‹ Prequel: Someone To Save Me

You Can Fight Fate, You Just End Up Losing

A Whole Lot Of Crazy.

When I woke up our legs were tangled up, my head resting on his chest, his arms wrapped around me holding me there. I don’t know when my feelings for Tanner went from platonic to something more but laying here with him, I feel, I feel at home. He took a deep breath nuzzling his face in my hair before relaxing again.

“Hmmm, Addie” he mumbled letting his hand run up my back. “You gotta wake up Adds” he moved the hair out of my face and off my shoulder. “Good you’re awake.”

“Barely” I whispered. He smiled at me before rolling us over pinning me below him. This has to be a dream.

“Good morning Addison” he smiled down at me before kissing my forehead and getting out of bed.

“Morning Tan” I sighed as he walked over to his bag and pulled on a shirt. “I should call the parents and tell them that I’m not going to be there.”

“Yeah, then we can go get breakfast” he suggested walking into the bathroom.

I picked my phone off of the nightstand and dialed.

“Hello?”

“Hey daddy.”

“Addie, hey baby girl how are you?”

“I’m good, I was just calling to let you know that I’m thinking of staying in Toronto for a few days.”

“By yourself?”

“Well no . . .”

“With who then?”

“Ummm . . .”

“A boy?”

“Dad, I’m 20 years old it’s time to stop being so . . . You.”

“What I can’t worry about my only daughter?”

“I’m here with Tanner ok dad, so go ahead and tell me he’s a horrible person, tell me that I should be careful and not let anything happen beyond being friends with him . . .”

“I’m not going to say that. Maybe 15years ago I wasn’t fond of you guys being friends but that was a while ago.”

“Meaning?”

“Have fun in Toronto.”

“Really?”

“Yep. I’ll let your mom know.”

“What happened to you pops? You’ve gone soft old man.”

“Hey now.”

“I love you dad.”

“I love you too peanut. What are you and Tanner going to do today?”

“Well he’s taking a shower then we’re going to get breakfast and just walk around. I don’t know” I sighed.

“What are you thinking about baby girl?”

“Daddy when did you realize you were in love with mom?”

“The second that she walked away the first week I met her.”

“Really? That soon?”

“Why do you sound so skeptical?”

“It doesn’t seem possible dad. To be in love with someone that soon after meeting them.”

“I know but it’s possible. What’s brought this on Addie?”

“Just curious. I’m 20 years old and I’ve never felt anything I would consider to be love for anyone besides you mom Jamison and Patrick.”

“No one, eh?” he asked making me giggle. “Your mom does that all the time.”

“It’s funny for some reason. And no, no one.”

TANNER

“I’m 20 years old and I’ve never felt anything I would consider to be love for anyone besides you mom Jamison and Patrick.” There was a pause followed by her giggling. “It’s funny for some reason. And no, no one.” I heard stepping out of the shower. “Really dad. How long have you been wanting to say that? . . . Of course I love him. He’s my best friend daddy. . . You’re crazy old man . . . Besides the odds that he would be interested even if I was are . . . No, he’s with some bleach blonde, fake tan, fake boobs, stick thin, dresses like a whore girl at school. . . I am not jealous! Am not!” I laughed quietly hearing her argue with her father. “Alright, fine, maybe I’m a little jealous. He falls off the face of the planet and the next thing I know he’s with a girl the complete opposite of what I expected for him . . . No I never said that. I love him, I do, but he’s my friend.” Her voice was low and contemplative. “Thanks dad . . . I know . . .I will tell him you said that. . . Yes, I will. . . I can’t tell him that, I’m not sure what it is but. . . Love you too pops. Bye.”

I wrapped the towel around my waist before walking out into the room. “Who was that?”

“Dad” she said her eyes traveling down my body and back up to my face. “Plan on putting clothes on anytime soon Tanner?”

“Yea” I smirked. She’s never done that before, blatantly check me out. I’ll admit it I have with her, obviously back at my apartment the other day but other times too. “Do you plan on putting clothes on?”

“Yea, I do” she said standing up dressed in her short shorts and tank top. She walked over her bags and pulled out a pink lace bra, jean shorts, and Penguins t-shirt. “Be ready in 20minutes Tan.”

