Status: I have left Mibba and moved to fanfiction.net. You can find the link in my profile.

Like a Skyscraper

Only silence, as its ending

“So how far is La Push from Forks?” Kaelyn asked Bella as she drove them down to the Indian Reservation just outside of Forks.

“It’s only like 5 minutes away. We’ll be there in no time,” Bella replied. Kaelyn nodded and looked out the window to watch the trees whiz by. How did she end up driving with Bella to La Push? She blames Bella's stupid boyfriend and his amazing persuasion skills…

~*~

”Kaelyn, do you have any plans this weekend?” Alice asked after school on Friday.

“Not so far. I was just going to hang around town or with you, but you’re going camping so that’s a no,” Kaelyn replied. Alice pouted and that’s when Edward spoke up.

“You should hang out with Bella. She’ll be alone this weekend too because I’m going on the camping trip with Alice,” he said as they all stood outside in the parkinglot.

“Edward, I’m going to La Push to hang out with Jake and the guys,” Bella spoke up. Kaelyn felt slightly awkward like the child of divorced parents when they’re trying to decide who will keep her for the weekend.

“It’s okay. She can go with you and meet the guys.” He said something quieter to Bella that she didn’t quite catch, but it almost sounded like “And she’ll make sure he keeps his hands off you…”

Bella sent him a small glare and turned to face Kaelyn with a forced smile.

“The boys at La Push are throwing a bonfire party tonight. You should come with me,” Bella said. Kaelyn was about to reject the offer, but the encouraging look from Alice stopped her. She mentally sighed and agreed to go with Bella.

“Great, I’ll pick you up at 7 tonight.”


~*~

“So what do we do at these bonfire things?” Kaelyn asked as they got out of Bella’s truck.

“Um, we sit on logs around a fire and talk. Emily usually cooks a bunch of food so we eat too. It’s just a big social gathering and the guys are really nice, so you won’t have a problem fitting in,” Bella replied with a much more genuine smile than she had before. Kaelyn nodded and followed her further onto the beach.

“Bells! You’re here!” a really tall, buff guy ran over to Bella and Kaelyn. He grabbed her in a hug and swung her around before setting her back on her feet.

“Jake, this is Kaelyn. She’s new to Forks,” Bella said getting her giggling under control. The tall guy named Jake gave her the once over and held out his hand.

“Jacob, but you can call me Jake if you want. Nice to meet you,” Jake shook her hand eagerly and dragged the two girls over to the bonfire.

“Hey guys, Bells brought a friend. This is Kaelyn,” Jake introduced her to everyone. All the attention on her caused her cheeks to heat up considerably.

“Hey Kaelyn,” a chorus of male voices said. She gave a shy wave and followed Bella over to a log where they sat down with Jake. The two began catching up and Kaelyn felt left out. Maybe coming with Bella was a bad idea after all.

“So you're Kaelyn, right?” a boy asked sitting down next to her. Kaelyn blinked to make sure she wasn’t seeing things, and that this cute boy was actually sitting next to her.

“Uh yeah and you are…?” she asked softly.

“Paul Parker,” he said with a wink. Kaelyn laughed lightly and settled into a quiet conversation with him.

“You live in Forks?” he asked and took a sip of his soda.

“Yeah, I just moved here earlier this week from Florida,” she replied. Paul’s eyes widened and he smiled.

“That’s a big change. Sunny Florida to rainy Washington,” he tsked.

“Eh, so far so good. I do miss the beach, but my mom is happier here so I can’t complain,” she smiled.

“So do you have a boyfriend yet?” he asked with a sly smile. Kaelyn’s mind wandered to Emmett and she didn’t know why.

“Nope.”

“Good, no competition then,” Paul joked. Kaelyn slapped him lightly on the arm.

“Don’t get cocky now. I never said there wasn’t someone that I liked,” she stuck her tongue out at him.

“You like someone?!” Bella spun around to face Kaelyn. She was at a loss of words because she said something irrationally. She wasn’t exactly thinking of someone when she said it, but now Emmett wouldn't leave her mind.

“Uh, well, not exactly. Okay… maybe,” she stuttered. Bella smiled a little. Edward told her what was going on with Emmett and Rosalie and right now Rosalie wasn’t her favorite person. She didn’t want their marriage to go down the drain, but from what she’s seen, Kaelyn would make him happier.

“I think I know who it is,” Bella smirked. Kaelyn turned cherry red while the two boys just sat there not knowing what to say.

“Bella,” she warned, but the brunette didn’t listen.

“Is it Emmett?” she asked softer even though she knew both the boys could hear her.

“That Cullen?” Paul asked with a sour look on his face.

“I do NOT! Besides he’s with Rosalie…” Kaelyn trailed off and looked at the blazing fire. The sun was setting and it was becoming the only light around.

“You know, I thought that I would never be able to be with a guy like Edward, but look what happened,” Bella said.

“Was Edward in a relationship when you met him? Did he ignore you in class and act like you were some kind of disease?” Kaelyn asked negatively. She didn’t know why she was getting so worked up about it, but it felt good to vent.

“No, he was single, but he did act the same way. I think it’s the Cullen boys’ way of telling a girl they like her,” Bella smirked knowing Emmett was having a hard time being around his singer just like how Edward was with her.

“No offense, Bella, but Rosalie is beautiful. Emmett would be a fool to leave her. Besides, having a relationship is not what I need right now,” she muttered.

“Why’s that? Is something wrong?” Bella asked looking concerned.

“Huh? Oh no, nothing’s wrong,” she said too quickly for Bella’s liking.

“It’s just that I’m new here and I’m trying to fit in still,” she lied through her teeth. Paul didn’t buy it and neither did Bella or Jake, but they dropped it. If she didn’t want to talk about it then they weren’t going to push her to.

They were soon interrupted by a man in a wheel chair. Paul leaned over and whispered in her ear that he was Jake’s dad, Billy. Everyone gathered around the camp fire and listened to Billy tell the tribal legends. Kaelyn was so engrossed by them that she didn’t notice or mind much when Paul wrapped an arm loosely around her waist. She was encased in warmth and wanted to snuggle closer but stopped herself.

Billy told them about the shape shifters and the cold ones that once walked around La Push. It sounded like werewolves and vampires to Kaelyn, but she knew that it was just a tale. Those things don’t exist in real life.

“Hey, ready to go?” Bella asked. Kaelyn was starting to nod off on Paul’s shoulder. She jolted up and wiped her mouth in case she had drooled. Paul chuckled at her actions and stood up as well to stretch.

“Uh yeah if you are,” Kaelyn replied with a smile. She checked her phone and saw it was just past midnight.

“Okay, let me go say bye to Jake.” Bella jogged off and left Kaelyn alone with Paul.

“Thanks for hanging out with me tonight. I had fun,” Kaelyn said. Paul looked at her smile and wanted more than anything to imprint on her, but if it hadn’t happened by now then it wouldn’t happen later. But that didn’t mean that he wasn’t going to try to pursue her. Kaelyn was beautiful and fun to be around.

“No problem. I had fun too. Hey, can I have your number so we can hang out again soon?” he asked.

“Yeah, I’d like that,” Kaelyn smiled again and it almost took his breath away. The two exchanged numbers and then Kaelyn was pulled away by Bella to leave. Jake stood next to Paul as they watched the girls leave in Bella’s old, red truck.

“Jake, for once in my life, I actually want to imprint, but she got away,” Paul grumbled. Jake patted his back and smiled.

“Don’t worry man, I know exactly how you feel.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments!! And don't worry, this IS an Emmett love story, but with LOTS of drama ;)