Sequel: Once Upon a Time
Status: Active!

Time Will Tell

Baby Whisperer

I pulled up in front of a sort of nice-ish looking apartment building. I glanced back at the sign and then at the paper in my hands. Hollow Oakes Apartment Complex, building C. Yep. I’m at the right place.

It had been two weeks since the dinner with Ms. Roberts and I’d almost forgotten all about babysitting when she called me.

She gave me Noah’s address and both his and her number.

I took a breath and then got out of the car. She said six, so I’m a little early. I searched the numbers on the doors until I reached 219. I knocked on the door and then took a step back.

The door opened and Noah’s piercing green eyes stared out at me. He pulled the door open wider and stepped aside, gesturing for me to come in.

“Thanks for coming,” he says.

“It’s nothing,” I answer.

He smiles at me. “My mom told you I’m working until eleven?” he asks me.

I nod. “Yep, she did. Have you ever left Grace with anyone other than your mom?” I ask him, walking into his living room. Grace is sitting on the floor playing with these huge colorful plastic blocks.

“No.”

“Is that why you’re so tense right now?” I continue nosily.

He chuckles. “Yeah, I guess so.”

“Not to be nosy, but where is her mother?”

His jaw clenches. “I don’t know,” he answers me, shrugging. “She left a long time ago.”

“Oh…” I answer. I feel kind of bad for asking now. “I’m sorry.”

He shakes his head at me. “Don’t be. She was a big waste of time. The only thing good that came out of that relationship was Grace.”

I smile – it’s not often you find a guy like this. If any of my guy friends found out they were going to have to raise a baby on their own they’d feel like it was the end of their lives. They’d probably put it up for adoption or pawn it off on their mother. Noah really loves Grace though – I can tell just by the way he looks at her, or by the fact that he’s worried about leaving her with a stranger.

“So, what’s on the agenda for tonight?” I ask him.

He looks at me apologetically, like the work of taking care of a baby isn’t what I’m here for in the first place. “She needs a bath, and to be fed and changed, but that’s basically it. I want her in bed by eight, but good luck with that one.”

I smile at him. “Don’t worry about a thing – I’m the baby whisperer.”

He shakes his head, laughing silently at me. “Sure you are – well, this baby isn’t one to communicate. She’ll fight you on the bath, being changed, and bed time. The only thing she doesn’t put up a fuss about is her bottle.”

“I’ve got it,” I answer. “And I think you’ll be surprised. I’m good with babies.”

“I know,” he says in a teasing tone. “You’re the baby whisperer.”

I laugh at him. “Seriously, we’ll be fine.”

He nods and grabs his wallet off the coffee table and then putting it in his pocket. “If you need anything call my cell, not the work phone, but I’ve left both numbers for you.” He says as he walks over to Grace. He leans down and kisses her on the top of her head. “Bye, baby,” he says.

I can’t fight the smile. I’m smiling so freaking much right now. He’s just so cute.

“I’ll pay you when I get home, okay? No money until I make sure Grace makes it through the night alive.”

I narrow my eyes at him, but push his shoulder and laugh. “She’ll be fine. And for lateral, if she doesn’t make it through the bath, feeding, and bedtime, you can have Emma,” I joke.

“I’ll hold you to that,” he jokes right back, but I can see how wound up he is.

“Is there anything I can do?” I ask him. “Like text you or something so you won’t be so freaked out the whole time you’re gone?”

He grins at me. “You can, but I’m not sure it will help.”

“She’ll be fine, I promise – but I will text you so you can be sure.”

“Thanks for trying to make this easier on me… it’s just… hard.” He explains.

“I know,” I tell him. “It’s like when I had to leave Emma with my dad. I was scared to death and she isn’t even my baby.”

He laughs. “Thanks, Teagan.”

*************

I was right, Noah was wrong. I really am the baby whisperer!

I gave Grace her bottle, gave her a bath, changed her diaper (about three times), got her ready for bed, watched The Upside Down Show with her for a while, put her to bed (she fell asleep almost instantly), and then was about to fall asleep myself on the couch when I heard the doorknob jingle – a key being put in and twisted – and Noah walked in.

When he saw me I put a finger to my mouth, got up from the couch and went to close the door to Grace’s bedroom.

“She’s asleep?” he asked incredulously.

I nod. “Yep,” I sigh.

“So she was good?” he asks me, pulling off his coat and throwing it over the back of a chair. I nod. “The texts did help a little. Thanks.”

I smile softly at him. “You’re welcome.”

“I’m sorry I’m a little late,” he says now, pulling two twenties from his wallet.

“You don’t have to do that,” I say, taking one twenty and putting it in my pocket, but leaving the other in his hand. “I’m not pricey.”

He shook his head and ran a hand through his hair. “No, I insist,” he starts.

I smile. “No, I’m serious. I don’t want any more of your money.”

He unwillingly put the twenty back in his wallet.

“So how was your night?” I ask him. “Did the texts really help?”

“Yeah,” he sighs. “They actually did. I didn’t worry nearly as much as I thought I would. But hearing about her getting mad at the TV, and that I’m not the only one she throws Cheerio’s at made me feel a little bit better.”

I giggled a little and then sighed, closing my eyes. “You must be exhausted.”

“Why do you say that?” he asks me, sounding curious.

“If I’m tired after five hours, then you would have to be.”

He laughs really hard. “Yeah, a baby does that to a person. And I am exhausted. I’m probably going to grab dinner and then crash.”

I look up at him and see the dark circles under his eyes again and the way his eyes don’t open all the way and he yawns again and I realize how many times I’ve seen him do that since he’s gotten home and I want to do something for him.

“I have an idea.” I say.

He looks at me curiously. “About what?”

I walk around him and push him towards the couch. “Why don’t you sit down and take a break and I’ll fix you a sandwich?”

He cranes his neck to look around at me. “Why?”

I push him down. He looks up at me, waiting on an answer.

I shrug. “You just look like you could use a break. I want to help.”

“You don’t have to do that,” he says, starting to get up.

I frown and push him back down. “Shut up and let a girl fix your dinner why don’t you?” I say, exasperated.

He chuckles at my persistence. “Alright,” he gives in, sighing. “Thank you. You don’t realize how much I appreciate this.”

And you don’t realize how much I seem to want you right now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Still on the fence -- keep or kill??? Comments would be nice!

Comment & Subscribe!!! :D