Status: Active

Beautiful Mistake

Chapter Nine: Joe's POV

I was putting the dishes away in the kitchen as Nick and Kevin came in, talking about Chrissie. 'She looked even more gorgeous this morning.' I thought-then I mentally smacked myself. I cannot get involved. I'm always the one to get hurt and who's to say this time would be any different? Not that she'd be interested in anyways. After what I did last night-God, I'm an idiot. The only thing we had left to clean was the basement-our practice room. We had cleaned the pool, the living rooms, the back and front halls, the dinning room, our rooms, the patio and I was just finishing up the kitchen. I finished the dishes and we headed down to the basement. I hadn't spoken all day, or all last night. My brothers had been trying to get me to talk about what happened with Chrissie, but I didn't want to. I had told her I wanted to forget about the kiss-but the truth was-it was all I could think about. It was amazing-she was amazing-that's why I can't get involved. She'd probably find someone better-like all the others-and leave me and forget about me-just like all the others. We reached the bottom of the stairs and I began absent mindedly picking up movies and organizing the games.

"Joe's actually picking up-without a fuss?" Nick gasped jokingly. Kevin felt my forehead.

"No fever." He informed Nick. "Dude-what is up with you? You never clean and you're never quiet." He said.

"Yeah-and you didn't even talk in your sleep last night-which you always do." Nick joined in. I just shrugged.

"I just haven't felt like talking." I said quietly.

"He's in love." Kevin swooned. I chuckled.

"No, I'm not-but good guess." I lied convincingly. I wouldn't call it love-just butterflies every time she looks at me.

"Dude-what is it, then?" Nick asked. "Talk to us."

"Is it about Chrissie?" Kevin asked. I shrugged. "Did she yell at you?"

"No-worse." I mumbled. I would prefer her to yell at me, instead of not even looking at me.

"What?" They asked together.

"She wouldn't even look at me-and personally-I don't blame her……After what I did-I deserve it." I muttered.

"What'd you do?" Nick asked, sitting behind his drum-set.

"Kissed her and told her to forget it happened." I said quietly.

"You what?!" Kevin exploded.

"Trust me, Kevin-there's nothing you can say to make me feel worse than I already do." I said, finishing picking up. I headed up the stairs to go up to my room. The doorbell rang and I looked through the eye peep to see Rachel and Monica. I bit my lip to stop from cursing and rushed back downstairs.

"What?" They asked, seeing my face.

"Rachel's here. I'm not-got it?" I asked, starting to panic. I try to avoid her as much as possible.

"We're on it." Kevin said, as they headed up the stairs. I followed and ducked into the kitchen where I could hear them perfectly.

"Is Joey here?" I heard Rachel ask.

"No-he had to run out for a while." Nick said. Normally that boy couldn't lie for the life of him-but to Rachel-he was a pro.

"Oh-well, could you boys give him a message for me?" She asked in that too-sweet voice that made me sick.

"Sure." Kevin said dully.

"Tell him I took care of that nasty new little pest for him. He shouldn't have any more problems with……it." I heard her say and knew instantly she was talking about Chrissie. Shit. I felt my blood begin to boil. Now I had to do damage control to a girl who wanted nothing to do with me because I'm a retard.

"Yeah-great-bye." I heard Kevin say quickly, shutting the door. They came into the kitchen.

"What did she mean?" Nick asked, looking at my pale face.

"She talked to Chrissie." I sighed. "Kev, can you call Ash and get them to come over here? I have to talk to Chrissie." I mumbled. He nodded, pulling out his cell phone.

"Hey, Ash-it's Kevin. Yeah-listen-can you guys come over here? Thanks, we'll see you soon." He said, flipping his phone shut.

"They coming?" I asked. He looked at me for a second.

"Yes, Joseph-they are. That's why I said 'see you soon'." He said mockingly. I rubbed my face.

"I wasn't paying attention." I said dully. "I was……" I sighed, went in the living room and sat on the couch.

"You ok, Joe?" Nick asked, sitting next to me. I shook my head.

"I've never been like this with a girl. Why her?" I mumbled, pushing my fists to my forehead.

"I don't know. Do you like her?" He asked as Kevin sat next to me on the other side.

"I just met her two days ago. That'd be stupidity on my part." I muttered.

"Joe-if you do-it's not like it's something you can help." Kevin said.

"I know-but I don't. I just made a stupid mistake and made it worse by trying to fix it. And now I have to fix what ever Rachel told her-but after that Chrissie probably won't want anything to do with me." I sighed.

"Why do you care what she thinks?" Nick asked. I shrugged.

"I dunno. I just don't want her to believe what Rachel says. We all know what lies she can come up with." I said, groaning just thinking about it.

"Joe-you don't know what Rachel said. Or the Chrissie even listened. Just calm down, ok?" Nick said, trying to relax me. I took a deep breath. "Now let it out slowly." He said. The doorbell rang and Kevin went to go get it. He came back with Ash and Chrissie and my breath caught in my throat.

"So what's up?" Ashy asked, confused. I stood up and gently pulled Chrissie into the kitchen, her hand sending tingles up my arm.

"What's going on, Joe?" She asked quietly.

"Do you want something to drink?" I asked nervously, getting out a glass.

"Water, please." She said, sitting at the counter. "Joe-"

"What did Rachel say to you?" I asked, setting her water in front of her.

"Nothing of importance. Don't worry about it." She said.

"But I do. I wanna set the record straight. I've known her my whole life and I don't think I've ever heard the truth come out of her." I said, desperately wanting to know what she heard.

"That's good to know." She said, sipping her water. "But you don't have to worry. And I don't need to hear your side or her side. This is between you two." She said. I groaned.

