‹ Prequel: A Muggle at Hogwarts
Status: <------- If you haven't read the prequel :)

Another Year at Hogwarts

Chapter Thirty-Two: Hunting Down Neville

A few weeks passed and news of my return to Hogwarts quickly spread throughout the school. At first, I wondered if it was because of me, but I began to notice that there were fewer and fewer students in the hallways every day.

“I thought I’d find you up here,” I said as I reached the top of the Astronomy Tower. Before me was Snape, who was staring off into space.

“You come up here often, don’t you?” I asked as I slowly approached him.

“What do you want?” Snape asked.

“There seems to be less and less students every day,” I commented. “Why do you suppose that?”

“Maybe because Hogwarts is not a safe place anymore,” Snape replied.

“Snape,” I sighed heavily.

I hesitantly walked up to Snape’s side, to where Dumbledore had fallen almost a year ago. As I stood by his side, I slowly reached my hand out and placed it on his—my other hand on the cold railing.

“Hogwarts is a lot safer for students than it is out there,” I said while looking away from Snape to the scenery before us. I then turned back to him and said, “You’re doing a good job.”

“And that’s why students are disappearing, right?” Snape said as he slipped his hand from beneath mine and began walking away.

“Then help me to help them,” I said turning around.

Snape turned back around and faced me. “What are you planning?”

“Neville. I need you to get his grandmother to go into hiding,” I replied. “I think Ministry Auror John Dawlish will be able to do the job finely.”

* * *

“Have you noticed that students have been disappearing?” I asked while sitting in the half-empty Great Hall with the Carrows.

“Well, lots of students disappeared after the holiday,” Alecto replied as she glared out at the few students who were eating their dinners. “That includes that loony blond, who had escaped from the Malfoy Manor.”

“And that Weasley girl,” Amycus added.

“Ginny Weasley, huh?” I whispered. “So that’s two out of three.”

“What do you mean?” Alecto asked as she turned to me.

“During the beginning of the school year…” I began as I sat up straight in my seat, “there were three of them, weren’t there? Lovegood, Weasley…and some male student. What of him?” I asked.

“You mean Longbottom?” Amycus laughed. “Still as troublesome as ever—though not as active as he was at the beginning of the year. Guess without his two goons, he’s lost the courage to do anything.”

“Unfortunate, really. Had fun torturing him,” Alecto grinned. “Good thing he still misbehaves here and there.”

I remained silent as Alecto and Amycus reminisced their fun with Neville. Their laughter and sick pleasure in their torture of him and other students was the only sound that echoed through the Great Hall.

“…He must be the leader,” I whispered.

“What are you mumbling about?” Alecto questioned. “Who’s the leader?”

“The DA…Dumbledore’s Army or some rubbish like that. Snape mentioned Potter forming the DA. With him, Lovegood and Weasley gone and there still being small activities occurring, Longbottom must be the new leader of the DA,” I informed. “We find him—we stop these reckless behaviors at Hogwarts. Not to mention, in the name of the Dark Lord,” I said with a small grin on my face, “you two have permission to do anything to Longbottom to cease these activities.”

“Does Snape know of this?” Amycus questioned.

“I’m waiting to hear news from Ministry Auror John Dawlish about Longbottom’s grandmother. Figured we could use her against him,” I replied. “But in the meantime, why don’t we go on a little mouse hunt?”

Alecto and Amycus both looked at one another, and a smile formed on both of the siblings faces.

“The Dark Lord made a wise choice,” Amycus commented.

I didn’t say anything in response to the comment. “The two of you stay here for a moment and await news from Dawlish,” I said instead before I got up and headed out of the Great Hall.

I headed down the hallway and found the room the professors were moved to. According to Snape, the Carrows had ordered the teachers into another room to have their meals. I guess they didn’t want the teachers interfering in this business.

“Evening,” I greeted dully as I walked into the cramped room.

“Baker?” McGonagall exclaimed as she rose to her feet. “What are you doing here?”

“So this is where you all have been hiding?” I asked as I looked around the room. I then walked up to the table and took a seat in the empty chair facing the teachers.

“What business do you have here?” Slughorn questioned.

“I have a bone to pick with the lot of you,” I informed as I placed some food onto my plate. “In the short time that I’ve been back, I’ve noticed that students have been…disappearing, so to say,” I said as my eyes flicked up to meet McGonagall’s. “Know anything of it?” I asked as I scooped some corn into my mouth.

“Maybe it’s because of those other ‘professors’ and their abuse of the students,” McGonagall snapped.

“That may be it,” I shrugged as I stuffed some food in my mouth. “Oh, this is delicious,” I smiled. “Feels like I haven’t eaten in days.”

“Why are you really here Baker?” McGonagall demanded.

I reached for a mug and poured some water in it. I quickly drank it down and swallowed my food before answering. “Neville Longbottom,” I said while placing my mug down. My eyes narrowed as I stared at all the teachers and asked, “Know where he’s been hiding?”

“Even if we knew, why would we tell you?” McGonagall asked.

“Cause it’s better you tell me now before the Carrows torture some random student in order to lure Longbottom out,” I replied sternly.

I could see McGonagall, along with all the other teachers, tense up at the very mention of this. However, no one said anything.

The teachers all took their eyes off me when the door behind me opened. I heard whoever it was walk in before appearing at my side.

“She’s gone,” came Draco’s voice. “His grandmother escaped and probably has gone into hiding.”

“And where are Alecto and Amycus?” I asked with my gaze still on McGonagall.

“Searching the grounds for Longbottom, I would assume,” Draco informed.

I sighed heavily before pushing my chair out and getting up. I looked at McGonagall and the rest of the teachers and said before leaving with Draco, “Enjoy your meal.”

“What are you going to do to Longbottom?” McGonagall asked as she hurried around the table.

“That depends upon how much of a fight be puts up,” I said as Draco and I left the room—slightly slamming the door as we did.

“How are you?” Draco asked as the door closed behind us.

“Can’t complain,” I replied as we paced down the hallway. I glanced over my shoulder at him and asked, “What are you doing here?”

“I sent the news to Snape and the Carrows,” Draco replied.

“And what about Dawlish?”

“Let’s just say he took quite the beating,” Draco smirked.

I couldn’t help but let a laugh escape my lips.

“So, what’s the plan?” Draco asked.

“Capture Neville Longbottom, make him tell us if he revived Dumbledore’s Army to oppose the Dark Lord’s authority at Hogwarts, see if he’s in contact with Potter and knows of their whereabouts, and finally discover what they’re next plan of attack is,” I replied.

“You seem to have really thought this through,” Draco commented as we hurried up the stairs. “And do you even know where we’re going?”

“Of course I do. Gryffindor Tower.”

“Why?”

“Because Longbottom has probably been hiding in the Gryffindor Tower. It’s the most logic place to search for him, and since the Carrows lack logic, I doubt they’ve looked from him there, yet.”

As the Gryffindor Tower came to view, I noticed somethin0g from the corner of my eye.

“Password,” said the Fat Lady and Draco and I stood in front of her.

“Open the door!” Draco demanded.

“Draco,” I said as I took his arm and looked towards the top of the stairs. “He’s not in there.”

“What?” Draco wondered as he followed my gaze. “There’s nothing up there.”

“I thought I saw someone go up there,” I muttered. “You stay here then. I’m going to check out the upper floor.”

“Be careful, Victoria,” Draco said to me as I headed up the stairs.