Sequel: Thank You

Everywhere Everything

In Progress

This would make it the second time I had woken up in the tree house. This time, however, I wasn’t alone. I sat up and glanced at Brayden, who was lying face down on the hardwood floor, arms spanned out as far as they would go, heavy breathing echoing off of the hard surface. I mentally snapped a photo, stood up and started gathering my belongings. We had talked until around 4 AM, when we both passed out. Their vinyl collection left me breathless, which was saying a lot because I thought my vinyl collection was perfect. I was clearly mistaken. I opened the door as quietly as I could and started to descend down the ladder when Brayden shot up.

“DON’T TOUCH MY POP TART, MOM!” he shouted, his eyes still closed, obviously still tired. He opened his eyes and tried to focus on me. “Oh. You’re definitely not my mom.”

“Nope,” I replied, popping the “p.”

“You’re leaving?” he groggily asked, wiping the sleep from his eyes.

“Well. I forgot to get my envelope from Halvo. I have to see where I am supposed to be heading today.”

“Oh,” he said, reaching for his phone. “I’ll drive you.”

“No. It’s okay. I’ll just walk or call a cab. It’s no big deal. Go back to sleep.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” he smiled, and I was done arguing. He could take me wherever he wanted to, as long as he brought that smile along.

//\\//\\

We were a few blocks from Halvo’s house and the awkward silence was driving me crazy.

“So…” I started. Brayden just kept staring at the road. “Why did Halvo’s wife leave him?”

“So many reasons,” Brayden sighed, shaking his head. “Halvo wanted kids and she didn’t. He toured a lot and she couldn’t handle being alone, which is why she cheated on him. The guy she started seeing got her into hard drugs. When Halvo came back from tour, he told her that he could forgive her for straying and he would try to be home more for her, you know? But he couldn’t handle her drug problem. She tried to get clean, but she ultimately loved the drugs more than she loved him. She left when he was playing a local show. She took everything she had and just left him. He took it so hard that he became an alcoholic and quit the band for about a year. He eventually sobered up and rejoined, but he’s never quite been the same. He never fell in love again.”

“No shit.”

“I know.. he’s a great man. He didn’t deserve that.”

I nodded in agreement. Nobody deserved that.

When we arrived at the house, I was still feeling bad for Halvo. Not only because of what Brayden told me on the car ride over here, but also because he rang the doorbell. Halvo came out of the house cursing up a storm. I was surprised that Brayden was still alive.

When we finally climbed back into Brayden’s truck, he snatched the envelope out of my hand and begged me to let him see who next. I rolled my eyes and agreed to let him. He looked like a small child on Christmas.

“Ooooh,” he smirked. “Are you religious?”

“Uh… I guess?” I shrugged, confused.

“Oh boy,” he laughed, rubbing his hands together.

“Now I’m scared.” I sighed, buckling my seatbelt.

//\\//\\

“Can I come in?” he asked, looking at me with his gorgeous blue eyes. “It’s like 116 degrees out here.”

“Sure,” I nodded, thankful to have some sort of barrier for awkwardness. “You’ve got me scared anyway.”

“Oh. You should be. These people like… sacrifice animals and speak in tongues.” I gulped and stared at the two story, very normal looking suburban house.

“Go on, ring the doorbell,” he nudged me with his shoulder.

“No,” I shook my head. “You.”

But we didn’t have to, because a short middle aged Asian looking woman opened the door.

“Brayden. What are you doing here?” she looked confused. I suppose she couldn’t see me, because I was hiding behind Brayden. “I was expecting someone else.”

Brayden didn’t say a word, just stepped to the side. The lady’s face lit up and I instantly felt at ease. Brayden was an asshole for having me so scared. I kicked him and he grunted, earning a very confused from the woman standing in front of us.

“Come on in,” she said, stepping to the side and gesturing for us to follow her. When we reached her living room, a present and a letter were waiting. The woman glanced from the present and letter to me, and then to Brayden, a smile plastered to her face. When nobody said anything, Brayden took the initiative to break the awkward silence.

“This is Cybill. She’s about as socially awkward as you are,” he chuckled, shaking his head. “Cybill, this is Carolina. Carolina, this is Cybill.”

She smiled and shook my hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Carolina.”

“Likewise,” I smiled back. Cybill was adorable, and the fact that she was also socially awkward made me feel a little more at ease. I suppose having Brayden there helped as well.

“Well, I’ll go get my husband. He’s been looking forward to this since we heard you were in town. He hasn’t seen you since you were about two.”

