Sequel: Yesterday's Feelings

I Woke Up in a Car

20

The night was incredible. The movie was amazing, they traveled all over the world to places like Chile, Norway, Alaska. I was completely blown away. I stayed mostly by Eric's side through the duration, his arm wrapped around me tightly. I loved just being in his presence. After so long from him, it felt good to be back. It was then that I knew, I was going to have to choose. My family, or my career.

It really sucked that I felt like I couldn't have both. The movie ended and the DJ started back up as people continued to mill about to talk and drink, some even dance. I cold feel the brunette's eyes on us for what felt like the entire night. To say I felt uncomfortable around her was the understatement of the year.

I headed to the bathroom after a few beers. I didn't realize just how much beer ran right through you like water until you drank about three or four. I excused myself from Eric and headed off, he told me he'd meet me outside. I had just finished in the stall when his new assistant come in. She crossed her arms as she stared at me.

I washed my hands and was just drying them as I looked at her, “Hi, I'm Ari.” I said, extending my hand so she could shake it, though I knew she wouldn't just from the sour look on her face.

Her lips pursed as she eyed my hand like it was filled with poison, “Oh, I know who you are. Eric keeps talking about you. About how much he misses you.” She said with a slight snarl and, was that, nah it couldn't be, jealousy to her voice.

I withdrew my hand from her and shrugged, “I was his assistant.” I said calmly, coolly, “That's all.” I said, though, I knew that's not what she was about to say.

She rolled her eyes, “Yeah bitch and I'm Mary J. Blige. I saw the way he kissed you and hugged you.” She unfolded her arms, “The way he talks about you is like y'all are dating and frankly, you need to watch your back before someone takes him from you.”

My eyebrow was slightly raised. Eric and I weren't exclusive, but, well, we weren't exactly exclusive. Talking about it had never really come up and to be honest, this girl was holding a grudge against me for pretty much nothing, really. “Someone like you?” I asked with a smirk, “Here's the thing honey, you might be his assistant now, but one, well placed phone call from either me or Eric and you are out and I'm back.”

If she wanted to play, two could play at this game. Besides, I knew that Eric wasn't interested in her and she hadn't exactly seemed to pick up on that. She leaned in close like she was about to swing until the door opened and a few loud, drunk girls staggered in to the bathroom. I too that as my cue and exited the bathroom back to Eric and hugged him tight, “Can we go?”

Eric laughed as he hugged me back, “Well, yeah, of course. Anywhere in mind?” He asked as he held his drink in his hands. I'm sure he was looking at his friends a little bit confused but I just needed to get out and away from that.. psycho.

“Anywhere but here. Maybe just for a walk.” I shouted over the music as I guided him to the door, saying our goodbyes for the night. It didn't wholly surprise me that there were people outside, mostly kids, who were waiting for some of the other riders.

One of the things that had always amazed me, and well, surprised me when I was traveling with Eric to these events was that kids wanted their autographs. These guys were heroes to people. Sure, they weren't so mainstream like Shaun White but they still drew quite the crowd. I stood aside as Eric happily signed autographs for some fans, a few even asking for pictures with Eric. It made me smile.

Once they were done, I wrapped my arm around Eric's as we walked through town. I sighed and looked up at the stars which were hardly visible in the sky. Eric must have been watching me watching the sky, “What's on your mind?” He asked.

I shrugged, “I don't know, a lot of things.” I wasn't exactly thrilled to have to go back to dealing with what felt like everything all at once. “Your psycho assistant for one.” I said.

Eric shook his head, “Rachel? Yeah, she can be a hand full.” Eric said with a slight chuckle.

I shook my head this time as we continued walking, crossing a street. “Eric, she wants in bed with you.” I said, biting my lip. Was I threatened? Abso-fucking-lutely.

“Yeah, and it's hard to fucking keep her out of it.” Eric muttered, his hand moving to rub the back of his neck, “I've changed the locks on my house and John's because she keeps just bursting in to my house and it's just weird.”

I snorted a little, “Aw, I'm sorry pumpkin, maybe you should call your management company.” I said, laughing my ass off. It wasn't funny but, well, it was kinda funny.

Eric nudged me gently, “No, what I need is for you to come back to work for me.” Eric said, “I miss you, not just, like, being able to kiss you and stuff like that. But, I miss you playing Ruby and I miss you being sane. She scares off everyone, she even scared John off, which is really hard to do.”

