Sequel: Better Than Revenge
Status: cookie for a comment? :)

Enchanted to Meet You

The Stick

Jacob watched me subtly from across the table, but it felt like he was poking the side of my head repeatedly with a stick. His words haunted me no matter how hard I tried to block them out.

You would if you loved her.

I kept spinning my noodles around my fork, still not finding the stomach to stick it in my mouth. And it sucked, because my mom makes the most amazing sauce ever.

I drew my eyes sideways to peek at Valerie, catching her slurp up the pasta and splatter her face with yummy sauce. She touched her chin with the back of her hand, and looked around to make sure no one had seen her. I focused my eyes back on my own plate before she noticed me watching and smirking at her.

I felt the stick poking away, and looked up to verify. I glared at him this time, but he used it as fuel. He knew he was getting to me.

"Seth,"

I blinked, following Mom's voice. "Huh?"

She smiled at me like I was a child who did something funny. "Are you alright, honey?"

"I'm fine." I muttered. Everyone was staring at me now.

"He looks pale." Leah noted.

"Didn't touch his food, either." Billy said. "What's on your mind?"

Oh, nothing. Your son is just mentally torturing me. "I think I might lay down for a while." I decided, my fork clinking as it hit the plate.

I collapsed onto my bed, squeezing my head in my hands. It wasn't fair. I shouldn't have to make that choice for her. She has the right to make it for herself, if she only knew she did. But if she knew, then she wouldn't have to worry about any of it.

"Don't hurt yourself."

I thrust myself upward. "Can't you just let me think by myself for five minutes?"

Jacob entered my room anyway. "I just wanted to apologize for being so... assertive. You can do whatever you think is right."

"Yeah, but I don't know what's right. Everything I do is wrong."

Jake laughed at my expense. "Why are you so uptight?"

"Jake, it's not funny!" I yelled. "I'm losing my mind."

"It's not that big of a deal. She'll probably just remember on her own eventually. You just have to help her deal, if you want her to be with you."

It made me guilty to think about it. "But the only reason she's all confused is because of me. What if doing the right thing means that I have to give her up?"

Jake shrugged, a smug look on his face. "Maybe it does. But she's your imprint. You know better than anyone else what's right for her."

I thought about it, came up blank, and groaned. "Then why the hell is it so hard?"

"Who said it was easy?"

"What makes you certified to ask me rhetorical questions?"

"Hey, I love her too. She's the best friend I have outside the pack. And I know her deepest, darkest secret." He added with a teasing tone.

"She has one of those?"

He nodded. "Oh, she didn't tell you?"

I threw my pillow at him. "Liar."

He threw it back, but I ducked. He dropped his smile.

"Val is my best friend, and I want what's best for her. So I trust that you'll make the right decision. Seriously, though, consider what I said?"

I sighed, reluctantly agreeing.

Jacob shoved my head and pinned it to the bed. "Take your nap."

"Ow, you're squeezing my brain."

"Good, it builds character."

"What are you doing?" I knew it was Valerie's voice.

Jake let me up. "It's a guy thing." He dusted his hands and gave menone last shove. "Did you need something?"

She scratched her head. "I was just making sure Seth was okay."

I smiled at her. Her smile back wasn't the same as it should have been. All of the sudden, I wondered just how far she was in remembwring anything. I started to think about how she would react to future events that would frighten her, and if that was what would bring the frightening memories back, but also the great ones we made. If I let her go, there was a chance she wouldn't have to feel scared like that again. But then she would never remember me.

I found myself holding the stick that was poking me this time.
♠ ♠ ♠
hi hi. i wrote this on my ipod so if the format is all screwy i apologize. I'll fix it when i can :) comment and subscribe!!