Status: I have left Mibba and moved to fanfiction.net. You can find the link in my profile.

Like a Skyscraper

To watch me while I bleed?

Kaelyn laid in bed staring at the ceiling after her alarm went off. She couldn’t skip school again or try to avoid Emmett forever… Sighing, the blonde threw her feet over the edge of the bed and forced herself up to get ready for the day. When she walked downstairs, her mom was waiting for her in the kitchen with breakfast already made.

“Are you feeling okay?” Lila asked her daughter when he noticed the dark circles under her eyes.

“Yeah, I just didn’t sleep to well. I’ll be fine,” Kaelyn replied and sat down to eat her eggs.

“Are you sure you don’t want to talk about what happened with Emmett?” Lila was surprised to find her daughter coming home earlier than expected a few days ago, and Kaelyn didn’t want to explain what happened or why Paul was the one dropping her off.

“Emmett isn’t who I thought he was. Things ended badly and Paul brought me home. There’s not much to talk about,” Kaelyn mumbled.

“Did you tell him about the cancer?” Lila asked softly thinking about Emmett reacting negatively to the news and wanting to end what they had going on between them.

“No, I didn’t tell him. And it’s easier this way because I won’t ever have to tell him…”

“And what about Paul?” Kaelyn’s heart stopped for a minute. She didn’t want to imagine how he would react. She knew he cared about her on a more intimate level, but telling him would hurt him. So would not telling him. Kaelyn sighed unhappily.

“I haven’t told him, but it will happen eventually,” Kaelyn whispered and took her plate to the sink.

“I’m sorry for bringing all this up, Honey. I don’t want to think about it either,” Lila got out trying not to cry in front of her daughter again. She needed to be stronger for when Kaelyn truly needed her.

Kaelyn smiled at her mom and went to grab her bag, but a sudden dizzy spell made her lose her balance. Luckily, Lila caught her before she fell.

“What happened?” Lila asked quickly. Kaelyn closed her eyes tightly and with the help of her mom, stood back up and held onto the kitchen counter for support.

“I’ve been having more dizzy spells and headaches lately. It’s nothing too bad,” Kaelyn clarified, but Lila picked up on it quickly.

“What about your joints? Are they hurting? Have you been bruising more lately?” Lila asked slightly panicking. Kaelyn tried to smile a little but failed.

“I didn’t want to worry you about it. Dr. Bensen gave us a deadline so I expected this. Mom, it’s okay. I’m fine now, and I need to get to school. Can we talk more when I get home?” She asked softly. Lila, still shocked from the news, only nodded. Kaelyn grabbed her bag and left to drive to school. She didn’t want to worry her mom, but the symptoms were getting worse…

~*~

“Kaelyn!” The blonde turned in time to see Alice jogging over to her.

“Hey, Alice,” She smiled and closed her car door.

“Hey, where were you yesterday?” Alice asked as they walked in the parking lot together.

“I wasn’t feeling too well and took a sick day. I still feel under the weather,” she mumbled.

“I kind of heard about what happened with Emmett,” Alice spoke softly, but it still made Kaelyn’s heart break a little.

“I’d rather not talk about him. He had me completely fooled,” Kaelyn grumbled and focused on the school building that was slowly growing closer.

“I don’t want to push it, but I’m sure he has a reasonable explanation…”

“At the moment, I’d rather not hear it. Let’s change the subject. How’s your graduation party planning going?” Kaelyn asked looking at her again. Alice smiled and went along with it as she told her about all the details even though Alice had a feeling Kaelyn wouldn’t come.

~*~

Emmett watched Kaelyn park and walk with Alice, their conversation clear as day in his ears. His heart clenched when he heard how sad and angry she sounded. He was tempted to walk over to them, but the hand on his arm stopped him.

“Do not talk to her,” Rosalie hissed at him. Emmett frowned and pulled his arm out of her hold so he could walk alone into the school building. But Rose was persistent and walked beside him the whole way smiling like they were still happy together.

“Rose, I want to be alone,” Emmett growled under his breath. She look at him carefully before replying.

