‹ Prequel: A Muggle at Hogwarts
Status: <------- If you haven't read the prequel :)

Another Year at Hogwarts

Chapter Six: A Desperate Plea

After coming out of the bath, I headed into the bedroom Narcissa had taken me to. The room was large, with dark wooden floors. The tall walls were covered with dark purple wallpaper with silver flower designs. The bed in the room was large—I swear it could fit at least five people. There was also a dresser in the room that had a silver mirror. In front of the large glass door that lead out to the balcony, which overlooked the garden in the back, was a large sofa and couch. Sitting in front of them was a small, glass coffee table.

“Victoria,” came a voice from my door. I jumped and clutched my towel tightly against me as Narcissa came into the room. “Here’s some more appropriate clothing for you,” Narcissa said. She then looked at me confused before asking, “Why are you in a towel. Just dry yourself off.”

“Um…I—I don’t know that spell,” I nervously admitted.

Narcissa gave me a dumbfound look. She then said, “Honestly, you can defeat Bellatrix in a duel but you can’t do something as simple as dry yourself.”

I looked down at the ground embarrassed. Narcissa sighed heavily before pulling her wand out. With a flick of her wand, I was immediately dried.

“Here’s your clothing,” Narcissa said as she handed them to me. “You can go change in the bathroom. Come out once you’re ready, and I’ll tie the back for you.”

“Yes, ma’am,” I replied as I hurried into the bathroom.

“Bring those Muggle attire with you when you come out,” Narcissa called out. “They must be burn.”

I nodded and entered the bathroom. As I closed the door, I stood with my back against it in a state of shock. Earlier at the gates, Narcissa had been a complete snob to me, and now she’s…well…not such a snob.

Not wanting to get back on her bad side, I quickly dressed in the dress Narcissa had given me. It was black sweetheart tutu dress with royal blue laces. I didn’t know what Narcissa was talking about when she said she would help me tie the back until I had actually put the dress on. The top was actually a corset that tied in the back.

After slipping on the black tights, I gathered my former clothing. I took the silver locket from my jeans and slipped it inside the side pocket of my dress before heading out of the bathroom. As I walked out, I found Narcissa sitting on the bed and gazing outside into the garden. Sitting on the bed beside her was my wand.

It only took a moment, though, for her to turn her attention to me. I was suddenly taken back when she pulled out her wand and pointed it at me. To be relief, though, it wasn’t me who she was aiming for.

My clothing flew out from my arms and into the air. In a moment, they burst into flames, and the ashes disintegrated before touching the ground.

“Now that we have that taken care of,” Narcissa said while standing, “come over here.”

When I walked over to her, Narcissa turned me around and laced up the back of my dress for me. I gasped for air as she tugged on the strings to tighten my top. Narcissa immediately noticed that I was barely able to breathe, and slightly loosened the corset.

“Where are your cloak and boots?” Narcissa asked as she finished tying the back of my dress.

“Oh, I left them in the bathroom,” I replied. “I can get—“

But before I could even finish, Narcissa pointed her wand towards the bathroom and summoned the items to her.

“All right, now turn around,” she said to me.

I did as she asked and turned to face her. The entire time, I kept my eyes to the floor as she placed the short cloak around my shoulder. The cloak barely reached my elbow, but I guess that’s how it was supposed to be.

“All right,” Narcissa said as she took a small step back to examine me, “that should do it. I’m sure you can put these shoes on by yourself.”

“Yes, ma’am,” I replied while glancing up at her for a brief moment.

I had expected her to leave, but she stayed were she was. Slowly, she reached out her thin hand and lifted my head up by my chin.

“Look up at me for a moment,” she ordered.

I, of course, obeyed.

Narcissa was silent for a long while. I tried my best to keep my composure as she stared into my eyes. Looking back into her eyes, I could a tint of curiosity forming.

“Such strange colored eyes you have,” Narcissa whispered. With that final comment, she slipped her hand away and walked quietly out of the room.

The moment the door closed, I hurried over the dresser and looked into the mirror. I had gotten a glance at my new self earlier when first entering the manor, but I never got a good look at myself—though I didn’t really care to. I just wanted to see my eyes.