"But I have to tell you-" I started.

"I don't want to hear it, Joe." She said loudly. "Thanks for the water." She said before walking out of the kitchen.

"Bye, guys." I heard her say. I heard the door shut and I walked back into the living room, dropping face first onto the empty couch next to the one Kevin and Nick were sitting on.

"So-how'd it go?" Kevin asked. I groaned into the pleather.

"She hates me because of stupid Rachel." I groaned again. They were quiet, not knowing what to say to make it better. Why did I even get involved with that little two-timing skank? I cursed at myself. The front door opened and I jerked my head up-thinking, hoping it was Chrissie-but it was just my mom and Frankie. I dropped my head back down as Kevin and Nick got up to help with groceries.

"Joseph!" She called.

"He doesn't feel good." I heard Kevin say.

"Alright, well, just relax then, sweetie." She said. I dropped my head back down and exhaled heavily. I reluctantly stood up and went up to my room and flopped on my bed, passing out.

"Joe-for the last time-get up or mom'll cancel tour on account of your lazy butt." Kevin said, pelting me with pillows. I groaned and rolled over trying to get him to stop, but fell out of bed instead. I heard him laugh as he walked out of the room.

"Jerk." I muttered. I got in the shower, did all my stuff and went back to my room for my cell phone.

"Joe-there's someone here to see you." My dad called up the stairs. There was an odd sound to his voice. I headed down stairs, hoping it was Chrissie, but saw Rachel standing there. I made a mental note to tell my dad to tell her to piss off next time.

"Hey, Joey." She said sweetly. Honestly, I hated being called Joey. It just didn't fit me. I smiled politely. "Well, aren't you going to invite me in?" She asked rudely-like it was top priority. I bit my lip to keep from making a rude comment that I'd get beaten for.

"Gee, wish I could, but-I'm going to see someone." I lied.

"Who?" She asked interestedly.

"Rachel-it's none of your business. Now please stay away from me." I said as nicely as I possibly could. She just stared at me.

"But, Joey-" She started

"And it's Joe, or Joseph. Not Joey." I smiled. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to finish getting ready." I said, opening the door, indicating I wanted her to leave. She scoffed and stomped out. I smirked to myself, shutting the door.

"Dad!" I called, heading for his study.

"Joe!" He called back. I pushed open the door and sat in one of the chairs. "What's up, son?" He asked, glancing at me.

"That girl who was just here-" I said, pointing in the vague direction of our front door.

"Yeah."

"If she ever comes back-I'm not here and she's not allowed in." I said, trying to be nice and clear at the same time.

"That's awful rude." He said, giving me a 'watch-your-tone' look.

"Dad-that girl is telling Chrissie lies about me and she's the one who almost got me arrested." I said and he looked at me.

"That's her?" He asked, surprised. I nodded.

"So, please. Remember those rules." I said, he sighed.

"Joe-everyone deserves a second chance." He said, looking at me over his glasses.

"I know, Dad. I'm just not ready to give her hers yet." I said and he nodded.

"Alright, fair enough." I smiled and walked out of his office.

"So who are you going to visit, Joe?" Kevin asked, looking at me from the stove.

"Ok-so I lied a little." I said shrugging.

"You know she's going to make sure you go somewhere." He said, referring to Rachel. I sighed.

"I'll go see Charlie, then." I said dully.

"Or Chrissie." He said.

"Nah-she doesn't want to talk to me, thanks to Rachel." I said, slipping on my shoes and heading out the door. I looked around, trying to see Rachel before heading to Charlie's. I reached the door and knocked loudly. Chrissie opened the door and smiled, catching me off guard.

"Hey." She greeted, pulling me inside.

"Hi." I said back, confused.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"Nothing. Is Charlie around?" I asked. She seemed a little taken aback and shook her head slightly, then nodded.

"Yeah-he's in the kitchen." She said dully and headed back up the stairs. I watched her walk up and then headed to the back to the kitchen.

"Hey, Joe." He said, looking up at me.

"Hey." I said quietly, sitting on the tall chair at the island.

"Everything alright?" He asked and I shrugged.

"Rachel came over today." I muttered and he snapped his head up.

"I thought we made it clear you're to stay away from her." He said sternly.

"Trust me, I'm all on board for that." I said quickly. "So I told her she couldn't come in because I had to go see someone so I decided to come see you." I shrugged.

"It sucks not having Mandy around, huh?" He chuckled. Mandy was one of my best friends but she was in Florida on vacation right now.

"Very."

"Well, Chrissie's upstairs if you wanna go talk to her." He said.

"She hates me-although she was all smiley when she answered the door." I said, remembering.

"She doesn’t hate you. Why would you say that?" He asked in a shocked tone.

"Because she talked to Rachel and I tried to fix it and she got all mad at me."

"Maybe because it didn't need fixing." He suggested.

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"What if she wasn't mad at you so she didn't need an explanation? Maybe she didn't listen to that girl." He said. I looked up at the ceiling and bit my lip.

"I'm an idiot." I muttered.

"Pretty much." He joked.

"Can I go talk to her?" I asked as someone knocked on the door. I heard Chrissie open it and laugh. I heard her shriek in laughter and I heard them coming into the kitchen. Chrissie was on some guy's back, smiling.

"Hey, Ayden." Charlie said. He smiled.

"We're going out, I've got my cell." She said as they turned to leave.

"Bye." They walked out looking very close. I put my head down and stood up.

"I'll see you later, Charlie." I said and walked out.

"What happened?" Kevin asked as I flopped on my bed. I had gone straight home and up to my room.

"She has a boyfriend." I muttered.
♠ ♠ ♠
please message me and let me know what you think of this story-even if you hate it, i still want to know. thanks everyone