Too Young for This

Three

“So what happens now?” I said. The doctor had just come back saying that neither me nor Eden came back as matches for Braden. I wasn’t getting Emily or Logan tested.

“What about her parents?” he said.

“Both of them are dead.” I said.

“Camilla Williams and Patrick Kane?” He said. I shook my head.

“That’s not her dad’s name” I said.

“Are you sure?” he said.

“Yes. Eden’s fathers name was Alexander” I said.

“Her mom was remarried, too” he said.

“Shit, you’re right. Is he still alive?” I said. He nodded.

“He still lives in Dallas” he said. I was shocked, but asked for the address. I went and grabbed Logan from Jonathan and told him I was taking the car.

“What? Why?” Jonathan objected.

“This is a matter of life or death for my son Jonathan. Just give me the fucking keys” I said. Finally, he gave in and handed me the keys.

I sat in front of Patrick Kane’s house for 10 minutes until I felt like I could do this. I silently got out of the car and unbuckled my sleeping son. Cradling him on my left arm, I walked to the door and rang the doorbell. A woman answered the door.

“Can I help you?” she said.

“Is this the home of Patrick Kane?” I asked, politely.

“Yes. It is.” She said, smiling.

“May I please speak with him. It’s, uh. It’s about his daughter” I said.

“Come on in” she said, letting me in. “He’s in his office, last room on the right”. Thanking her, I walked toward the office, while Logan wiggled in my arms.

“Come in” Patrick Kane’s voice said when I knocked on the door. I stepped inside and I sat down in front of him.

“How can I help you? Mr.?” He said.

“Burns. Kyle Burns.” I said.

“Ah, Mr. Burns. How can I help you?” he asked again.

“Um, well you see. When I was seventeen. There was this car accident, your ex-girlfriend and her husband, were both killed. Your daughter, Eden, was placed under custody of my parents. Two months later, she discovered she was expecting her, well, our, first child. We discovered Braden in June, he was born in November. Between that time, we married. But, as of right now, your daughter is laying in a hospital bed in a coma, and your oldest grandchild is laying in a hospital with leukemia.” I said.

“Eden, my Eden? In a coma? How long as she been out?” he said.

“Well, Logan’s 3 months now. He was born the night of the accident.” I said.

“And Braden?” he said.

“Me and Eden aren’t a match. I came to you, because you’re the only option we have left. My bandmate, Jonathan, has your granddaughter at the hospital with him right now.” I said.

“What are we waiting for?” he said, “ Let’s get to the hospital.” He pressed a button on his desk and spoke.

“Lucy. Can you come in here.” He said. The woman came into the room.

“Yes, Pat?” she said.

“This is our son in law, Kyle. He’s married to my Eden. And they have, 3 children, correct?” he said.

“Yes, sir. Three. Braden, Emily, and Logan.” I said. She smiled and gave me a hug.

“Kyle, would you like me to watch Logan while you’re gone?” she said. “I’m an retired preschool teacher.”

“Sure” I said, handing over the small baby and his bag. “Come on Mr. Kane”

“Kyle, you can call me Pat. I’m you’re father-in-law, not a business partner.” He said.

When we arrived at the hospital, I automatically heard “Daddy!” from Emily. I picked her up and carried her with me to the testing room.

“Can I help you Kyle?” the doctor asked.

“This is Patrick Kane. He needs to be tested to see if he’s a match for Braden.” I said.

“And his relation?” he asked.

“Maternal Grandfather” Patrick said. After he was tested, I looked at him.

“Do you want to see Braden or Eden first?” I said.

“Braden.” He said, so we walked to Braden’s room where he was watching Blues’ Clues.

“Hey buddy” I said.

“Hi Daddy! Who’s the man.” He said.

“Hi, Braden.” Pat said.

“Hi. I still don’t know who you are.” Braden said.

“I’m your Grandpa.” Pat said, sitting on the edge of the bed. After a bit, we walked to Eden’s room.

“She looks so much like her mother.” He whispered.

