Status: I have left Mibba and moved to fanfiction.net. You can find the link in my profile.

Like a Skyscraper

I awaken and untangle you from me

Emmett looked down at the blonde cuddled up next to him in bed. He lightly ran his fingers through her short hair and smiled. He could get used to holding her while she slept. Emmett leaned down and kissed her forehead softly trying not to wake her up. It was only two in the morning. A light buzzing pulled him out of his trance. He looked over at his cell phone on the nightstand. Someone from home was calling him.

Emmett carefully maneuvered himself out of the bed and untangled Kaelyn’s legs from his. Uncaring that he was still stark naked, Emmett grabbed his phone and headed into the bathroom to answer it.

“Hello?” he asked once the door was shut to block the noise from reaching Kaelyn’s sleeping form.

“I know where you are.”

“Rose? What do you want?” he asked rubbing his temples.

“It’s time we talked about our future together—“

“Rosalie, you know where I am and who I’m with. Our future together is nonexistent,” Emmett snapped feeling irritated. Leave it to Rose to ruin his bliss.

“Listen carefully to me, Emmett. I’m giving you two options. One, leave Kaelyn and come back home with me like before or two, stay with your whore and I’ll do everything in my power to make sure she never sees the light of day again.” Rose hung up with a click leaving Emmett stunned.

He knew Rosalie would be mad, but mad enough to threaten Kaelyn’s life? Emmett clenched his phone in his hand feeling is crack in his hold. He slowly opened the door and looked at Kaelyn, oblivious to his inner turmoil. Taking a few calming breaths, Emmett exited the bathroom and pulled on his boxers before he sat down in an armchair in the room. He stared out the doors leading to the balcony and lost himself in thought.

Kaelyn groaned lightly and rolled onto her back on the bed. Emmett jerked to attention and looked at the clock that read 9:12. Kaelyn slowly sat up and held the sheet around her torso and chest.

“Emmett, what are you doing up?” she asked groggily and smiled at him. Memories of last night flooded her mind and the soreness her body felt added to her happiness. Emmett tried to smile back and stood up.

“Kaelyn, about last night…” Emmett tried to start. He didn’t want to do this, but in his mind it was the only way to keep Kaelyn safe. Kaelyn’s smile fell and dread filled her stomach.

“Emmett, please… Don’t…” she whispered. Emmett grimaced and let his head fall a little.

“Last night was a mistake… It shouldn’t have happened. Rosalie—“

“Stop. I don’t want to hear anymore. I just want to go home,” Kaelyn mumbled and searched for her clothes to put back on.

“We can pack and—“

“No, I’ll get a ride back,” Kaelyn cut him off.

“Kaelyn, it’s a long drive—“

“I said I can get a ride,” her voice cracked at the end and tears shone in her eyes, but she didn’t back down. The blonde quickly redressed in the bathroom and packed her bag without looking at Emmett. Emmett didn’t know what to do or say. His heart was slowly breaking as he watched her pack her bag.

“Where are you going?” Emmett asked as she walked to the hotel room door.

“I’m going to wait in the lobby,” she mumbled and shut the door behind her. The finality of the situation broke Emmett down and he punched a hole in the wall. A wall he would have to pay for later…

~*~

Kaelyn carried her bag into the lobby and set it down next to a chair. With shaking hands, she pulled out her phone and called Paul.

“Kaelyn?”

“You were right about him… Why was I so blind?” Kaelyn rushed out feeling her emotions get the better of her.

“Are you talking about Emmett? Kaelyn, where are you?” Paul questioned feeling panicked.

“I’m in Strawberry Bay with him. But I don’t want to be here anymore. Please come get me,” she whispered.

“I’m already on my way. Just wait for me and I’ll be there as soon as I can.” Kaelyn nodded and hung up the phone not being able to talk anymore. Where did it go wrong? Why did he suddenly want to back out of it? Kaelyn slumped down in her seat and wiped the tears away.

It was better this way… They couldn’t have been together in the long run anyway. Emmett needs to stay with Rosalie; someone who will be there for him… Kaelyn hiccupped and tried to stop crying. No matter how hard she tried to convince herself that this was a good thing, her heart was crushed and it felt hard to breathe.

Kaelyn sat in that chair for what felt like forever before her phone started to ring again. Paul’s picture popped up on the screen and she quickly answered it.

“Where are you staying? I’m driving down First St.” Kaelyn quickly told him how to get to the hotel, and it wasn’t long before the tan man was walking into the lobby area. At the sight of her friend, Kaelyn broke down again in tears.

Paul quickly rushed over to her and wrapped his strong arms around her frame. Her smaller hands fisted the front of his shirt as she tried to pull him closer.

“Hey, what happened?” Paul asked gently once he began to pull away. Kaelyn shook her head and wiped her eyes. Paul grabbed a tissue box off a nearby table and handed it to her.

“I don’t want to talk about it. I just want to go home,” she pleaded looking up at him. Paul looked at her red eyes from crying and felt like killing the bloodsucker who made her feel that way.

“Where is he?”

“Please, Paul. Please just take me home. I don’t want to see him or talk to him. I just want to go home… with you,” she begged. Paul sighed and pulled her up. He grabbed her bag and wrapped an arm around her shoulder as they exited the hotel. He quickly loaded her bag into his Ford F150 before helping her in and driving off.

Emmett stood on the balcony and watched the two drive away. He gripped the railing so hard he made indents on the iron. Emmett quickly grabbed his phone and called Rosalie back.

“Did you make up your mind?” she asked sweetly once she answered.

“I hope you're happy,” he forced out through clenched teeth.

“As long as you stay away from her, I’ll be just peachy,” Rosalie replied. Emmett growled and snapped his phone in half. He had already cracked it earlier, so he didn’t care what happened to it now. The only thing he cared about was in a truck with another man driving far far away from him…

Emmett turned and slowly walked back into the hotel room feeling drained. He rubbed his eyes and looked around the room where he made love to Kaelyn just last night. His eyes fell on the nightstand where he saw Kaelyn’s dog tags laying. She forgot them.

Emmett softly fingered the chain running through the tags before sliding them on and tucking them safely beneath the shirt he’d put on a few minutes ago. He wanted to be with Kaelyn more than anything, but he knew that he couldn’t in order to save her from Rosalie. But that doesn’t mean that it won’t hurt like hell to do it.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I made a mistake. Strawberry Bay is actually pretty close to Forks, but earlier I said that it was a few hours drive away. I'm sticking with a few hours away for the sake of the story :P But I hope you like it! More drama to come, and don't give up on Emmett and Kaelyn! <3 and yeah, Rosalie is a bitch in this story :P