Status: Active

Beautiful Mistake

Chapter Five

"Alright-we'll see you guys later." Willy Wonka said to the Jonas'. Ashley looked sad to see me go. "Ash-did you want to come?" He asked, chuckling. She nodded looking at her mom.

"Go ahead." Her mom said, smiling at my uncle. Ashley jumped up excitedly. Kevin chuckled. We waved goodbye and skipped out the door.

"Let's walk." She suggested. I nodded and we waved again. We started walking to my house and a few seconds later Willy Wonka flew by honking. We giggled. "So, Chrissie-" She began

"So, Ashley-" I replied and she made a face.

"Ashley is only if I'm in trouble. Ash, or Ashy." I laughed.

"Ok, Chris, or Chrissie, never Tina." I said and she nodded.

"Fair enough."

"So what were you gonna say?" I asked.

"How do you like it here so far?" She asked, jumping up onto the curb.

"It's nice, different." I shrugged.

"Yeah-you're gonna get a lot of different when we leave next week." She said.

"You're going?" I asked. She nodded.

"Yup-aren't you?" She asked, confused. I shrugged.

"I dunno."

"You should-it'd be so much fun!" She said excitedly. I laughed.

"Willy Wonka said he was going to talk to someone, but I haven't heard anything."

"Well, you should. I don't like being the only girl on tour." She said and I laughed.

"Alright. I'll talk to Uncle Charlie." I said and she hugged me excitedly. I chuckled. We reached the house and walked inside.

"Charlie!" Ashley yelled.

"Out back." He returned through the screen door. We walked to the back deck and saw him starting up the grill.

"Uncle Charlie?" I began nervously-I hated asking for things.

"Yeah, kiddo?"

"Um-Ashy has something to ask you." I dodged, pushing her forward. She looked at me and then back at my uncle.

"Well, I was thinking that it might be fun if Chrissie comes on tour with us-you know how I'm always complaining about being the only girl." She said.

"Alright. I'll call Henry tomorrow." He said and I just stared. Nothing could ever be that easy.

"See-piece of cake." She said.

"Pie." I corrected. She laughed.

"You say pie-I say cake." We headed up to my room and I pushed my door open to see a black acoustic guitar on my bed. My jaw dropped. My old one had been destroyed. I walked over to it and gingerly touched it, not really believing it was there.

"Like it?" Uncle Charlie asked from the doorway. I turned around to see him leaning against the door frame, smirking.

"It's for me?" I asked, confused.

"Of course. Custom made." He smiled. I hugged him.

"You didn't have to." I whispered.

"I know-but I wanted to. I knew you missed your old one." I smiled.

"No more gifts-you're done far more than enough." I said and he kissed my cheek, leaving to go back downstairs.

"You know how to play?" Ashley asked, picking up my new guitar. I nodded and she handed it to me. I sat on my bed cross-legged, I strummed a few chords and began to play a song, closing my eyes. It was one of my favorite songs by Paramore called That's What You Get.

No sir, well I don't wanna be the blame, not anymore.
It's your turn, so take a seat we're settling the final score.
And why do we like to hurt so much?

I can't decide
You have made it harder just to go on
And why, all the possibilities where I was wrong

That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.
That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.
I drowned out all my sense with the sound of its beating.
And that's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.

I wonder, how am I supposed to feel when you're not here.
'Cause I burned every bridge I ever built when you were here.
I still try holding onto silly things, I never learn.
Oh why, all the possibilities I'm sure you've heard.

That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.
That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.
I drowned out all my sense with the sound of its beating (beating)
And that's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.

Pain make your way to me, to me.
And I'll always be just so inviting.
If I ever start to think straight,
This heart will start a riot in me,
Let's start, start, hey!

Why do we like to hurt so much?
Oh why do we like to hurt so much?

That's what you get when you let your heart win!
Whoa.

That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.
That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.

Now I can't trust myself with anything but this,
And that's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.


I trailed off singing quietly and she started clapping. Then I heard more people clapping than just her. I opened my eyes to see Kevin and Nick standing in my door way.

"That was great." Kevin said. I smiled, blushing a little

"Thanks." I moved over, giving them room. "You guys can come in." I said. They came over and sat down. Ashley was extremely quiet after that.

"Where's Joe?" Ashley asked as we headed downstairs.

"Waiting until the very last possible moment to get here." Kevin said as we headed outside to sit by the pool.

"Why?" I asked, surprisingly a little disappointed.

"Because he knows you're mad at him." Nick explained.

"I'm not mad. If he wants to be mad at me, or take out his problems on me-I just don't want to deal with it." I shrugged.

"So you're not mad that he yelled at you for no reason?" Kevin asked, trying to get what I was saying.

"Nope."

"Why?" Ashley asked. I shrugged.

"Used to it." I mumbled.

"What?" Nick asked. Frankie ran and jumped on my lap.

"Joe's here." He said. Kevin nodded and we heard their parents call for the three of them and Ashley's mom call for her. They all got up and left me sitting there. In my old house-the rule was don't move unless called. So I stayed put.