Status: I have left Mibba and moved to fanfiction.net. You can find the link in my profile.

Like a Skyscraper

All my windows still are broken

The drive to La Push was quiet as Kaelyn looked out the window, and Paul looked at her in turn. He saw the end of her confrontation with Emmett and had questions, but he knew that right now was not the time to bring them up. Kaelyn was biting her lips harshly with her arms wrapped tightly around her middle. Paul sighed and parked his car in front of his house. He cut the engine and turned to face the blonde next to him.

“Do you want to talk about what happened back there?” He finally asked. Kaelyn slowly turned her head and met his gaze.

“It was nothing. Emmett was just trying to talk to me, but I don’t want to talk to him… Ever.” Kaelyn grabbed the door handle and got out of the car. Paul followed after her quickly. She walked up his porch steps and over to the bench swing he had hanging near the front door. Kaelyn sat down and pulled her knees up. Paul gently sat down next to her, pushing the swing slowly back and forth with his feet.

“Did he bring up what happened last weekend?” Paul questioned. Kaelyn avoided looking at him but nodded her head to his question. Paul leaned back and wrapped his arm around Kaelyn’s petite shoulders.

“He realizing how big of an idiot he is,” Paul whispered. Kaelyn snorted and shifted around so she was snuggled against Paul with her head resting on his shoulder. His arm tightened its grip around her in return.

“Well now he can live happily ever after with Rosalie for all I care,” Kaelyn grumbled.

“With that frigid bitch? I’m surprised he hasn’t fallen over dead yet from being with her,” Paul joked getting a quiet laugh from Kaelyn. Even though it was early May, the weather was still pretty cool with it being about 64 degrees. Kaelyn wrapped her light jacket around her tighter and looked up at Paul.

“Let’s go for a walk.”

“To any place in particular?” Paul asked with a raised eyebrow.

“First Beach?”

“Sounds good to me,” Paul grinned as they stood up and walked towards the trees behind his house. There was a worn trail that led straight to the beach. Kaelyn linked their arms together and huddled closer to his body for warmth.

“How can you not wear a jacket? You’re unnaturally hot…” Kaelyn trailed off. Paul smirked, unable to help himself.

“Why thank you,” He winked. Kaelyn rolled her eyes and smiled.

“But that’s just how I am. I’m pretty immune to the cold.”

“Lucky,” Kaelyn breathed and rested her head on his shoulder as they continued to walk. Paul had many more questions swarming through his head, but he didn’t know if Kaelyn would be open to answering them. One was about how she smelled differently, but he couldn’t really ask her about that without revealing his secret to her…

“I like moments like these. Everything is peaceful, and I don’t have to worry about anything,” Kaelyn said gently, breaking the silence around them.

“I like this too. The woods feel like home to me; it’s where I am most like myself. And I like having you with me,” Paul added smiling down at her. Kaelyn tried to hide her blush and looked forward seeing the beach begin to appear.

“Is the water still cold?”

“It's always cold,” Paul laughed when he answered her. The Pacific Ocean is known for its temperature. Kaelyn, on the other hand, is used to the warm waters in Florida that get heated easily by the sun. The pair made their way over to a fallen log and sat down. The waves were crashing softly against the sand, and birds were cawing in the background.

“Paul, I need to tell you something,” Kaelyn said feeling overwhelmed. She needed to just get it out and finally let Paul known about her diagnosis and what would happen soon.

“You can tell me anything,” Paul whispered staring into her eyes. A lump formed in Kaelyn’s throat, making it hard for her to breath. Tears glistened in her eyes, and she attempted to speak, but no words would come out. Seeing her struggle, Paul pulled her into his lap and wrapped his arms around her protectively. Losing her courage, Kaelyn shook her head and hid her face in the crook of his neck.

“You’re one of the most important people in my life,” She told him instead. Paul smiled and kissed her forehead.

“Ditto.” Kaelyn pulled back a little and smiled through her tears. Reaching up, she cupped his cheeks with her hands and slowly pressed her lips to his. Shocked, Paul sat completely still before moving the kiss her back. He never imagined he’d get another chance to kiss her.

Paul shifted Kaelyn around so her legs were on either side of him before holding onto her hips to continue the kiss. When he tried to deepen it though, Kaelyn pulled back quickly. Her eyes were wide and guilty.

