Don't Look Back

10

I put my mask over my face and looked over at Frank. He looked back and nodded his head as we began to walk where the van was stopping. My stomach was turning and I felt like I was going to puke. I never fought my own kind before, just Killjoys. We stopped short and Better Living jumped out of the van and began to shoot.

Frank and I hid behind a huge rock as we kept shooting. I shot 2 as they ran back into the van while 3 still remained. Frank shot back and 2 of them got hit. And then there was 1. He began to walk toward us. I pulled out my gun and shot him on his shoulder. He dropped down to the ground as Frank started running towards the van. The van pulled away and drove in the other direction, I guess they didn’t care too much about their friend.

“Let’s dust him.”

“Wait Frank, can I take care of this myself please?” Frank looked at me confused.

“Alright, but make it quick. I’ll be back at home.” He ran off back towards the Diner. I looked at the still breathing enemy laying on the ground. I leaned down and took off his mask. I couldn’t believe my eyes.

“Derek?” He quickly got back up and took out his gun and pointed it at me. He held onto his hurt shoulder, the one I hit.

“Who the fuck are you and how do you know my name? No bullshit answers, I’ll fucking shot you.”

“Since when did you start cursing so much-”

“ANSWER MY MOTHERFUCKING QUESTION.” He put his finger on the trigger.

“Whoa, okay calm down. I’ll tell you.” I took off my mask as he dropped his gun in shock.

“St-Steph?” I nodded my head as he looked around. “What the? How could you-when did you?”

“I’ll be right back just-just wait here.” I ran back towards the Diner and grabbed the first aid kit without getting caught. I ran back to Derek who was still standing in the same place.

“Let’s go for a walk okay?” He nodded as we began to walk.

After about 10 minutes of walking, we were sitting on top of a hill while I was caring for his hurt shoulder.

“I’m sorry I shot you bro.”

“Hey, you’re a Killjoy now it’s your job.” He said with a laugh. I smiled to myself as I finished bandaging him up.

“There, all done.”

“Thanks.”

“So, do you have any questions?”

“How the fuck did you end up with the Fabulous Killjoys?”

“When I ran away I was staying in a nasty old hut and then Party Poison found me. After he saw the condition I was living under, he asked if I wanted to come live with him and the rest of the guys, and a little girl they take care of. So we made a deal, I would teach the little girl stuff and in return they would let me stay in their home.”

“But they live in a diner...”

“I know, but it is like a little home.”

“I just can’t believe you’re with them, they are such a big target for Better Living. What happens if you get caught?”

“Then I get caught. I’m a Killjoy now.”

“Yeah but what if they want to kill you?”

“Then I die a Killjoy.”

“Wow, you are serious about this.” I nodded my head and looked out into the desert.

“So, does Uncle Korse know I’m gone?”

“I just told him you went out to live on your own and take care of the Killjoys on your own, he’s actually...proud.”

“Proud?”

“Well he things you’re killing them, not becoming one of them remember?” I just nodded my head again.

“I’m sorry I left you.”

“No, I understand. It’s what you wanted and you’re old enough to make your own decisions. I’m just happy you’re happy.”

“You’re not going to tell Uncle Korse are you?”

“Of course I won’t!”

“How will you get back to Better Living now?”

“I can walk. We’ve done it before.”

“Right, we did.” I smiled up at him as he pulled me into a hug.

“Well you better get back, I’m sure they’re worried about you.”

“Got that right. I’ll miss you Derek. And please, come attack me whenever you want.”

“Ha! I’ll try! Don’t worry!” He laughed as he pulled me into one last hug.

“Love you sis.”

“Love you bro.” We separated and went our ways. I began to cry. That was probably the last and only time I would be seeing my brother in a long long time.
♠ ♠ ♠
College has taken over my life. I'm also studying for my drivers license, which will take a while so bare with me.

Thank you for the love and support! :)