“I’ve met your husband?” I asked, suddenly perking up. I knew I wouldn’t remember him, but it made me happy nonetheless.

“Yes,” she smiled. “We’ll be down in a bit. You can go ahead and read your letter from your. Don’t open the present until we come back down!”

“Thank you, Cybill.”

“You’re welcome,” she chuckled and sprinted her way up the stairs.

Brayden plopped down on the couch and smiled at me, motioning for me to sit down, as if this were his house and he were trying to make me feel at home. For once, I was actually glad to have somebody with me. I grabbed the letter off of the coffee table and glanced at him, biting my lip.

“Do I get to hear what your mom had to say?” he piqued, knowing I was going to say no.

“You haven’t heard the other ones, you would probably be lost,” I shrugged, sliding the papers out of the envelope.

“I can try to keep up,” he flashed me that smile, which for some reason made all of the sound logic escape my brain.

“Uh… okay. I’ll read it to you.” I nodded.

“My Sweet Carolina,” I started.

“Oh, Ryan Adams. Yes!” Brayden piped in. I cocked my head to the side and raised one of my eyebrows. He locked his lips and threw away the key. I shook my head and sighed.
--
“You may not remember these people, but we stayed them for a while when you were really young. Be polite. I love you.”
--
I glanced at Brayden, who was staring at me with interest, waiting for the rest. I rolled my eyes. Why did I agree to read this to him?
--
“A month had gone by and Christmas was nearing. I was having a hard time balancing all of my friends with work and Ben, and it was starting to tear at my relationships. Ben was getting distant, which scared me. I was in love for the first time and it was one of the scariest things that had happened to me. He started taking more shifts at the bookstore and booking more gigs. I felt as if he were avoiding me.

My 22nd birthday is another day that sticks out in my mind. I was running late for work, seeing as Ben’s dog had chewed up my last pair of shoes.

“Bad boy, Othello,” I yelled at the dog, who, by the way, hated everything that I was. He opened one of his eyes and sighed, like he couldn’t care more that he had torn up every pair of shoes I had. I even hid them so he wouldn’t find them, but I guess that didn’t do any good. I didn’t have time to go buy a new pair, so I did the only thing I could think of.

“Rusty!” I shouted into the phone as I rushed to lock my door.

“Lena!” he mocked me and I rolled my eyes. “What can I do for you at-” he paused, “Jesus Lena, it’s 6:30 am. Are you trying to kill me?”

“No, if I were trying to kill you, I would be standing over your bed with a knife or a pillow or something. Listen, is Rosie there?” I asked.

There was an awkward silence and then I heard him trying to wake her up with what sounded like kisses. I heard her giggling before she answered the phone. “Hello?”

“Hey Rosie, I’m really sorry to bug you but Ben’s dog has it out for me and he chewed up my last pair of shoes and I remember that one time we went out with Peyton and Julia and you bought some shoes that you were the same size as I was and I don’t have time to stop on the way to work,” I stopped to take a breath and then dropped my keys trying to unlock my hunk of junk. “and I know we don’t really know each other enough-“

“Of course,” she said with a laugh. “You can borrow anything you want.”

I groaned when my keys fell down the drain next to the curb. “Holy shit,” I breathed, slamming my butt down on the asphalt.

“Are you okay?” she asked, sounding genuinely worried. She was too nice.

“My keys just fell down the fucking drain,” I breathed, taking a cigarette out of my bag and lighting up.

“Rusty’s on his way.”

“I’m what?” I heard him ask in the background. I heard her giggle and the line went dead. I threw my phone in the yard and remained sitting barefoot in the street, chain smoking like there was no tomorrow.

About 20 minutes later, I saw Rusty’s car round the corner. I didn’t bother getting up because I had decided that I would more than likely call into work seeing as how I was supposed to be there 5 minutes ago and my day was already going so well.

“You are the clumsiest person I know,” he chuckled, sitting next to me on the curb.

“Hi Rusty, how are you on this fine Tuesday morning? Oh, you’re great!? That’s wonderful! I am also great, this is the best day of my fucking life.”

He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me close, kissing the top of my head. I sighed and breathed in his scent. He had the best scent of anyone else I knew. It was the perfect mix of cigarettes, cologne and pure boy.

“I love you, but your sarcasm comes across as full hate when you are mad.”

“I just wanted to go to work. I just wanted one thing in my life to work out, but I’ll probably lose my job and I won’t be able to afford new shoes and I will walk around barefoot and have caveman hobbit feet and then I will-”

“First of all,” he cut me off with a smirk, “You already have caveman feet.” I shoved him down to the ground. “And second of all, call your work. I am sure they will understand. You couldn’t make up something this good if you tried.”

