Bleeding Tears, Crying Blood

Chapter 43

I don’t know how much time passed. I constantly sat in my room, dazed and miserable, waiting for the day Gabor would come in, drag me away and harvest my Core. Thoughts of escape sometimes bubbled up but were only destroyed by the memory of Leroy and his severed finger. My throat would close up and despair would fill me at that memory. I had unintentionally hurt my friend and led him to his death.

I sat alone, cold and sad, until a felt something stir in my mind. I sat bold up and then became very still. Something stroked my mind with faint fingers. Deep whispers echoed in my ears and a familiar cold sensation filled my body and the scent of winter drifted in the air. And then it vanished.

I sighed and frowned. That had happened twice before. I knew it was someone trying to contact me mentally but they couldn’t quite reach me, couldn’t quite open a connection so they could talk. My heart fluttered hopefully as I went through the tiny list of names of people who could do that. I could only think of White. He was young for a Silver and contact over long distances was very difficult for him. It’s why I had the toy, so he could speak with me personally. So hope soared in me. White was attempting to find me, to see if I was okay but couldn’t. I wondered if he was trying to get me back which made his rejection all the more painful. He held me dearly but not in the sense I truly wanted him to.

I huddled into a ball and buried my face in my knees, wondering if Leroy and I were ever going to get out of here. I wondered if White knew I was in danger and rallying some sort of attack. I would give him time if he was, as much as possible. I swore that I would put up a fight when they came but when they did, I found I could do nothing.

I stiffened when I heard the tapping of shows and the rattling of keys. Adrenaline and fear rushed through me and my fingers clenched as I prepared myself. But as Elena entered, I froze. I couldn’t move. Fear had completely gripped me. I simple remained in a ball as Elena stood before me, hands on hips and scowling at me with annoyance.

“Get up.” She ordered venomously.

I only moved to raise my head and turn my blank eyes on her face, Her scowl strengthened rapidly and her fangs became bared.

“Get up. You need to bathe.” She snapped.

“Why?” I managed to utter in utter bewilderment. I knew they didn’t intend to harvest me. My fangs hadn’t quite finished growing. I still had a few days before my Core was at its most potent.

“Just do it.”

I couldn’t argue anymore as her strong hand gripped my arm and pulled me roughly onto my feet. Before I could even attempt some sort of resistance, I was dragged from my prison and shoved into the tiny bathroom across the hall.

“Clean quickly then dress in that.” Elena ordered, waving her hand towards a white folded dress on the old stool and then closed the door sharply.

I stood alone and confused in the cold drafty room. Why did she want me clean? While it bewildered me, I did as I was told. I washed quickly, dressed myself in the simple white dress and tired my wet hair back. With heavy steps I wandered over to the door and pulled it open slowly. Elena stood there, arms folded and waiting impatiently. After briefly eyeing me, she gave me a sharp nod of approval.

“Now, smile and follow Gabor’s lead.” She ordered. “You try anything and Leroy gets his throat ripped out and White gets burned.”

I nodded glumly once in obedience then timidly followed her down the cold tower steps, head bowed. She guided me down several corridors, both carpeted and stone floored, until we reached a thick oak door. Elena stopped here and smoothed her hair and clothes down, inhaling deeply. In that brief moment I felt something .

A strong familiar throb pulsed in my head, sending cool waves of comfort through my body. As Elena opened the door and guided me into the small lounge, my face had already taken as expression of shock, hope and joy before I even saw him./

The tall dark haired man turned and smiled at me, his old eyes wrinkling in relief.

“Young Alma.” Cian said in welcome. “It is good to see you.”

I nearly let myself go. I wanted to run to my dhampir teacher, to cry at him and beg him to rescue White and Leroy, to get us all out of here. But then I remembered Elena’s warning and noticed Gabriella wasn’t around. I had to play along or risk losing my love and my friend. I smothered all emotions and rapidly wiped the happy expression from my face.

Cian approached me, eyeing my worriedly.

“Gabor’s been telling me how well you’ve settled in.” He said.

I nodded. “He has been treating me well.”

“And Leroy? Where is he?”

“This is a gathering for yourself and my Brides only.” Gabor said firmly.

Cian turned to him, smiling still. “Leroy is a dear friend of mine and another I want to ensure is safe.”

“Safe? You insult me to imply he would be in danger here.”

“Your Clan has not been onto be friendly with Man as I recall and, after nearly killing him once, I am a little concerned for his safety.

Gabor smiled. “But, as he is the friend of my new Bride, I will not harm him.” He said stiffly. “The boy is sick at the moment. It is why he is not with us.”

Cian frowned in doubt until I spoke. “He speak the truth. He has a fever and currently asleep.” I said in what I hoped was a convincing manner. Cian’s eyes flickered over my face, still doubtful, but he nodded in acceptance.