“20, yea right.”

“Ok 10” she smiled closing the bathroom door behind her.

I got dressed and sat on the edge of the bed turning on the TV, but not watching it. My mind was on her conversation with her dad.

“BAM!” she said stepping out of the bathroom her hair and makeup prefect and understated. “And with a minute to spare.”

“I stand corrected.”

“Damn straight” she said sliding on her shoes and grabbing her bag. “Let’s roll out Tan.”

We were walking around the city, she’d pull me into a shop and hold up dresses and shirts asking my opinion. I couldn’t tell her that they would make her look too hot for her own good, so I just did the usual ‘it’s nice’ statement and went with it.

“Tanner why do you always get weird flavors?” she asked as we stepped out of the ice cream shop.

“I like to try new things.”

“Bull shit.”

“Fine it makes me look cool if I order something unexpected” I said confidently.

“Or like an idiot” she said as I tried my ice cream making a face. It was gross.

“Yea it’s horrible” I said throwing it away in the nearest trash can. “Let me have some of yours.”

“Hell no it’s not my fault that you have horrible taste.”

“Please Adds” I asked trying to reach for it.

“No Tanner.”

“Come on I love pistachio.”

“Then why don’t you order it?”

“Because you always do” I said with a smile.

“Fine” she said stopping at a bench she held her cone up letting me have some. Before I knew it she shoved it into my face before taking off in the direction of a park, I took off after her after I wiped my face slightly. I chased her around a fountain and past a playground before I grabbed onto her waist pulling her down to the ground with me. She laughed landing on top of me. Her chest pressed to mine, shaking from laughing so hard. I couldn’t laugh, my brain was focused on the contours of her frame and the way it fell perfectly into me. Eventually she looked at my face stopped laughing, and just looked.

“Let me . . .” she stared before taking her thumb and wiping the leftover ice cream from my face. Starting at my chin and finally letting her fingers trail along my mouth. This is crazy, Addie, my best friend, I have feelings for her. “There” she whispered.

“Adds you have some on you” I said looking at the green spot on her nose, I shifted her slightly to unpin my arm and brush it clean with the pad of my thumb. “There.”

“Thanks” she smiled before sitting up next to me, her tan toned legs bent in front of her. “It’s so pretty here. The weather is perfect.”

“Yea it’s great out here” I said scooting up by her. I wanted to let my hands run along her legs, through her hair and along her jaw, but I didn’t. I sat there wanting, but resisting. We sat in silence, watching people walk by and the clouds pass.

“Holy Shit, Crosby, Tanger!” we heard looking around.

“Uncle Max!” Addie shouted jumping up from her seat. “Hey old man.”

“Wow, Addison Crosby, take a look at you. Damn if I was 20 years younger.”

“You wouldn’t stand a chance. Hell you wouldn’t even be in the running.”

“Ouch beautiful. Tanner, you’re lucky you look more like your mom.”

“Shut the hell up old man” she said. “You’re just jealous Uncle Max. You’re not a kid anymore.”

“Yea you’re right” he smiled. “What are you guys doing here?”

“Vacation” I shrugged.

“Tanner fucked up. Go figure” she said bluntly making me smile. That’s my Addie.

“Blunt, you got that from your mom” Max said wrapping his arm around her shoulders. “That and your looks, I seriously hated Sid for stealing her out from under my nose.”

“Then you ran off to Philly and hardly ever saw me and Tanner. Uncle Max was a flake . . .”

“Which is why I have a brilliant idea! You two join me and Meg for dinner. Tonight I’ll send you the address. 8 o’clock, be there, no excuses. Alright I’ll see you two there!”

“Ok . . .” I said as Max walked away. “So dinner with the most interesting couple I have ever met.”

“I know” she said shaking her head. “So guess who didn’t pack anything fancy enough for the dinner we will be going to.”

“Let me guess, a brunette, bright green eyes, about this tall” I said holding my hand up to the top of her head.

“Yea that’s about right” she nodded with a smile.

“I didn’t really pack anything so yea. I guess we’re going to have to find something to wear” I said taking her hand and walking out of the park and back to the main street. We walked down the street looking in the windows trying to find a place that had something dressy to wear tonight, Addie stopped for a second before continuing on. Looking in the window I saw the perfect dress for her.

