Until the Tide Returns

Surprise!

I had no idea where we were going for dinner. No one would tell me. I found this really odd since it was Landon’s birthday and apparently I was the one that was supposed to be surprised. I looked at the package in my hands. Hopefully he liked it. I asked Loraine what to get him but she just grumbled something about him being a ‘smug asshole’. So I bought him a new journal. The one he had been writing in at Loraine’s looked like it was almost full.

“So where is your dad?” She asked from the backseat after having forced me up front beside Landon in his new car. Tank, Loraine, and Nat were in the backseat. Amy, Charles, and Dean were following behind us in a separate car.

“Maryland.” I looked into the mirror on the visor so I could see her.

“What’s he doing?” I swallowed and looked back down at the package in my hands.

“He went to visit my grandparents.” I lied.

“He didn’t take you? Well that’s fucked up. Did he hide you from them too?”

“Loraine!” Landon, Nat, and Tank all hissed.

“It’s fine.” I sighed looking out of the window. We had been in the car for awhile now. Half an hour. “They know about me, they write to me all the time. He just had some family stuff to deal with.”

“Uh, you are his family.” Loraine said.

“It’s not safe for me there.” Best explanation I could give.

“No offense, but your dad left you locked up for along time when we live in the freaking desert. I’m not exactly sure he should be the reigning authority on what is and isn’t safe.”

“Loraine,” Landon warned “drop it.”

“Whatever you say birthday boy.” There was something in her tone I couldn’t quite read. We rode in silence until we reached the restaurant. Well, mostly. Loraine kept making weird comments towards Landon that I as usual didn’t understand.

“This can’t be right.” I said looking at the restaurant. The bright blue lettering read ‘Jacob’s 32’ the name of Billy’s restaurant. He wasn’t the most creative with the name. He just used part of his last name and his jersey number.

Billy was gone most of yesterday. This could explain why. But he would have told me he was opening one around here, right?

Billy met us at the door and gave me a hug. Luckily we didn’t have to wait in line. “What do you think weirdo?”

“I think you should have told me.” I said pulling away from him. He laughed. “Does Dad know?” Billy smiled and ignored my question.

“Nikki will show you to your table. Order whatever you want, it’s on the house.” We all thanked him and followed the hostess to a large round booth towards the front of the restaurant. Sitting down we all placed our packages in the center of the table and picked up the menu’s.

“You must be Beckett.” A tall blonde haired green eyed guy said holding a light colored wicker basket in his hands looking directly at me. “I’m your waiter Mike and I’ll be taking care of you all tonight.” He set down the basket and I immediately groaned. The group looked at me suspiciously. Inside was a loaf of bread wrapped in a deep blue silk napkin. “He said you would like it.” Mike winked.

“Right, so I’ll have a coke.” Landon sounded annoyed. Mike smirked and looked back at me.

“Same.”

“Diet.” Loraine smiled at him, as the rest of the group gave him our drink orders. “Not to be rude,” Loraine said when Nat gave her drink order, the last one, and he stood there for a moment smiling at me, “but could you hurry it was a long drive and I’m super thirsty.” He nodded at her and walked away.

Loraine grabbed the bread basket and pulled it towards her grabbing a small plate off of the stack in front of us. “So what’s your problem with the basket?”

“Because it’s supposed to be how he found me. Just on a smaller scale.” Loraine laughed. “It’s not as funny as it sounds.”

“It’s sweet.” She said. “You know what’s not sweet? The way the waiter keeps eyeing you. Even if he is hot.”

“It was a bit weird.” Amy agreed. I looked around the booth and wondered how the seating ended up as it had. I figured Loraine would be seated next to Landon considering how close they are. Instead Dean sat at the end beside Amy. Charles was to her left beside Landon, I was on his left and then it was Tank, Loraine, and Nat.

“You were found in a basket?” Nat asked.

“Yeah, Billy was my dads roommate in college and my mom dropped me off at their dorm. Billy was the one that found me.”

“Well where is your mom now?” She asked taking the bread away from Loraine and cutting her own piece.

“No idea.” I shrugged. Maybe I would know next week. It was doubtful.

“I’m sorry.” I smiled at her as thanks. Mike came back with our drinks and smiled at me again. I saw Loraine nudge Tank out of the corner of her eye. He didn’t do anything.

“Here you go.” Mike handed me my drink first and then Loraine’s. Loraine nudged Tank again, who still didn‘t do anything. He gave Landon his drink last. “I’ll be back in a few minutes to take your order.” He flashed me another smile and then turned and left.

I picked up my menu and studied it quickly deciding on what I wanted. When I lowered the menu Loraine was staring at me. “What?”

“That waiter is totally going to ask you out or for your phone number.” She looked kind of pissed. What did I do?

“What are you talking about? He’s just being nice. Probably because Uncle Billy told him to.” She rolled her eyes.