“Very well.” He said and let his smile return and indicated for me to sit on the blood red sofa with him.

I scuttled to his side, all too eager to be next to someone I knew was an unwavering ally. He took my hand and looked me straight in the eye.

“How are you?” He asked.

“I am fine.” I said quietly.

A slither of confusion flicker over my eyes as I felt something stir in my chest and mind. A moment later, Cian’s eyes darkened unhappily.

“Are you liking it here?”

“Yes.”

Again, something stirred within me and his eyes became even darker.

“And Leroy is too?”

An image of Leroy’s pained face and shredded finger flickered over my mind. Just about keeping my sad expression away from my face, I nodded. Cian’s grip on my hand tightened and I felt his aura hum a little with ire.

“Where is White?”

My heart wrenched violently at that question and a desire to cuddle the tatty form of White filled me.

“He’s in my room.” I said a little thickly.

“That’s unusual. You always carry him with you, whether or not he’s awake. Did you argue?”

I shook my head, trying to control my emotions as my need to be with White strengthened. I wanted him back with me so badly. I didn’t care that he didn’t return my feelings, I just wanted him to hold me and make me feel safe.

Cian nodded. “I see.” He mumbled and then smiled broadly abruptly. “Tell me, Alma. How was your shifting been going?”

I sat there aghast. Why was he talking about the dhampir’s abilities in front of Gabor?

“I don’t-“ I started but was sharply interrupted by him.

“I sense you’ve grown. Something inside you has formed. You have a shape now. Which is it?”

I hesitated, completely confused as to why he was practically announcing that he was a dhampir to all in the room. To vampires who knew how to kills us and steal our Cores.

“The mouse.” I stuttered.

Cian smiled in approval. “Strange first shape.” He said. “Normally it is the wolf. But mine was the old. Fell from a tower when I was younger.”

Gabor, having been listening eagerly, suddenly interrupted with a sharp clearing of his throat.

“You can shift?” He asked.

“Yes. I am Alma’s teacher.” Cian said.

“Her teacher?”

“I teach her of the dhampir. As an elder and only other in the world, it is my duty to ensure she is taught correctly.”

Gabor tried to look genuinely surprised and he did quite well but I could smell his excitement. I knew he had already known about Cian. Elena and Gabriella would’ve passed on the information. But, now that he had confirmed that Cian was truly a dhampir, he was pleased and greed filled him.

“Dhampir? I thought they were just stories my grandfather told me.”

Cian only smiled before his attention turned to me.

“I am pleased you’re still learning.” He said then glanced at the window. “I should really take my leave now. Dawn comes.” He said and stood to leave.

I watched him sadly until Gabor stepped forward with a friendly expression on his face.

“The sun will be up very soon. Why don’t you stay here and leave at dusk?” He offered warmly.

Cian appeared to think about and took some convincing about it before he agreed.

“Thank you for your offer.” Cian said with a bow.

I froze at Cian’s acceptance. He must know he was in danger, that Gabor was trying to trap him. He must be aware that Gabor knew everything about the dhampir, as well as their inability to function during the daylight hours. Gabor was going to drag Cian’s body to the dungeons and lock him away when Cian was at his most vulnerable. I couldn’t let that happen to Cian.

I stepped forward and grasped my mentor’s arm desperately.

“You don’t need to stay. You can get back to your shelter before the sun rises.” I said in an almost pleading tone.

But Cian patted my hand gently and smiled warmly at me.

“I’ll stay.” He said. “There is nothing to fear.”

I let him go as I realised that Cian was not going to listen and watched him as he followed Gabor out of the small lounge. Hope fluttered as instinct told me he knew what had happened since I came here. I had sought my emotions in my questions, felt about in my mind quietly as I spoke. He knew I was in danger, knew Leroy was far from okay, knew White had been taken from me. And he was plotting something. I didn’t know what but he was definitely up to something.

I looked up to Elena when she snapped at me to follow. I did as I was told and trailed after her quietly. She only snapped at me when I stumbled. I apologised before I focused on the cold feeling of winter returning within my body and the deep whispers echoing in my mind. It was clearer now and I could understand what the voices said.

“We’re coming Alma. Hold on.” White’s true voice said faintly before he lost connection again.

As the coldness fled rapidly, I couldn’t help but feel hope and joy soar. Cian was here and White knew I needed help. They were going to get us out. Leroy and I were going to live. But I hoped, whatever plan Cian had would be put into action soon. I let my tongue feel my teeth and the length and thickness of my fangs worried me. I had maybe two days left at the most before my Core was filled with venom.

If this plan theirs didn’t happen tomorrow, I was going to be harvested and killed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Back but full of a cold now. Thankfully I did all the updates while I was on holiday so just need to type them up. Ah wells, hope you enjoy. Not far at all before the completion of this story now.