“I don’t know where I threw my phone,” I choked out, trying to hold back frustrated tears.

“Oh don’t cry Lena,” he said, fanning his face.

“I hate that you don’t let anyone cry alone,” I laughed and wiped my eyes. “You’re such a girl,” I shook my head and bumped him with my shoulder. He just nodded.

“Love you.”

“Love you more,” he said automatically, standing up to look for my phone in the grass. I stood up to help, but felt a piercing pain set in when I stepped on a piece of broken glass. Blood started oozing out of my foot as I lifted it up to see the biggest piece of glass I had ever seen poking out of my heel.

“Rusty,” I breathed, feeling dizzy. I hated blood. I looked over to Rusty who was looking at my foot, watching as he passed out.
--
“God, your mom had bad luck, didn’t she?”

I bit my lip thinking back at my eighteen years with her and smiled. “It’s genetic. I’m the same way.”

“Well, I have excellent luck. Stick with me, kid,” he grinned and nudged my arm, wanting me to continue.
--
“I can’t believe you passed out,” I shook my head, sitting in the clinic, waiting for them to wrap my foot. He almost passed out watching them put in the ten stitches.

“I’m sorry,” he said, clutching his stomach. “I just don’t do well with this kind of stuff. When we’re on tour, if any of the guys start gushing blood, they know to try to hide it from me.”

“Duly noted,” I nodded. “I’m pretty much the same way. We’re wimps.” I shrugged.

“Speak for yourself. I am manly,” he informed me, flexing his arm.

“Yeah. Your legs are thinner than mine,” I rolled my eyes, shoving him away.

/\\//\\//\\

After I called work and told them what happened, I sighed in relief because they weren’t mad at all.

“Told you they wouldn’t be,” he said, pulling his car into the Chipotle parking lot. “I am sure they will live without a receptionist for one day.”

“I suppose,” I shrugged, unbuckling my seatbelt.

“I’m buying!” Rusty said, holding the door open for me.

“No way,” I shook my head.

“It’s my apology, you know, for passing out when you were dying.”

“You’ve already apologized 10 times, and I wasn’t dying. I was manly about it,” I said, flexing my arms, mocking what he did in the doctor’s office. He just rolled his eyes.

After eating, I sat back and patted my stomach, watching Rusty as he did the same.

“Does Rosie mind that you’re spending the day with me?”

“Nah. Unlike you, she actually goes to work.” He ducked as my fork came flying towards his face.

“Funny.”

“How are things going with you guys?”

“I’m in love,” he shrugged, like it was no big deal.

I bit my lip and nodded, happy for them.

“I think I’m going to ask her to move in,” he said, fidgeting with hands underneath the table.

“Big step, buddy. You sure you’re ready?”

“Yeah,” he said, not able to keep the smile off of his face. “I’ve never felt this way.”

“Not even with-”

“No,” he cut me off, not wanting the mention of her name to ruin his happiness.

“Well,” I sighed, picking nail polish off of my fingers. “I’m really happy for you.”

He nodded. “How are you and Ben?”

“I don’t want to talk about Ben right now.”

“That’s just too bad,” he shook his head and grabbed my hand across the table. I nodded and smiled. I knew I wouldn’t get away with it that easy. Rusty and I told each other everything. We didn’t keep secrets. That was the beauty of our friendship.

“I think he’s cheating on me,” I shrugged like it was no big deal, but Rusty didn’t buy it. He squeezed my hand and shook his head. “I’ve known Ben a while. He wouldn’t do that. Especially not to you. He loves you.”

“He’s never told me he loves me.”

“Sometimes you don’t need the person to tell you. You just know.”

“Sometimes it’s nice to hear.” I sighed, using my free hand to push my bangs out of my face.

“Why do you think he is cheating?”

“He avoids me. He picks up extra shifts, he stays at band practice so long, he usually ends up spending the night with one of the guys. I don’t know if I believe any of that…”

“Shall we do some spying?” he asked, one of his eyebrows raised, a malicious smirk pulling at his mouth.

“No,” I breathed, shocked that he would even suggest that.

“Come on,” he pleaded. “I’m not on tour right now and I have to devote my time to something.”

“Devote to something else. We are not spying on my boyfriend.”

“Fine, I’ll do it by myself.”

“You’ll do it even if I say no, so what can I do?” I shrugged, picking up my trash and walking to the trashcan to dispose of it.

“Exactly!”
//\\//\\//\\

After a full day of hanging out, it was time to go home and face Ben, if he was even there.

