, your eyes,” Draco said. “They’re violet.”

I suddenly slapped Draco’s hand away and stepped away from him.

“Stop it!” I ordered. “I told you already, we are NOT friends, and I don’t care to be! So, stop this stupid friendly nonsense of yours! Don’t…don’t do this to me…not again,” I said whispering the last part before hurrying off.