I smiled and bit my lip some more, “I'm sorry.” I said softly, moving to kiss Eric's cheek. He smiled as we kept walking. We really had no idea where we were going but before long we ended up at Eric's hotel. I looked up at it. The same one we stayed at when we came back. “Why here?”

Eric looked at me with a smile, “Because I have good memories here with you.” I smiled and could feel my cheek burning bright pink. Our first kiss had been here at this hotel. When Eric had finally had the balls, John told me in a phone call after Eric had left to go back on the road.

John had admitted to sort of romancing me because he knew that Eric would fall for me, Eric was just stubborn. I wasn't mad, I actually thanked John for it, he was right though Eric was as stubborn as a mule and I could be very much the same way. It gave me a good laugh at least, and John and I, I knew at the very least, would remain friends.

Eric and I rode up in the elevator. I leaned against him, my head on his shoulder, “What are we?” I asked, my voice soft, curious, quiet. It wasn't that I thought we were anything but, well, with the kissing and me ending up with Eric at his hotel tonight. It seemed for sure like something more.

Eric looked at me, a little puzzled at first before he spoke, “Friends.” He said simply. Just in time for the elevator to ding and alert us to the fact that we were now on the 15th floor of the hotel.

Were we just friends or friends that were something more, “I know.” I said, nibbling on my lip, “But, are we just friends?” I asked, the words spilling from my lips as my body stopped in the hall. I couldn't help but think aloud now.

Eric stopped to look at me. He turned. I looked down at my shoes. “Come on.” Eric walked back to me and used his finger to gently tilt my head upward, “You know that we're not just friends.” Eric said.

There was his hand in the back of his head again, ruffling his hair and he readjusted his hat, “So then what are we? I mean..” I paused, looking away from his eyes, “I don't know, I just don't know what we're doing here.”

Eric sighed, “I'm with you. That's all that should matter is the here and now.” Eric said trying his best to console me.

I stepped away from Eric for a minute now I was a little confused. “So what about tomorrow? Next week when you're back on the road with Rachel? Next month?” I asked, starting to get a little upset, a little panicky.

Eric shook his head, “Come on Ari, don't do this. Not right now. You know that I'm with you, when I say I'm with you I mean it. I'm not seeing anyone else, I don't want to see anyone else.” Eric shot me a bit of a dirty look, “I sure as shit am not about to sleep with Rachel.” Eric said.

Eric had a bit of a point on the last one, the others I wasn't wholly sure about. Maybe it was the alcohol talking, making me over-think everything and be hyper critical. Shit, I was still a virgin and I wasn't sure when, if ever, I'd be ready to sleep with Eric. I was content with the kissing and cuddling but how long would that last before he looked for a little bit greener pastures.

Eric wrapped his arms around me, “Ari, I promise. I'd never do you like that. Not when I'm seeing you, or anyone else for that matter. I'm not like that.” Eric's voice was quiet and soft, “Come on.”

Eric led me to his room on the 15th floor. The room was immaculate, with a stunning view of the city, one that still took my breath away even though it seemed like I had seen it just a short time ago. Eric wrapped his arms around me from behind as I looked out the window. I felt a little foolish, how could I doubt him, question him like that. I was being insecure for no reason.

The night was wearing on and soon turning in to early morning. I borrowed one of Eric's shirts that seemed to be like a dress on me to sleep in. We shared the lone bed, his big strong, muscled, tanned arms around me. My fingers ran over his bicep and then over his hairy chest. He wasn't nearly as hairy as John but I liked Eric being so Hairy for some reason. It was manly.

We slept well until the next morning. Eric got up early and hit the gym, I ordered room service and was preparing to answer the door, very much in a pair of Eric's shorts and his shirt. My hair, I'm sure was a wild red mess having not actually brought a brush or comb, not really prepared to have slept the night.

I was interrupted from the e-mails on my phone by who I thought was room service, bringing breakfast. “Just a minute.” I called, setting my phone down on the bed. I bounded to the door, preparing to also tip with the little bit of cash from my purse.

To my surprise, the person on the other side of the door wasn't room service and it sure as hell wasn't Eric.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Forget About It by All Time Low

Another chapter. I was hoping to do NaNoWriMo however I think I'm going to hold off on trying to do that until I finish this one.

As always, read & review!