Dance With Me

Just Friends: Shane POV

"AND another one gone and another one gone, and another one bites the dust!" I sang. Then Bethany and I both screamed out, "Hey, I'm gonna get you too! Another one bights the dust." Then we sang the weird screaming part.

We pulled into the parking lot laughing hysterically. I turned down the volume and then shut off the car. We both got out and took our bags out of the back seat. We bought them together so they'd match. We met freshman year and were instant best friends. We bought the bags as constant reminders that here at the performing arts academy, or anywhere else in this world, we'd always be there for each other. Always.

We walked side by side toward the school. I accidentally dropped my keys and stopped to pick them up. Beth walked a little then stopped and turned slightly around. As I lifted the keys up I looked up at Beth. She looked really pretty today. I stumbled while trying to get up. Beth laughed at me and helped me get up.

"You're a wreck."

"But I love me," I said wrapping an arm around her playfully.

She smiled to herself and looked away slightly. She softly said, "Yeah, I do."

I smirked and let her go. We walked together into the school and then stopped at her locker. She turned the lock a few times while I softly sang, "Turnin' right stop at thirty eight. Turn to the left, missed your exit. Continue on, stop at twelve. We're almost done! Take the next right at one!"

She turned to me, "Stop singing my locker combo!"

I laughed at her and she popped it open. She rolled her eyes at me and grabbed her yoga pants out of her locker. She slammed it shut then walked down the hall. I easily caught up with her.

"Hey, is something bothering you?"

"No, I'm fine." There was an awkward pause, before Bethany added, "I'm just confused. By a lot of things. Everything is just so God damn confusing. I need to dance. I need to just get it out. I don't think I can hold it in any longer."

"Do you need a hug before you go into an intense power yoga sesh then your feet begin to bleed because you were dancing too much?"

She looked at me her eyes quickly filled with tears before she blinked them back and grabbed me. I was wrapped in a hug so tight it could have crushed my lungs. I secured my arms around her and smoothed out her hair.

"Bethy you should have said something to me earlier. You know I'm always here for you. Come on, let's get all these bad vibes out. Let's meditate and stretch. And there should be a guitar in the back of the room and I'll run a song idea I've had by you. Okay? Come on let's go," I loosened the hug and took hold of her hand.

We've always had this kind of relationship, but holding her hand made my stomach go into a knot. But the good kind of knot. I hid my smile and led her into the dance room. I set up mats for us while she took off her jeans and slipped into her yoga pants. I turned around to face her when she was done and she was going though her duffle bag.

"What you looking for?"

"I made this great calming playlist, and I burned it to a CD... Where is it?" She then pulled it out and handed it to me because I was closer to the boom box. I put it in and a mix of slow Beatles songs, some Dirty Gold songs from ROAR, and instrumental music that made me sway. In my head I began choreographing. Bethany was at her mat and stretching. I joined her on my own mat. We were silent all though out our work out. I glanced over at Beth when she was deep in meditation when she slowed down her yoga. I slowly got up and walked over to the lonely guitar in the back of the room.

I moved my mat so I was facing Beth at some distance away. I sat and put the guitar in my lap. I ran my finger tips across the strings. Beth wasn't paying attention. I ran my fingers though my hair and took a deep breath.

"I wait for you to give me a sign. You tire me I have uncertainty. About how you feel, how your heart works. I just need to know for sure. If I asked you out, would you smile and say yes? If I held your hand, would you tell all your friends? If I sang you a song, would you ask me to sing it again? Or maybe we should just be friends. Or maybe we should just be friends."

Bethany opened her eyes and looked at me, "I really love that."

I smiled, "I'm glad. I have only that so far, and a bridge."

She crawled over to my mat, "Please play it."

I smiled and sang, "Maybe I'm the one for you, maybe you're the one for me. Maybe we were meant to be, together forever."

"You need to finish writing that, I'm in love with it. It's describing part of all the confusion in my life right now exactly."

She had no idea it was about her. And she had no idea how much she broke my heart with that one sentence. She liked someone else, and I was falling for her so hard. Maybe we should just be friends, after all.