Status: Inactive.

Unwhispered Words

Eight.

Image

Thinking back to my 3rd year, I remembered why I was so upset when I was too sick to attend the lesson on this magnificent creature. Its feathers seemed to shine in the sunlight, as it eyed me suspiciously.

“Hagrid, wherever did you get it? I thought the one you had got away?”

“There’s more ‘en one hippogriff in this forest, Miss Peverell. You jus’ gotta know where to go.” He winked.

I chuckled. Of course there was. I mentally smacked myself on the forehead, and nodded.

Although I had missed the lesson, I had read up on everything one needed to know about hippogriffs. I approached him slowly, before bowing as low as my back would allow. I watched him with wary eyes, hoping he would bow back. After a moment of contemplation, he did. I continued my slow pace towards him, holding my breath.

“Does he have a name?” I whispered.

“Surprisingly, no, he doesn’t. Nothing I come up with seems to fit.” He laughed. “He never responds to any of ‘em, so I jus’ gave up.”

I smile as the hippogriff nuzzles into my neck, begging for my attention. I give him a light scratch behind his ear before turning my attention back to Hagrid.

“Do.. do you think I could.. well..” I stuttered.

“Oh, you wan’ to ride ‘em, eh? I wish you could.”

I sigh, defeated. Of course I can’t ride him. Just my luck.

“Why not?”

“He won’t let anybody ride him. It’s too dangerous, and I can’t allow a student to put themselves in danger like that.”

Oh. Well, I can understand that, and I wouldn’t want to risk Hagrid getting sacked, especially after what happened with Draco Malfoy in my 3rd year. Just the thought of it disgusts me. That boy is so foul.

“That’s okay, Hagrid, I understand. I wouldn’t want to get you in trouble.”

He smiled, relief washing over his face. “I appreciate that, and speaking of, we better get out of here before I do get in trouble. Shouldn’t you be in class anyways?”

I smiled at him before explaining that I had Friday’s off, and that I would now be attending his Advanced Care For Magical Creatures class twice a week, something he seemed to be very excited about. We made our way back through all the trees, exiting the Forbidden Forest.

“Thank you, Hagrid, for taking me out there to show him to me. I really appreciate it.” I smiled at him.

“It was my pleasure, Miss Peverell, come back soon.”

“I will, I have your class remember?” I winked and walked away.

***

Once I was back in the castle, I noticed students heading into the Great Hall. Supper time already? I continued in towards the Slytherin table, taking a seat towards the end, by myself. I began heaping my plate with tonight’s course, shepherd’s pie, taking a long swig of my pumpkin juice. So delicious, oh my gosh.

I licked my lips in appreciation before I began spooning food into my mouth. I was so divulged in eating my food it took me a moment before I registered that someone had occupied the seat beside me. I disregarded them, not caring who it was. I just wanted to eat.

“Someone has a hearty appetite, don’t they?” I internally flinched as I registered who the voice belonged to. Rather than replying, I pretended I hadn’t heard, and continued eating.

“What’s wrong, Peverell? You had no problem speaking, or rather yelling, at me earlier.”

I continued looking down at my food, taking another swig of my pumpkin juice.

“I know you hear me speaking to you, and I’m not particularly fond of being ignored.”

Another spoon full of shepherd’s pie.

“Come on, Peverell, didn’t Mummy and Daddy teach you any manners about speaking when you’re spoken to? Oh, that’s right, your parents are never around.”

How does he know that? I gaze up at Draco, unable to hide my surprise. He has a perfectly applied
smirk on his face.

“Ah, there she is.” His eyes light up, satisfaction on his face. I looked around him, only to see that he was alone. No annoying posse with him, today?

“What do you want, Draco?”

His eyes narrow, showing his distaste at my using his first name. Satisfaction of my own begins to swell inside me. I just love that he hates that.

“Look, this normally isn’t my thing, but I just wanted to, well.. apologize.”

I gaped at him as a small shade of pink became noticeable on his cheeks. Did Draco Malfoy, the Draco Malfoy, really just apologize to me?

“Um, what?”

“You heard me, Peverell. I won’t repeat myself.” He snapped.

I start to laugh, genuinely amused. “No, Draco, I meant what are you apologizing to me for? You haven’t really done anything, besides losing your temper with me earlier, and that’s normal for you with anyone.”

A small smile began to show on his lips. Draco Malfoy smiling?! Well, today is just full of surprises!

“I meant for everything that happened between you and Pansy. She’s a bit possessive, and she took it too far this time, and if it helps, she and I are done now.”

This time I couldn’t help myself. My mouth formed a perfect O as my eyes widened in shock.

“You broke up with Pansy?” I whispered.

“Well, it wouldn’t be the first time it happened.. But yes, I did, for good this time.. She shouldn’t be bothering you again.”

I was speechless. What do I say to that? He waited, watching me expectantly.

“Well.. Uh. Thanks, Draco.”

His face fell a little before he cleared his throat. “Erm, yeah, well, okay. I just wanted you to know.”

I suddenly felt the urge to hug him. I reached out only for him to shy away, leaning back from me, this time surprise registering on his face. Note to self, do not invade Draco’s personal space. I immediately looked down, twiddling my thumbs in my lap.

“I do appreciate it, Draco.” I whispered, before standing and exiting the Great Hall, not looking back.
♠ ♠ ♠
been awhile hasn't it? sorry. :/
but i did update, that's what counts!
:D