On My Own

Twenty-Six

Stephanie and I went downstairs and she opened the door. She stepped out of the way and Matt’s arms wrapped around me. I pecked Matt’s lips and laughed when he pulled me closer so our bodies were touching. I wrapped my arms around his neck and nibbled on his bottom lip. Matt smirked and opened his mouth. He slid his tongue into my mouth. I let out a ‘humph’ and Matt chuckled.

“Are you two done sucking face?” Zacky asked. Matt and I looked at each other and shook our heads ‘no’. Matt leaned down and pressed his lips back against mine. I moved my hands onto his biceps and giggled. “We have a reservation!” Matt and I pulled away, laughing. The four of us headed to Zacky’s car and Matt opened the door for me. I thanked him and moved over so Matt could sit next to me. I saw Zacky holding Stephanie’s door open. She got in and Zacky kissed her cheek before he went to his seat.

“They’re cute,” I giggled, leaning against Matt. “What’s worse? Dating your student or having your best friend date your other student?”

“I’m not sure,” Matt said. “But I’m happiest with dating my student.” I smiled and he put his arm around me. “You look beautiful.” I blushed and smiled at Matt.

“Thanks,” I told him. “How’d you managed to match with me?” I adjusted his blue tie so it was straight. “I like blue on you.”

“I just had a feeling you’d pick blue,” Matt chuckled. “Look.” I turned my head and saw Zacky holding Stephanie’s hand. I squealed quietly. “He really wants to make it work.”

“She’s already crazy about him,” I said. “But that could be because he gave her, her first orgasm.” Matt laughed and squeezed my knee. “You gave me the most amazing ones I’ve ever had.”

Zacky’s car slowed down and he pulled up to a curb. He parked the car and we all got out. Matt put his arm around me and Stephanie held Zacky’s hand. We walked into Olive Garden and found out that we were early. The place was busy, so we went to the bar area and the guys ordered themselves beer.

“You’re wearing the bracelet,” Matt said. I nodded and did a full grin, showing my teeth. Zacky and Stephanie flirted a little, which I thought was cute. It was obvious they were both a little nervous and it was reasonable since this was their second date. They both looked just right next to one another. I really hoped they could make their relationship last.

After about a ten minute wait, we were seated. We all agreed on a seafood appetizer and ordered our drinks. Stephanie kicked my leg under the table and I gave her a confused looked. She mouthed, “I’m nervous.” I laughed and mouthed for her to relax and that Zacky was really into her. Matt shook his head and Zacky looked confused.

“What did I just miss?” He asked, looking between me and Stephanie.

“Nothing,” we giggled. He shook his head and our waiter came and gave us our drinks. We all ordered different dishes and he told us he’d be back soon with our appetizer.

“So, how was school?” Zacky asked, looking from Stephanie to Matt to Stephanie to me and back at Stephanie. Matt talked about teaching and Stephanie and I complained about a few teachers that we were sick of, like our gym teacher who thought it was fun to run two miles. Matt found it funny, since it was his coworker, while Zacky couldn’t believe they made us run that much. I then told everyone about the time they had a guy run almost two-hundred pacers just because he was athletic.

We ate our sea food and asked Zacky about his day; he owned a few music stores, but kept the base in Huntington Beach. He explained that he wanted to stay close to his friends. Matt tensed slightly, but after a minute was back to normal. I gave his arm a squeeze. “You okay?” I mumbled.

“I’ll explain later,” Matt said. “But right now I am okay.” I nodded and our food arrived. I rested my head against Matt’s arm and ate my food.

When we finished eating, the boys split the bill and we left Olive Garden. The guys led us the opposite way of the parking lot, towards the beach. We separated into couples and walked along the shoreline. Matt’s arm slid around my shoulders and I slid mine around his lower back.

“Two years ago, my friends and I weren’t as close as we are now. When we were in high school, we formed a band, but we didn’t make it. After that, we sort of stopped talking for the most part and moved on with our lives. I went to become a teacher, Zacky moved out to Los Angeles and opened his first music store, Brian’s a guitar instructor and Johnny owns a few clubs in Las Vegas,” Matt explained. “But our friend, Jimmy, he never stopped trying to make it big.

“Jimmy was with a few bands. He went on tours. He did make it. He made it farther than we ever thought we could as Avenged Sevenfold. But, two December’s ago…on the twenty-eighth, he died,” Matt said and I squeezed him. “Heart problems.”

“I’m so sorry Matt,” I whispered. I stopped walking and Matt turned to face me. I gave him a hug and made sure to squeeze extra-tight. His arms wrapped tightly around my waist. “Just so you know, if you ever need someone, I am here. I can listen whenever you want.”

“Thank you. And I’ve come to terms with his death. I just wanted you to know about him,” Matt told me. “Maybe soon you can meet him.” I squeezed him.

“I would really enjoy that,” I replied honestly. “And Matt, I promise I’ll never try to harm myself again. I get what you mean about life being worth something.”

“Good.” And then Matt kissed me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts/Comments? Subscribe?