At first, I didn’t notice anything unique about them. But as I looked closer, the color of my eyes became clearer. Instead of the dark brown color I thought they were, I noticed that they were actually violet.

I scoffed. “You couldn’t be more obvious, could you, Snape?”

“About what?” rang Snape’s voice.

I spun and turned to the door to find Snape standing there with that same emotionless expression he always had.

“Do you not know how to knock?” I questioned while stepping away from the dresser.

“We have things to discuss,” Snape said as he closed the door.

“Do you really think this is the safest place to talk?” I asked as I sat down on the bed to put on the royal blue and black boots.

Snape simply ignored my question and went to sit on the sofa by the balcony door. He then went on to inform me about our plan of action. “I’m to return to Hogwarts in two days. As you are well aware, I am to return as the headmaster. You—along with Draco and the Carrow siblings—“

“You can’t honestly allow those two into the school,” I interrupted. “I’m sure you’re aware that the two of them will—“ I stopped myself before I said too much. But the look on Snape’s face told me that he already knew what I wanted to tell him. Knowing this, I changed the subject to Draco. “And Draco, why is he going with us?”

“In case Potter shows up, of course,” Snape said.

“Wouldn’t it be better for him to remain here—with Vold—“

“Call him the Dark Lord or my Lord. Never call him by his name—especially in these times,” Snape reminded.

“Well,” I sighed, “wouldn’t it be better if Draco remained here with his family and the Dark Lord? I mean, there’s a bounty on Harry’s head. If he were to be captured, the Malfoy Manor is where he’d be brought.”

“Draco is being placed at Hogwarts at his Mother’s request,” Snape informed. “Also, if Draco is ever needed here, he can always Apparate back.”

“I don’t have to tell you that I don’t feel comfortable being around Draco,” I said. “I would prefer—“

“You must remain where I can watch over you,” Snape informed. “Do you honestly think that the Dark Lord will allow you to remain with us simply because you proved yourself capable of using magic? He doesn’t even trust Bellatrix, and you are well aware of the devotion she has towards him. Do you really think he will trust you so easily?”

“Of course not,” I replied.

“Exactly,” Snape agreed. “Until you can train yourself to block out everything you once were, you are not safe in this place. With Bellatrix remaining here, also, you are in even greater danger.

Especially after that stunt you pulled in the drawing room with Bellatrix, I know you won’t be safe here.”

“What are you trying to say? Are you saying that I was wrong in trying to defend myself against her?” I asked.

“I’m saying you could have toned it down a bit.”

“Oh! How exactly was I supposed to do that?” I asked while rising to my feet. “Perhaps I should have toned it down by allowing Bellatrix to hit me with those Unforgivable Curses she first fired at me! Oh, wait—I’d be dead right now if I did that.”

“You know that isn’t what I mean,” Snape said. “You embarrassed her in front of everyone—in front of the Dark Lord. She will not forgive you for that. If you remain here, Bellatrix will make it her top priority to make your life miserable. Also,” Snape began but trailed off. He had to stop and recollect himself before continuing. “I need your help to fulfill Dumbledore’s final wish: to protect the student of Hogwarts.”

“But you—you have the ability to do that yourself. You can protect the students without my help!” I exclaimed. “Just—just send me back home. I’ll be safe there.”

“And what about Potter and your friends?” Snape asked. “There hasn’t been any news of Potter and his friends,” Snape informed. “There are things that are happening, things that weren’t meant to have happened. That’s why I need you. I need you to help put things back on track. In doing so, we can secure the survival those who are meant to survive.”

“I don’t have a choice in this matter, do I?” I asked.

“You do,” Snape said as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a familiar bottle. “You can use this and return home, or you can stay and help set things right.”

I looked at the bottle in Snape’s hand and then back up to him. Despite being a person who doesn’t like showing his feelings, Snape does know how to project his them when needed. Because as I stared at him and into his eyes, I could see this desperate plea that called out to me. They were telling me that I was the only hope he had. Based on everything I knew about him, as well, I knew he wouldn’t have brought be back into this world unless he desperately needed me. And after everything he had done to help me last year—despite our arguments—there was no way I could turn my back on him now that he needed me.

“As I said before,” I repeated, “I have no choice in this matter.”