“Adds let’s go in here” I said grabbing her hand dragging her into the store. I walked us over to the dress and took it off the rack handing it to her. “You’re trying this on.”

“When did you become my personal shopper?”

“I’m sorry to be blunt but damn you will look hot as hell in this.”

“Ok, I’ll try it on Tan” she said turning around and walking towards the attendant. “I need a dressing room.”

“Sweet heart to wear that dress you’re going to need a whole lot more. Let’s get you hooked up” she said taking a measuring tape from the desk and pushing her behind the curtain. “You can sit there and wait” she said to me pointing to the group of chairs.

“Oh so yea, you’re going to . . . Wow” I heard Addie say before the attendant walked out over to the lingerie and back over to the curtain handing Adds a set of lace, that made my heart stop.

“Trust me sweetie, if you saw your boyfriends reaction just now you would wear just those little lace panties” she said making Addison let out a nervous laugh.

“I’m not to sure about this Tanner” Addie said stepping out looking stunning, the navy fabric hugged every curve. I was taking her all in when the sales lady went over and adjusted her boobs practically feeling her up. “Oh ok you’re moving my chest around. Nice to meet you too.”

“Alright go model for the hottie in the chair over there.”

“Holy shit” she whispered walking towards me. “She is crazy. I just got felt up, like hardcore felt up, by some random chick. Then she called you a hottie, be careful she’s a whole lot of crazy.”

“But she was right . . . Well I was right. You look amazing Adds. Wow.”

“You’re just saying that” she said looking herself over in the mirror, scrutinizing herself.

“Addie” I said standing up and walking towards her. “You look amazing. Seriously you look stunning. Every guy is going to staring at you tonight in this dress. Really Adds.” I turned her towards the mirror. “I mean look at yourself. Beautiful.”

“Tanner why are you so sweet.”

“What I can’t tell my best friend that she’s gorgeous” I said with a smile.

“You are seriously amazing Tan. I love you” she said kissing my cheek. “I’m going to take it” she added turning towards the sales lady that felt her up.

“You’re going to need shoes.”

“This is true. And since you picked out the dress Tanner I’m going to need your help with the shoes.”

“That’s not really my specialty.”

“Oh that’s right Tanner you’re better at getting girls out of their clothes.”

“Hey now that was high school and Kelly really sucked at pediddle.”

“I know. How about I just try a couple pairs on and you tell me which ones make my ass look good?” she suggested taking my hand walking over to the wall of shoes. After the third pair she turned to me with a questioning look on her face.

“Yea, those. For sure Adds.” Damn she looks stunning. Beyond beautiful. I’ve never felt like this, I’m in love with her. She’s funny, smart, talented, she dances randomly when she’s a good mood. She has incredible taste and knows me to a tee. Why didn’t I see this before? Why after all those years of our mothers pushing us together am I just now realizing that she’s perfect, like she was made for me?

“Earth to Tanner. Are you ready to go? I mean if I’m going to wear this and look hot as hell you need to not look like a slob.”

“Yea, let’s go” I said as she walked towards the door.

“Good. You spaced out there Tan” she said bumping into me. “What were you thinking about?”

“Nothing really. Just a bunch of random crap really.”

“Oh” she said looking every direction but at me.

“Mostly about how much fun I’m having with my best friend.”

“I’m having a lot of fun too Tan.”

“Well luckily the week is just beginning.”

“Luckily” she said linking her arm with mine. “There” she said pulling me into the store. “Grey dress pants, blue button up, and a tie.”

“Yea?”

“Yep.”

“Even with you wearing a blue dress?”

“Yea, you look nice in blue Tanner.”

“Ok. Blue it is Addison” I said taking the shirt from her hands.

“I’m going to pick out a tie and shoes, go find pants.”

“Maybe I want to go all Risky Business tonight.”

“Not really a good idea. Pants are a must in public.”

“Alright I’ll get pants, if I have to!” I said making her laugh.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry again (for like the millionth time) for taking so long to post. Lots on my plate lately.

Comments would be greatly appreciated!