“Paul, I—“

“Sh, I know. We’re just friends, but I couldn’t help myself when you kissed me. I know how you feel, don’t worry. I’m still here for you,” Paul said, his heart clenching in his chest. Kaelyn wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him. They sat there for a long time, content just being around the other. Neither of them kept track of the time.

~*~

Emmett ran his fingers over the dog tags for the umpteenth time that day. His eyes were glazed over as he stared out the window in his bedroom thinking about Kaelyn again. Esme stood in the doorway, surprised that Emmett hadn’t acknowledged her presence yet or didn’t sense it for that matter.

Esme cleared her throat gently, and Emmett let his hand fall down to his side as he turned around to face his mother figure. Esme could see the emotions clearly displayed on his face and felt sorry for him.

“Let’s talk, Honey.” Emmett nodded as Esme closed the door behind her and sat down in one of the chairs in his room. Emmett sat on the edge of his bed and looked at her blankly.

“I know that you and Rosalie are fighting about Kaelyn, but you know that we won’t let Rosalie carry out any of what she’s says she’ll do,” Esme got right to the point. Emmett blinked and sighed.

“It’s not just that. I know that the family would get involved to stop her, maybe even the volturi if they had the hearts, but it’s also the fact that Rosalie won’t stop. Even if we stop her from hurting Kaelyn, the threat will always be there, and what if one day Rosalie does act? I wouldn’t forgive myself if Kaelyn got hurt…” Emmett explained. Esme frowned but nodded.

“I see where you’re coming from, but there are so many more possibilities than just that. If Kaelyn knew—“

“I don’t want her to know about us, Esme. I want her to have a normal life,” Emmett grumbled, but it broke Esme’s heart. She knew about Kaelyn’s cancer, but agreed with Alice not to tell her son.

“Maybe normal isn’t what she wants. What if she wants to find happiness? With you? I think she should have the option,” Esme said, considering Kaelyn doesn’t have any other options. She found it funny though. They were both keeping something important from the other…

“I don’t know, Esme. I don’t know if I can even make it right between us. I screwed up too bad in Strawberry Bay. Kaelyn won’t even talk to me…”

“Find a way to make her listen, or say your goodbyes and leave her alone. You can’t do this to yourself and mope around all the time,” Esme whispered, her voice full of motherly love. Emmett nodded and watched Esme stand. She kissed Emmett’s temple before opening his door and walking out into the hall. She saw Rosalie glaring at her from the end of the hall.

“I understand that this is hard for you, Rosalie, but you had no right to do that to Emmett and Kaelyn. You took their choice away from them, and now things are more complicated than they should have been. They both deserve the chance to figure this out themselves, without others interrupting them,” Esme lectured. She loved all of her family, but that doesn't mean she condones the decisions they made.

“He’s my husband. I shouldn't have to deal with another woman getting involved,” Rosalie spat.

“That would be true if it was any regular woman, but Kaelyn is Emmett’s singer. You and I both know that this is different… You need to step back and give Emmett the space he needs to make his own decisions,” Esme said calmly.

“So he can leave me for that human? That’s not happening, Esme!” Rosalie snarled. Esme frowned.

“Rosalie, look at yourself. This isn't good for you either. It’s unhealthy. Have you even stopped to think about your intentions for coming between Emmett and Kaelyn? Do you still love Emmett or do you just not want to lose something that was once yours?” Rosalie’s eyes widened, but she shook her head forcefully.

“Emmett and I have been together for too long to just throw it away on a whim,” Rosalie remarked.

“This isn’t a whim. This is a life changing situation, and maybe it’s time for both of you to find someone new. Emmett found his singer, but now it’s your turn, Rosalie. You deserve to be happy, but Emmett can’t do that for you anymore. Someone is waiting for you out there, but you’re too obsessed with trying to hang onto Emmett,” Esme said trying to make her understand. She wanted Rosalie to be just as happy as Emmett was with Kaelyn, but Rosalie was being too stubborn to see that she could be happy with someone else.

Rosalie snarled and turned away, done with the conversation. Esme frowned sadly as she watched her daughter go down the stairs and out the back door in anger…
♠ ♠ ♠
Kinda on the shorter side and a filler. I'm leading up to more! Within in the next few chapters, secrets will come out(: They involve Paul too so keep your subscription! <3 Love y'all!