[Eden Burns]

I didn’t know where I was. I could hear voices, but they were distant. I heard professional sounding people, I heard little kids. I heard Jonathan’s voice, I heard Kyle’s voice. I heard Catt’s voice. I heard something about Leukemia and Braden. And Something about Kyle not wanting the divorce. I heard Kyle and Jonathan talking about a boy named Logan and how well he was doing compared to his mother.

I didn’t know how long I’d been out. I didn’t know when I was going to wake up. I felt like I was just wondering around in this place, confused.

“Eden!” A voice said, making me turn. It wasn’t distant, rather close actually, I saw a figure of a teenage boy walking towards me. I wasn’t really alone.

“Who are you?” I asked.

“My name is Jaxon. Jaxon Kane.” He said.

“I’m sorry. I don’t know you.” I said.

“You wouldn’t. I’m your half-brother. 3 years younger than you.” He said.

“Are you dead?” I said. “Am I dead?”

“I am, yes. But you, Eden? No. You’re in between. You still have a choice.” He said. “I was sick, so I didn’t get a choice when I went into a coma. I was only 15”

“So why do I have a choice?” I said.

“Because you were in an accident. Because you have a family” he said. “You have a husband”

“Kyle” I said.

“And a son” he said.

“Braden” I said.

“And a little girl who just turned two” he said.

“Emily” I replied.

“And another little boy.” He said.

“I don’t know his name.” I said.

“His name is Logan.” He said. “Logan Cooper.”

“Okay.” I said. I was still confused. I didn’t know why he was talking to me. I didn’t know why I was replying to him.

“Eden, tell me something. Who all’s in your friends and family” he asked. “Tell me everything you know”

“My name is Eden Jaid Kane, but my last name is Burns now because I’m married. My husband’s name is Kyle William Burns. We have three kids. I got pregnant at 17. My birthday is November 30. Kyle’s birthday is September 5. Braden’s birthday is November 28. Emily’s birthday is August 3. I’m going to guess and say Logan’s birthday is June 14, because that’s the day of the accident. I was in a car accident. My favorite color is purple. My best friends name is Catt. She’s married to Jonathan, who’s in Kyles band, Forever the Sickest Kids. They have a little girl named Haylen. Her birthday is July 4. Jonathan calls her firecracker. They’re trying for a second baby. My mom and dad had me out of wedlock, and my mom married and abusive druggie. They were killed in a car accident. I lived with Kyles parents and Kyle until Braden was born. Then I moved to California with Kyle until Braden was 14 months old.” I said. “I have blue eyes and light brown hair. Kyle has blonde hair, blue eyes and so do all of the kids. Kyle plays drums. I graduated at the top of my class. Kyle was #2 in our class. Braden was kidnapped by Kyle’s crazy exgirlfriend the day we graduated and I’m a writer!”

“Eden, you’re all there.” He said. “You don’t have any brain damage. All you have to do is wake up.”

“Okay. I’ll do it. I’m ready. I want to see my family.” I said. “But I’m going to wait until I know Kyle’s in the room. He needs to be the first person I see.”

“He’s in there Eden, and so is dad and Emily” he said. “Braden’s down the hall, getting treatments for ALL. But he’s going to be okay. I’ve seen the list of kids he’s going to take in the next 20 years, and Braden’s not on it.” And then he disappeared, leaving me alone again. I thought hard about what I was going to do and suddenly I was aware that someone was holding my hand. And the voices were louder now. I was waking up.

“Eden, please, wake up. I need you.” It was clearly Kyle talking to me. I was suddenly aware my mouth was dry and my lips were chapped. I could hear noises in the room besides Kyle’s voice. I could hear another man talking in the room to a little girl. I could hear the machines keeping me alive.

“I love you Eden, I love you so much” he said. Then there was a grunt as he picked something up.

“Mommy wakes up pwease! We missed yew!” a little girl voice said. I felt my lips move into a smile.

