Sequel: Homecoming

Goodbye Life As I Know It

Chapter One

The sun was just rising. My first night of sleep in Oakland, California was great. I didn't start college until next month, so I had a lot of time to myself while mom was at the studio. She was a music producer, and a great one at that.
"I'm the son of rage and love. The Jesus of Suburbia. The bible of none of the above. On a steady diet of, soda pop and ritalin," I sang as I poured myself a bowl of Boo Berry cereal. My favorite! "No one's ever died from my sins-"
Ding! Dong!
I groaned and ran to the door. It was my mom.
"Forgot my keys," she laughed. "Sorry if I woke you up."
I shook my head. "Already up."
"How'd you sleep, sweetie?"
"Awesomely. I'm probably gonna go to the beach today."
"Going guy shopping?"
I gaped at her. "Uh, yes, but don't EVER say that again. Please."
"What? I'm trying to stay hip with you twenty-one year olds."
"Don't say hip either. Here's your keys. Goodbye!"
She laughed as I tried to push her out. "Okay, okay. I'm going. Just one thing. Do you wanna stop by the studio around four to meet the band?"
"Mom, please."
"Alright. I get it. You don't care. You don't want your mom to embarass you. I get that, and I respect it. Just take your phone to the beach with you and don't leave it lying around."
"I know. I don't even swim. Where would I go?"
Mom kissed my forehead. "Bye sweetie. Love you."
"I love you too. Bye." I shut the door.
"-In hell as far as I can tell, at least the once I got away with!"
***
I laid out a towel and set my purse on it. I took off my shirt and shorts and sat down in my bikini, ready to get the best tan of my life. California sun was the best sun there was. It was warm and tanned you to the perfect golden color. It may sound like all I care about is tanning, but really, all I care about is tanning and Green Day.
Big difference.
I put my earbuds on and started blasting "Deadbeat Holdiay" one of my favorite songs at the moment (It changes from day to day, you see). I closed my eyes. I heard some kids screaming and messing around. I was tempted to yell at them to "Shut the hell up", but stopped myself. They were two boys being chased by a man, that I asumed was their dad.
"Joey! That's not fair!" The smallest one yelled.
"It's not my fault I run faster than you," he said smoothly.
The small one dived under the water and out of sight.
"Tre!" Joey shouted. "He's right there! You better run, Jakey!"
Jakob.
Joey.
Tre.
Oh my God.
Jakob and Joey were the son's of Billie Joe Armstrong. Tre Cool was their Godfather.
OH MY GOD!
I was bugging out on the inside, but on the outside, I stayed still just watching them run around. Should I go talk to them? No! Am I crazy? Like this? My blood red hair up in a sloppy pony tail? No makeup? Plus I'd be interrupting them. But if they happed to glance my way, I think it's safe to say they'd know I'm a Green Day fan. Only becuase of my Green Day towel, sun glasses (Yes they make those!), and my costume made Green Day bikini with the heart grenade on it.
They wouldn't look over, though. There's no way. They're way to preoccupied. I hope. Should I leave? I mean, I don't want to be a creepy fan girl (Although I kinda am) and run over to get autographs.
Tre looked at his watch. He said something to the boys that I didn't catch and they walked back onto the beach and started to gather their things. This was my last chance. Run and get their autographs real fast, or lose my chance. This could be a once in a lifetime thing.
They started walking off the beach. No! No! Make a God damned move Jade! Now! And they were gone. NOOOO!
I sighed. I felt terrible. Seeing one of my three idols and not doing anything. I leaned back and stared up at the sunny, cloudless sky. Oh well. When in doubt, listen to Green Day. That's just what I did.
Later I returned home to find my mom making dinner. I didn't tell her about seeing Tre. It's not like she would care. She always said they were a rowdy bunch of punks. She was dead on, but they to her, they were too rowdy and too punkish. She never understood me or the people I was interested in.
I had a good relationship with my mom, but it could be better. I wanted to do something in music, but can't produce music, sing, play an intrument, or anything else, so I chose photography. She was proud I was independent and not a follower like I almost turned out to be. But Green Day inspired me to do music. That wasn't follow. Just being kind of obssesive. Eh, whatever. Time to listen to Green Day.
♠ ♠ ♠
No real Green Day yet. Just wait until the next chapter! The eagerly awaited: First meet! Comment!