“I’m with Loraine on this one.” Nat said. Landon shifted in his seat.

“Yeah.” Charles agreed.

“You really should pay more attention to your menu, or Landon. It is his birthday after all.” I sighed. “Can I have the bread?” I asked Nat. She slid the basket over to me. I ripped a chunk off and nibbled on it. Everyone looked down at their menu’s.

“What are you getting?” Landon whispered after a few minutes. I looked at his menu and pointed the chicken and shrimp option. “Sounds good.” He said pushing the menu away and pulling a chunk of bread off of the loaf.

“You really don’t see how he keeps looking at you do you?” Landon asked. Loraine’s head snapped up. She had been acting weird most of the night. What was with her?

“No.” I shrugged. “He’s just being nice. It’s his job.”

“If that’s what you think then this won’t change how he acts.” Before I could ask what he meant he had his arm around my shoulders, his hand resting just below my sleeve on my arm. Loraine smiled and mouthed ‘told you’. What was she talking about?

“Are you ready to order?” Mike asked approaching the table. He smiled at me. His eyes flickered to Landon’s arm on my shoulder and his smile faltered.

“We’re both going to have the chicken and shrimp.” Landon said with a very smug look on his face. Mike nodded and smirked.

“I didn’t realize there were still guys who didn’t let their girlfriends order for themselves. Then again, I prefer to let my women think for themselves.” I smiled at him sweetly and tilted my head to the side.

“I’ll be sure to let my uncle know how sweet you are when he comes home tonight.” I could have corrected him but then whatever Landon was doing would have been pointless.

“Just doing my job.” Did he honestly not catch the sarcasm in my tone? “Any appetizers?”

“The fondue pot.” I said glancing down at the menu. “Two of them.” I was highly considering ordering enough to make Billy regret the free meal for everyone as a repayment for the bread basket. But seeing as the fondue was meant for four and there were 8 of us I figured that should be enough for now and I didn‘t want to waste food. There was always desert. Everyone else added their orders and Mike left again casting me another smile.

“That wasn’t awkward.” Loraine rolled her eyes. “So why don’t you open your presents since we have some time to kill?” She looked at Landon and smiled.

“Because I don’t want to chance fondue getting on them.” Landon said to her his arm still around my shoulders. Should I not have ordered it?

“Sorry, I just figured-”

“He’s referring to Loraine’s inability to eat anything that involves dipping without making a mess.” Dean cut me off.

“Blame gravity. Not me.” She said eyes narrowed at him. “So birthday boy what’s your wish going to be this year?”

“For you to quit talking.” He smiled. His arm was still around me, and now I didn’t know whether I should try to move away from him or not. He had only done it to prove a point, which I guess he kind of did, so why keep it there? I liked it there, he was warm. And for some reason it made me feel like I was completely safe. It’s not that I felt I was in danger, it was more like nothing could harm me as long as his arm was there. Was this normal or just something specific to Landon? I could ask Billy, but that would most likely just end up in nonstop teasing for the rest of my life. Something I already had but didn’t need more of. I could ask Lor- never mind. I have a feeling she’s the last person I want to talk about this with. Maybe I could test it out somehow? Like find another boy to do it and see if I felt the same way. My gut was already telling me it wouldn’t be the same. And I wasn’t sure where I would find one. I couldn’t exactly waltz right up to some guy and be like, ‘I’ll give you a buck if you put an arm around me’. Amy! I could ask her. But I wasn’t about to outright do it in front of everyone. Maybe I could get her phone number and ask her.

This would definitely be something a girl would talk to her mom about, unfortunately mine was out in the world somewhere. For all I knew she was dead. That was a depressing thought.

I spent a lot of time in the car and I had a feeling if I didn’t go make sure everything was fine Billy would come and insist I go do it. That would be mortifying. I had made sure I was full that morning but that was a while ago. Way to play it safe. I looked to my left and smiled apologetically.

“I’m really sorry but could you let me out?” These booths were impractical. It inconvenienced everyone. Nat slid out and then Loraine and Tank. Landon pulled his arm back when I began to move. “Thanks. If you want you can all scoot in and I’ll just sit in the end when I come back.” I said after I stood up. I took off towards the front in hopes to find someone that could direct me to the bathroom.

“Beckett!” Billy called from a few tables away, he was speaking to some guests. I walked over to him and smiled politely at the people at the table. “How’s it going?”

“Fine. Just looking for the restroom.” He pointed to the back right corner. “Thanks.” I patted his arm and walked away. I made sure the restroom was empty and then switched the lock so no one would be able to enter and flipped on the sink. I watched the clock as the water absorbed into my skin. Eight minutes. Great. Someone knocked on the door. I quickly shut off the water and then unlocked the door. An elderly lady walked in giving me a very confused look seeing as there were three stalls in here. How much longer could I have gone before something happened? I was now realizing how stupid it was for me to ever think I could live a normal life. I left the bathroom and stepped into the hall.

