On My Own

Twenty-Seven

I followed Stephanie into Starbucks and greeted my new boss, Randy. I slid on my green apron and he handed me a pin that said ‘Newbie’. I put it on the front of my apron and he explained my job to me. I was going to be taking orders and sometimes making them. He and Stephanie helped and explained everything over the next few hours.

When it was closing time, I helped clean up. Dave picked me and Stephanie up and had dinner on the table when we got home. We all ate together. Stephanie and I were telling Dave how my first day went and about how much we enjoyed working together. Work was fun and Stephanie told me that it was usually like that all the time.

“Would you two like to watch a movie with the old man?” Dave asked as he cleaned up dinner.

“Yes!” Stephanie and I said. Dave chuckled and told us to go pick a movie. Stephanie and I went into the family room and she opened a cabinet full of movies.

“When did that get there?” I demanded.

“It’s been there,” Stephanie laughed. We both went through the movies. After much debating, we finally decided to watch Cars. We set the movie up and grabbed some blankets and pillows. Dave came into the room with flavored waters, popcorn and ice cream sundaes. Stephanie and I helped him get the food and drinks sorted before we each spread out on different parts of the couch. We started the movie and dug into our dessert.

Watching a movie with Dave and Stephanie was so different than watching one in Los Angeles, when we would decide to actually watch a movie together. When I was quiet, I got in trouble. Or if I couldn’t stop fidgeting, I got yelled at again. My mom had to always talk during the movie, but here Stephanie and Dave kept the talking to a minimum so we could actually watch the movie. When there was a joke, Dave joined in the laughter and even made remarks that were just as childish as mine and Stephanie’s.

When the movie was over, Dave made us hot tea and we sat at the table on the patio. “Did you girls have fun last night on your double date with the guys?” David asked us.

“It was amazing,” Stephanie replied and I nodded in agreement.

“Stephanie and Zacky are adorable,” I giggled. “You should see how nervous you two act around each other. I wished I had brought my camera!”

“You and Matt act like you’ve been together for years,” Stephanie laughed back. “You two have little conversations, but they seem like so much more than that. What were you two talking about at the beach?”

“Matt had something he wanted me to know. It was just one of those things that help you understand the person you’re with better,” I explained. Stephanie nodded understandingly. “What about you and Zacky?”

“We were just talking about random things,” Stephanie replied. “We made plans for Friday night!” I squealed and she blushed. She looked at her dad. “As long as it’s okay.”

“It’s fine. Just be sure to be careful and let me know where you’ll be going,” Dave said. Stephanie nodded and let out a yawn.

“I think I’m going to head to bed,” Stephanie told us. “Night.”

I said goodnight and I sipped my tea. Dave walked Stephanie inside and I think upstairs. A few minutes later, Dave came back and sat down. “So, how’re you and Matt?” Dave asked. “I heard that you told him about running away this week.”

“He was mad, but I think he was madder that I didn’t tell him,” I explained. “He also was upset that I didn’t go to him when I was living on the beach.” I cringed and sipped my tea. “But, he did tell me if I ever needed anything that I could go to him.”

“I think I can speak for everyone that knows you that we’re upset. When Stephie told me that she had a friend living on the beach, I told her you could stay with us without hesitating,” Dave said. “It’s scary to think about what could of happened. You have to think about guys that will just take you and also all the illnesses you could’ve caught from the water or something, Plus, Stephanie said that you were practically starving yourself.”

“I had only twenty dollars and it was going way to fast,” I mumbled. “I think the scary part was what could’ve happened when I fell asleep. I waited until I was extremely tired and then finally fell asleep. I think the saddest part is that I would rather be back on the beach than ever seeing my family again, if you can call them that.” Dave squeezed my shoulder and I let out a yawn.

“Sounds like bedtime,” Dave chuckled. I nodded and stood up. “Remember, I want you to feel like you’re part of the family. You could call me anything you’d like if that made you feel more at home. I know Matt’s offered to get you anything you need and, I already told you this, but remember that if you need something, don’t hesitate to ask,” Dave told me.

“I won’t, Papa Dave,” I giggled. He grinned and we said goodnight. I walked into the house and put my empty mug into the sink. I headed upstairs and went to the bathroom. I washed my face and brushed my teeth before heading into my room. I changed into a pair of comfortable pajamas and brushed my hair.

My phone beeped, so I picked it up and smiled at Matt’s text message. ‘I hope your first day at work went great! Tomorrow after school we’re going to have to go out and celebrate your first day. Sweet dreams and love you.’ I blushed and sent him a thank you text and that I couldn’t wait to tell him about my day. And about how much I loved my home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy holidays:) Thoughts/Comments? Subscribe