“Oh my god she just smiled. She’s aware we’re here” Kyle said. “Eden if you can hear me, squeeze my hand.” I squeezed his hand lightly. He sounded like he was going to cry when he told the other man to go get the doctor. I force my eyes open and closed them again really quick because the light was blinding. Finally after a few moments, I blinked and couldn’t see clearly.

“Glasses, Water” I croaked softly. Kyle chuckled handing me a glass of water and putting my glasses on my face.

“Thank you” I said, I was still hoarse, no doubt from the breathing tube they’d had in for about six weeks, from the sign that said “Week twelve, no breathing tube for six weeks.” When the other man came in I could look at the doctor.

“Okay, Eden. Can you tell me where you’re at?” he said.

“Dallas Community Hospital.” I answered.

“Tell me about yourself.” He said.

“My name is Eden Jaid Kane, but my last name is Burns now because I’m married. My husband’s name is Kyle William Burns. We have three kids. I got pregnant at 17. My birthday is November 30. Kyle’s birthday is September 5. Braden’s birthday is November 28. Emily’s birthday is August 3. I’m going to guess and say Logan’s birthday is June 14, because that’s the day of the accident. I was in a car accident. My favorite color is purple. My best friends name is Catt. She’s married to Jonathan, who’s in Kyles band, Forever the Sickest Kids. They have a little girl named Haylen. Her birthday is July 4. Jonathan calls her firecracker. They’re trying for a second baby. My mom and dad had me out of wedlock, and my mom married and abusive druggie. They were killed in a car accident. I lived with Kyles parents and Kyle until Braden was born. Then I moved to California with Kyle until Braden was 14 months old.” I said. “I have blue eyes and light brown hair. Kyle has blonde hair, blue eyes and so do all of the kids. Kyle plays drums. I graduated at the top of my class. Kyle was #2 in our class. Braden was kidnapped by Kyle’s crazy exgirlfriend the day we graduated and I’m a writer!”

“Can you write your name for me.” He asked. I wrote my name.

“Can you see me fine.” He asked. I nodded.

“You seem to be normal. We’ll get you stabilized again medication wise within the next week.” He walked out of the room. After a moment, I looked at Kyle, who looked like he was going to cry.

“I love you.” He said.

“I love you too” I said.

“I love you so much and I’m sorry I put you through so much shit. I’ve walked in your shoes. I know what it’s like now. I’m so sorry. I was a jerk to you. We married young and had a family young. I love you so much Eden. I don’t want that divorce. I couldn’t live with myself if I let you get it.” He said, kissing me over and over again.

“Kyle hush.” I said. “Go get people! I need to see my family!” He laughed and walked out to the waiting room to get people. Apparently he hadn’t told Jonathan I’d woken up because Jonathan looked like he was on the verge of tears when he came in.

“Oh my god, sissy you’re awake” he said running over to give me a hug. “I missed you so much”

“I want to see my baby” I said.

“Which one?” Kyle asked.

“Braden.” I said and hit the nurse button. When she came in, she frowned at me.

“Yes?” she said, putting on a fake smile.

“I want to see my baby!” I said.

“Why can’t you have your husband bring him in.” she said.

“Because he’s in the fucking children’s wing suffering from fucking cancer now let me see my damn child!” I said. Kyle smiled and I was soon in a wheelchair with Kyle pushing me down the hallway. He knocked on the door.

“Hey Buddy?” he said.

“Yeah.?” Braden said.

“Someone’s here to see you” Kyle pushed me into the room.

“Mommy!” he said and jumped off the bed to give me a hug.

“Braden! I missed you!” I said, hugging him and kissing him. The next knock on the door came from my dad.

“Eden. I want you to meet your stepmother, Lucy.” He said.

“Hi.” She said.

“You also have 3 younger siblings. Brendon, Kaylen,” he said

“And Jaxon” I said.

“How did you know?” he said.

“Because I saw him, when I was out. He came to me.” I said. They all smiled and my dad laid a small bundle in my arms.

“This is Logan, Eden. Our youngest son.” Kyle said. I smiled.

“I love you. I love you all” I said.
♠ ♠ ♠
woooo.
finally..
yay
comment