“Rusty, can you take me home?” I asked, watching all of the familiar houses pass as we drove into his subdivision.

“Yeah. I will. I just gotta tell Rosie something first.”

“Oh god, you guys are one of those couples who can’t go a full five minutes without talking or texting aren’t you?”

“Well,” he couldn’t fight the smile on his face. “She’s perfect, and I don’t want to lose her.”

I nodded, and went back to looking out of the window.

“Want to come in and say ‘hi’ to her?”

“I just want to go home, Rusty.” I said, not meaning to sound like a jerk. “I’ve had a long day.”

“Please,” he said, giving me the puppy dog face.

“Oh fine,” I snapped, slamming the car door behind me. As soon as I opened his front door, everyone I knew in Tempe popped up and yelled ‘SURPRISE.’

I placed my hand over my startled heart and laughed, looking at all of my friends who actually remembered what today was.

“Happy Birthday, baby,” I heard Ben whisper into my ear; wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me close to his chest. I looked over at Rusty, who just smiled at me and mouthed ‘surprise.’”

“I hate you,” I mouthed back.

“Can I talk to you?” Ben asked. I turned around to face him and nodded, leading him onto the back porch. “Why are you limping?”

“Long story,” I sat down on the railing and looked at him. He looked nervous.

“I feel like I haven’t seen you in weeks,” I said, reaching out to grab his hand to stop him from pacing.

“I’m sorry. We were planning this party, and I hated lying to you. I’m really sorry.”

I sighed in relief and tugged him closer to me, wrapping my arms around his neck and giving him a tight hug.

“I thought you were getting tired of me.”

“I would never get tired of you,” he said, sounding appalled that I would even say such a thing. “I love you, Lena.”

He finally said it. I smiled and pulled him back in for a kiss, but all I could see when I closed my eyes was a face that was not my boyfriends, and it killed me.
--
I shuffled the papers and stuck them in my backpack.

“Wait, that’s it?” Brayden asked. “Really?”

“That’s what sucks about this whole thing,” I nodded, standing up.
“That’s some bullshit..” he sighed, stretching his arms over his head. My eyes wandered to the bottom of his shirt that had risen up with the action.

“Brayden, watch your mouth,” Cybill said, tugging a VERY attractive man behind her.

“Carolina!” the man said, jogging his way around the couch and pulling me in for a hug. “Sixteen years is too long. I bet you don’t even remember me.”

Something about him was familiar, but I couldn’t put my finger on it. “Not really,” I smiled politely. “You have really pretty hair, though.” I blurted out and Brayden started laughing so hard that Cybill smacked the back of his head.

“I’m Joel,” he chuckled, extending his hand so that I could shake it.

“Wait a minute. You took me to the zoo, didn’t you?”

“You do remember me!” he smiled.

“We used to have a picture on our refrigerator of that day.”

“Well then, maybe this will look familiar,” he said, handing me the present that was sitting on the table.

I smiled and started to unwrap it, laughing when I pulled the stuffed giraffe out. “Gerald!” I gasped, hugging my long lost childhood friend against my chest.

“You didn’t want me to leave Seattle. You kicked and screamed and held onto me for dear life. You snuck him in my suitcase before I left.”

“I forgot all about Gerald. Wow Joel, you kept him all this time?”

“I knew we’d see each other again. I didn’t know it would be so long.”

“Wow,” I nodded, setting Gerald down on the couch. “Thank you, thank you so much!” I said, giving him a hug.

“Do you guys want to stay for dinner?” Cybill asked, smacking Brayden in the back of the head again for making kissing noises at me and Joel. Joel rolled his eyes and hit Brayden on the back of his head as well.

“I’m starved,” Brayden said, rubbing the back of his neck. I nodded and agreed. Cybill and Joel made their way to the kitchen and I just looked at Brayden.

“You’re such an ass.”

“Carolina! Language!” he mocked. I smacked him in the back of the head and then gave him a hug. “Thank you for coming with me.”

“Thank you for letting me listen,” he said, wrapping his arms around me. I inhaled his scent. Cigarettes, cologne and man.

“Cigarettes kill you, you know,” I said wrinkling my nose.

He rolled his eyes. “I don’t smoke. It’s secondhand,” he shrugged, grabbing my hand and leading me to the kitchen. I grabbed Gerald before he was out of arms reach and followed Brayden.

What I wanted to know was why Joel was the only one who visited my mom in Seattle?
♠ ♠ ♠
Some comments would be nice. I may not continue to write this story because I don't know if anyone is actually reading it. I'll leave you nice messages on tumblr or something if you comment :)