On My Own

Eleven

I heard the shower shut off and rolled over. I opened my eyes and rubbed them. The television was on and I could hear Matt quietly humming in the bathroom. I watched the door to his bathroom open and Matt step out in just a towel. “You should walk around like that all the time,” I mumbled. Matt chuckled and walked over to me. His kissed me softly. “Best way to wake up.”

“That was the best sleep I’ve had in a long time,” he told me. I blushed and he handed me my glasses. I slid them on, wrinkling my nose a little. “Mind if I turn the news a little louder?”

“Go ahead,” I replied. Matt turned up the volume and pressed a kiss to my temple. He walked over to his dresser and began pulling out various clothing. I rolled onto my back and watched the news. They talked about the weather and local crimes that had happened. “The news sucks.” Matt laughed.

In other news, the police have located missing girl, Brittany Perkins’, car was found last night. The car was parked in front of local club, Twenty-One. No word yet if anyone has spotted the seventeen-year-old, but police are looking.” I rolled my eyes and rolled onto my side.

“Whatever happened to where the news aired the story once and that was it?” I asked Matt. He raised an eyebrow. “Well this girl’s disappearance has been on the news a lot, plus different newspapers. I’m just wondering why it’s getting always on the news.”

“It’s her friends,” Matt explained, pulling his pants on. “They’re determined to find her. They explained that Brittany’s had it rough for a couple of years now. They’re scared something happened to her because of how close she was to each one.”

Guilt washed over me. I was worrying the ones who had been there for so long. Megan, Jeremy, Anissa, and Jessie each had let me vent and always said I was living in an unhealthy home. They had been concerned and all offered to let me move in with them. I couldn’t do that though, because someone at my house would’ve found me because eventually someone would notice I was gone.

A tear slid down my face and Matt sat at the edge of his bed. He cupped my cheek and wiped it away with his thumb. “Those friends are amazing,” I whispered.

“They are,” Matt agreed. “I have to leave in an hour. Do you want to go back to sleep for a bit? It’s only six in the morning.” I nodded and Matt kissed me softly. “I’ll wake you up before I leave.” I smiled and set my glasses on the nightstand. I felt Matt get off the bed and drifted back asleep.

A few hours later, I walked up into my school. I was clean, I was energized and I was full from having a real breakfast. I found Stephanie at her locker and poked her side. “Jesus Christ!” She laughed, jumping five feet in the air. “It’s not polite to sneak up and poke someone!” I giggled. “You’re in a good mood.”

“I spent the night at Matt’s,” I explained. Her eyes widened and she opened her mouth. I cut her off before she even asked. “No, I didn’t have sex with him. I went out with him and his friends and then Matt and I just started making out. He was the one who stopped us and then asked if I wanted to sleep over.”

“Are his friends hot?” Stephanie asked.

“Yup,” I laughed. “When the time is right, I’ll get you the hookup.” She squealed and our warning bell rang.

“I have good news for you. My boss said to stop by Starbucks afterschool. Ninety-nine percent sure you’re hired,” she told me. I squealed and threw my arms around her. She laughed.

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” I squealed. “You have no idea how much I need this.”

We went to our class and our teacher came around to check our homework. I gave Stephanie more details about last night and told her all about Zacky, Brian, and Johnny. She liked their nickname, Adie, for me and thought they sounded like a bunch of great guys.

The day flew by, but I think that was because of my good mood. In Creative Writing, Matt also was in a good mood. He explained a project and kept giving me smiles that got me to smile wider. When the bell rang, I told Stephanie I need to ask a few questions and I’d meet her at her locker.

“I have an interview after school,” I said, causing Matt to grin.

“Where at?” He questioned.

“Starbucks; Stephanie hooked me up,” I explained. “I’m so happy!” Matt chuckled again.

“Good luck. Text me after,” he said. He glanced at the door. It was wide open, but nobody was in the hall. Matt quickly pressed his lips against mine. “I have to run. Brian needs my help with something and I need to quickly walk Bella.”

I nodded and waved goodbye. I found Stephanie at her locker and she kept talking about how amazing it’d be if we got to work together. We walked to the Starbucks that was just a few blocks away. Stephanie introduced me to her boss and he asked a few questions before telling me that I started training in a week and a half.

Stephanie asked if I wanted a ride home since her house was literally a block away and she had a car, but I said I was fine walking. I texted Matt to tell him my good news and headed down to the beach. I sat on the sand and did my homework.

The sun set and I walked around for a bit before heading under the pier. Yesterday had been a dream, but now it was time to face a reality, I picked a spot and forced myself to get comfortable. Twelve days and only five dollars.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments/Thoughts? Subscribe? You guys are seriously amazing:) I've been sick since Tuesday and then yesterday was my birthday and I had to spend it laying around when I actually wanted to go to school and be with my friends. On the plus side, my brother's reaction when he realized that he was missing a whole day of his life somehow and almost forgetting my birthday was priceless:)