Status: Completed

We've All Been Lost for Most of This Life

One

"I don't think this is really the kind of thing my parents had in mind when they said you could be in charge while they were gone, Jeana," Brian Elwin Haner Jr. whined from his position hand cuffed to a chair.

"Well too bad, cootie boy!" Jeana Madel stuck her tongue out at her next door neighbor keeping a safe distance. Her twin sister Marie was standing next to her, holding a plastic bag full of Oreos and and a juice box. They both had the same rich brown hair and deep green eyes, even though Jeana thought her eyes were darker and Marie thought her hair was lighter. Their parents said it was the opposite, and no one else could really tell. There was little to no discernible difference yet between their childishly soft features, the cute little noses and the almost pouty mouths.

Jeana was born those few irrelevant seconds before Marie, and so she was put in charge. Judging by the fact that it was her idea to use their daddy's handcuffs to take Brian prisoner, Marie didn't think her parents would make that same mistake again.

"I'm gonna tell on you!" Brian threatened, struggling against his metal bindings.

"Yeah, well my daddy's a police officer!" Jeana countered with no lack of authority. "He can put you in jail."

A whole three months the girls senior, he ordered them to release him. He looked exactly like his father when he made the little frustrated face he was wearing then.

"No," Jeana said simply. "Come on Marie, let's watch cartoons. Scooby Doo is on,"
Her sister just munched on another cookie, offering one to Brian. She felt sorta bad for him. He accepted eagerly, letting her put it in his mouth for him, seeing as his hands were obviously behind his back.

"Eww! Rie, you're defiantly gonna get cooties now!" Her sister stomped her white stocking clad foot against the floor aggravated that no one was really listening to her. She was still wearing the stormy dark blue dress their parents had put her in when they were planning to visit her great aunt Claudia, in what her mother had called her 'final days'. That plan had gone out the window when they got a call from the hospital and had to rush off to see her 'one last time'. They didn't want the girls' last memory of her to be of her death, so they left them at the Haner's house.

Marie was dressed identical to her sister, but for the fact that her dress was a light ice blue.

She gave Brian a sip of her juice box- fruit punch. He said 'thanks' shyly and she nodded blushing.
Jeana, frustrated, dragged her sister by the arm into the den/livingroom where they could bond over the antics of Shaggy and Scooby (their two favorite characters) on the comfy couch in there.

The fourteen year old babysitter, Anna, was upstairs blaring music and talking on the phone to her friends. Brian's parents had gone with their friends for the evening, so it was basically just the three of them.

"What about me?!" Brian screamed.

"Don't worry," Marie said smiling. "I'll come back for you," She promised before disappearing through the doorway.
Brian slumped over thinking Liar. But, a glimmer hope lingered in his chest.