“You better be at lunch and sit beside me,” She warned before leaving him alone like he wanted to be. Emmett made sure she was gone before following Kaelyn’s scent and finding her first class. Subtly, he glanced inside and saw her talking to Jasper and Alice. Alice looked over and made eye contact with him before shaking her head no. Emmett sighed and pushed away from the doorframe to walk to his class.

He wanted more than anything to talk to her and explain himself, but that would never happen. She didn’t even want to hear it which she already told Alice this morning. Emmett steeled himself and went to his first class.

~*~

Lunch rolled around and Bella found Kaelyn quickly enough.

“Hey, you’re back! Ready for another tense lunch?” Bella asked jokingly. Edward hadn’t told her what happened yet between Kaelyn and Emmett so she was still in the dark about everything.

“Uh, I’m actually going to eat outside today. I’ve been sick and I think some fresh air will do me some good. But I’ll catch up with you later, promise,” Kaelyn smiled and left a confused Bella behind her. Edward walked up beside his girlfriend and poked her.

“You coming?” he laughed. Bella brushed off her encounter with Kaelyn and nodded. The couple walked over to the usual table and sat down with everyone else.

“Have you talked to Kaelyn today?” Bella asked Alice. Rosalie and Emmett both tensed for different reasons but didn’t say anything.

“Only this morning, why?” Alice asked a little worried.

“She seems really distant. I asked if she was eating with us, but she said she was feeling sick and wanted to eat outside. I don’t know, I’m kinda worried about her,” Bella mumbled not realizing the two uncomfortable people at the table.

“She mentioned this morning she’s been sick. She’ll be fine later, I bet. She probably doesn’t want to be around anyone right now,” Alice mediated to the brunette. Bella nodded, but she still glanced outside trying to find her blonde friend.

Emmett did the same and saw her on the far side of the courtyard sitting under a tree. He bit his lip, but stayed put in his seat. It also didn’t help that Rosalie’s long nails were digging into his thigh harshly.

The lunch bell finally rang to Emmett’s relief and he escaped to go to art class. At least then he could be alone with Kaelyn and maybe talk to her without having to worry about Rosalie getting in the way.

Emmett walked into the room and saw Kaelyn already there, but she was sitting at a different table. Confused, he walked over to Mr. Hines and asked if they got a new seating chart.

“No, Kaelyn wanted to change tables and Stephanie agreed to change places with her,” Mr. Hines explained. He wanted to ask if Emmett and Kaelyn were having problems as art partners, but as a teacher he didn’t want to deal with the drama that came from asking those questions.

Emmett nodded and walked over to his seat. He tried to make eye contact with Kaelyn, but she kept her eyes focused on her desk. Stephanie was more than happy trying to talk to him, but Emmett just gave her the cold shoulder and tried to pay attention to what Mr. Hines was talking about.

The class drug on, but once the final bell rang, Emmett was out of his seat. He tried to reach Kaelyn, but she was already half way down the hall.

“Kaelyn, wait,” He tried and she finally stopped once they were outside.

“Kaelyn…” The blonde in question slowly turned around with hard eyes.

“What do you want, Emmett?”

“I want to talk—“

“I don’t want to talk to you right now,” Kaelyn cut him off, “Rosalie is waiting for you.” Emmett looked over and saw the blonde vampire glaring from where she stood by his Jeep.

“But I need to explain…” He tried again.

“Explain what?” Kaelyn asked incredulously, “You made things perfectly clear. Now my ride is here.”

“You drove this morning,” Emmett said quickly thinking she was trying to make an excuse to leave, but he looked over and saw Paul pull up and get out of his car.

“Are you with Paul now?” He asked.

“What I do is none of your business,” Kaelyn said and turned around to leave.

“Kaelyn!” Emmett called after her but she didn’t turn around and kept walking over to Paul. Paul smirked at him before getting back in his car and driving away with Kaelyn.

“They look cozy together,” Rosalie said from behind him.

“Shut it. Get a ride from someone else or run home, but I need to be alone,” Emmett growled and left her behind in the parking lot.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooo that was awkward... Things will be pretty tense between them for the next few chapters, but more happens with Paul and a lot of secrets are about to be revealed :D So stay subscribed lol!