On My Own

Four

“This is so messed up,” Matt groaned, sitting down across from me. He sat my Pepsi in front of me and I took a long sip. “I was serious about your parents having me arrested.” I rolled my eyes and watched as he downed half his beer.

“I swear, my parents aren’t going to do anything,” I said calmly. I wasn’t going to see my parents for a long time. By time I ever saw them again, they wouldn’t care how old Matt was.

“Miss Bus said your mom was sick,” Matt sighed. I shrugged and he squeezed my hand. “Won’t this be harder on her?”

“She wants me happy,” I told him. “Matt, I’m going to be eighteen in a few weeks. It’s not a big deal.” Matt sighed again and downed the rest of his beer. He put his head in his hands and I took another sip of my soda. Matt kept his head down as I continued to drink my soda. Matt looked up when I finished and dropped a twenty on the table.

Matt asked me to come with him and got up. I followed him and laced our hands together. He didn’t pull away, so I gave a gentle squeeze. Matt and I walked to the pier and down the long boardwalk. He stopped and guided me in front of him. His arms wrapped around my middle and chin rested on my shoulder. “We’ll have to be careful,” Matt mumbled. He pressed his lips softly against my neck and I leaned into him.

“Does this mean that you’re not going to break up with me?” I asked quietly, turning to face Matt. He chuckled and kissed my forehead. “It’s not funny!”

“You silly, little girl, I’m not going to break up with you,” he told me. “You’re worth the risk.” I smiled and leaned up, pressing my lips against his. I slid my arms up to his neck, pulling his head down. His hands lifted me so I was sitting on the railing of the pier. He held me securely by my waist and I parted my lips. His tongue touched mine and I ran a hand through his short hair. His hands moved under my shirt, but still on my hips, and his thumbs rubbed circles on my stomach.

I pulled away, a grin on my face. Matt frowned at me. “I need to go job hunting,” I told him. Matt shook his head and kissed me. “I’m serious Matt!”

“Just go online and apply online,” Matt said, moving his lips to my neck.

“I don’t have a computer,” I groaned, wrapping my legs around him.

“Seriously?” Matt pulled away and looked into my eyes. I nodded. “Well, then I’ll just write you a laptop pass tomorrow.” I shook my head and pressed my lips against his.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” I told him, unwrapping my legs and hopping off the railing. I started walking down the boardwalk and heard footsteps follow me. Matt’s arms wrapped around my middle and pulled me against him. “Yes?”

“Where do you live, Adeline?” Matt asked.

“I can’t tell you because then I’d have to kill you,” I giggled, squirming free and waving goodbye. I felt Matt’s eyes on me as I crossed the street. Smiling to myself, I walked inside the first retail shop and began filling out a job application.

Six stores later, I was proud of myself. I was almost positive that one of them would hire me. My stomach growled, so I decided to treat myself to an Oreo McFlurry. I walked around a few blocks before I found a McDonald’s. I walked inside and ordered myself the ice cream and cookie combination. The cashier made my treat and I headed out of the fast-food restaurant.

I walked down a few blocks and made a couple of turns. I saw the Super 8 sign and headed inside. I waved at the front desk and headed to my room. I reached my room and tossed my empty ice cream cup into the trash. I set my glasses on my night stand. I began to strip and went into the shower.

I sat on the couch with my laptop on my lap and ‘Two and a Half Men’ on the television. I went through my Facebook newsfeed and rolled my eyes at all the drama going on. Mom asked if she could go check her account and I agreed. I logged out and handed it over to her. I went back to watching the show.

“Where’s the charger cord?” She asked, taking a sip of her beer.

“It doesn’t need charged,” I replied.

“I want to charge it,” she said.

“Well, it doesn’t need it. Now, be quiet! You’re being rude,” I muttered,

“Excuse me?” Mom demanded, moving so she was in front of me. She took another swing and I glanced at my dad, who was ignoring us.

“Will you freaking shut up and move?” I yelled.

“Who do you think you are?” Mom screamed at me.

“I’m the one who has to listen to your bullshit,” I snapped.

“Remember this next time you want to go to a concert, bitch,” Mom rambled, walking up the stairs. I heard her door slam and rolled my eyes.

“Remember this when I finally leave,” I mumbled, pulling my knees up to my chest.

I sighed and changed into my large shirt. I ran a brush through my hair and attempted to dry my hair with a towel. I turned on the television and listened to the news headlines. There was nothing about me. I wondered how hard the police were trying to find me. Or if they’d put me in the ‘lost cause’ group.

Sighing, I put my towel and brush in the bathroom. I plugged my phone into its charger and set it on top of the little table in the corner of the room. I shut the light off and crawled into the bed. I fluffed my pillow and closed my eyes with a smile on my face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts/Comments? There's a weiner dog attempting to hump my German Shepard...