I wasn’t ready to go back to the table yet. I needed a minute to calm my now shaking hands. I was an hour away from home. If something happened I couldn’t just run and hide in my room. I would be exposed. I leaned back against the wall and closed my eyes. Calm down. I told myself. You’re going to be fine. Just breathe. In and out. In. Out. In. Out. It didn‘t help.

“Hey.” My eyelids snapped opened. In front of me stood our waiter. He stepped forward and rested an arm on the wall beside me leaning forward. “Why are you hiding back here?” He smiled.

“Anxiety problems.” It was half true. I took a step to my right putting some distance between us. He stepped forward. So much for that.

“Anything I can do to help?” He reached out and brushed the hair off my shoulder.

“You can take two step back and not touch me or my hair.” I said. I was really uncomfortable with him invading my personal space. He laughed lightly but didn’t move. I stepped away from the wall and tried to go around him. He blocked me.

“Can we just hang out for a minute or two and talk?”

“About what?” I just wanted to get out of here. How long till that lady left the restroom?

“Is your boyfriend the jealous type?” My what? Oh. Right.

“Not that I know of.” I shrugged. Mike’s smile grew and he took another step towards me. I stepped backwards realizing I was running out of room. Being locked up in my house 10 times safer than this was.
“Then he wouldn’t mind if you gave me your phone number?”

“Don’t know it.” I said looking for any opportunity to get out of this. The bathroom door opened and the woman from before walked out but she didn’t see us. Crap.

“Then how about I give you mine?” He took another step forward causing me once again to step back and unfortunately back into the wall.

“You could, but I can promise you I don’t want it and I won’t call.” He placed his hands on the wall my head in between them.

“Oh you’ll want it.” He said and leaned forward bringing his mouth dangerously close to mine. I had nowhere to go so I did the only thing I could think of. I jerked my knee up as hard as I could between his legs. He immediately let out a loud groan and fell to the ground in pain.

“Are you ok?” Landon rushed towards me grabbing my hand and gently pulled me away from where our waiter lay on the ground. Once again I found my back to the wall but I knew I wouldn’t need to jerk my knee again. “Did he do anything?” I shook my head.

“I think he was going to try to kiss me.” I muttered. Landon placed a hand on my cheek locking his eyes with mine.

“You kneed him in the groin because you thought he was going to kiss you?” I nodded.

“I didn’t know what else to do. He wouldn’t leave me alone and I really didn’t want him to and it was the only thing I could think of.” Mike groaned out an insult or two trying to sit up.

“Remind me to ask you before I attempt anything.” He smiled, his voice held a hint of pride. “I would really prefer not to end up in the fetal position.”

“What?” He laughed lightly and shook his head taking my hand in his again.

“We’ll talk about this later.” He squeezed my hand and led me out of the hallway.

Image


“Anyone notice that the waiter has been walking funny?” Amy asked after he brought the last of our meals to the table.

“Has he?” Landon asked a smile tugging at his lips. I took a bite of the shrimp and chewed slowly.

“Yeah. He’s also started ignoring Beckett completely.” She added.

“What happened when you went to the bathroom? You were gone for awhile.” Loraine chimed in.

“Billy was talking to her.” Landon answered.

“Whatever. At least he stopped groping her with his eyes.” Loraine shrugged. “Even I was getting ready to kick him in the balls if he didn‘t stop.” I felt my face heat and looked down at my plate cutting my chicken into careful neat pieces. It would take some time and I didn’t really want anyone knowing what happened in the hallway. “What? No objections about how he was just being nice?” Loraine asked looking at me. I just shook my head and took a large bite.

“So who’s excited for the dance next week?” Nat said clearly changing the subject. “You’re coming right Beckett?” Could we please talk about something other than me?

“I have to check with my dad first.” She nodded.

“Did you hear Tanner asked Ashley to be his date?” She said to Loraine who immediately started cracking up at this news.

“The man-whore and the goody-goody. Yeah, that’s going to end well.”

“She didn’t say yes.” Nat rolled her eyes.

“Figures.” Loraine shrugged. And for the rest of the evening we talked mainly about the dance. Well, mainly I listened to everyone gossip about people at their school and talk abut previous dances. I had no idea what they were talking about half the time but I didn’t mind. A few drops of liquid from my glass nestled into my skin but I was sure none of them had noticed. My panic attack from earlier didn’t come back. Maybe I could be normal.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been awhile since I posted, I'm sorry about that. I try to stay two chapters ahead of what I post and as of now I'm one ahead. Chapter 8 was kicking my ass, and then I got some really bad news. So here's my question to you. What is it that you want to see happen? As of right now I'm completely stuck on chapter 9 and need some ideas to roll me into chapter 10 (which will be when Beckett discovers what she is).