Silent Plea

A Distant Memory

Particles of dirt coat his black boots as he slowly inch towards the edge of the mountain side, his feet dragging in a slow manner. So free, so weightless, feeling as though he had all the time in the world. A content smile rest upon his thin lips as he overlooks the city of Tempe below him, a distorted sight through the waves of heat emanating from the sun. A cool breeze came by, disturbing the locks of brown hair upon his head but temporarily relieving him of the perspiration threatening to seep through his skin.

He turns his head to the right to look at his friend a few yards away, the redhead speaking avidly into his cell phone. With a smile, he turns his attention back to the city below. All is alright; he was lucky to be standing there without so much as a worry, while others have to move around with obligations to work for a sustainable income. He was free from the chains of society, the mundane life. He tours the world for a living, accomplish things he’d never dreamt of doing, experience life.

He has the entire world spread out before him, a world of opportunities, all in the palm of his hands. If he reaches out far enough, he can grab it, he can overcome it, he can control it. He only has one life to live, and it is up to him to make the best out of it - his only obligation in life, and to himself. He was going to move at his own pace. He has the power, he has the free will; he wasn’t going to let the world take him down. Lucky, that’s the only way he can describe himself. A lucky young man.

He kicked at the dirt, sending a few pebbles rolling over the edge, before turning on his heels and slowly making his way back the car. He was in no rush, happy that his friend had taken the long awaited phone call. It gave him the moment to himself, and that brings back a sense of familiarity.

Sitting there on the hood of his car and leaning against the windshield, he can recall all the times he had been in that exact spot. From his high school years to the present, the place hadn’t changed. It was still relaxing and still brings an elate feeling to his chest; still calming, still his place for solitude. It was the perfect place to go to in the summer when the weather was perfect, to sit and chat and do stupid things before the new school year starts.

High school. God, what a time to think back to. The years of foolish decisions, reckless romances, and ridiculous dreams. Such silly memories to come out of it, but they bring a smile to his face nonetheless. He wouldn’t take those years back for the world, except for maybe one - now a distant memory.

All peace in his mind left along with his smile, as he allowed his head to turn and look over his shoulder. His green eyes landed on the backseat of his car; empty. A distant memory, but a part of him always hope to see something different every time he looks back- anything but an empty backseat. Her.

He thinks of the times he would turn to look back from the front seat and find her looking back at him, her body curled up against the seat; her spot. Her brown hair flowing in the wind, a bright smile adorning her face with straight white teeth. And her eyes, her light blue eyes, glinting with such joy as laughter elicit past soft lips.

If there was one memory that he could go back to, it would be that. Those days, they were the highlight of his adolescent years. The car rides to anywhere secluded were spontaneous, but it worked for them.

A distant memory.

He’s moved on from it since then - sometimes. It was a silly crush, or maybe it was teenage love. Perhaps he did love her once, he wasn’t sure. The road they went down wasn’t a smooth one, and it was hard, but he tried to remain close friends with her. Unfortunately, even that fell apart as distance forced its way between them, the road life calling to him. He missed her every time, and the longing feeling to visit her never fully subsided. He can never forget that pretty face, or the feelings brought to him every time he thought of her. A part of him will always have a crush on her, he believes. A silly crush for who she was.

With a sigh, he looked back up at the clear blue sky, a pair of dark sunglasses resting on the bridge of his nose. A flock of birds fly, a laughter erupting from his friend, the silence broken. Being in that spot will never be quite the same without her presence there.

A distant memory.
♠ ♠ ♠
Take these first two chapters as the prologue. Story kicks off next chapter. Thank you to you few subscribers right now, and especially you very two for commenting. <3