‹ Prequel: Someone To Save Me

You Can Fight Fate, You Just End Up Losing

Bright Shiney Star

“Mom Pops! I’m home” I shouted.

“Addie!” I heard Jamie shout from behind me almost tackling me in a hug.

“Jamison! How is half of my favorite brother?”

“Good, Pat is in the back yard hitting on Julie.”

“What is up with that? All the hockey players decided to procreate and have their kids interbreed” I said looking around Jamie to see Tanner standing in the front door way with a smile on his face. We decided to keep us a little quiet before letting our families know about our relationship. The rest of the week in Toronto had been amazing like a little romantic getaway after the awkward exchange of feelings. “Tan, quit lurking in the entry. It’s borderline creepy.”

“Sorry, I didn’t want to interrupt your sibling moment. Besides I thought that Pat was all over Renee? Am I going to have to have a chat with him, he better not lead my baby sister on.”

“I’ll tell him that but he’ll say something about you and Addie and I don’t want to do that.”

“I knew there was a reason that I liked you best Jamie. You’re by far the better twin.”

“I know this! Mom and Dad are out getting groceries they’ll be back in a bit. I’m going back out to the pool.”

“Ok Jamie, We’ll be out in a bit” I said as my little brother walked through the kitchen and out the back door.

“Finally” Tan said stepping quickly to my side wrapping his arms around my waist holding me flush to his body. His hand laced itself into my hair as he pulled me face closer to his letting his lips crash down on mine. “Those few minutes were torture.”

“Yeah?” I whispered against his lips. “You know that Jamie is in love with Renee right?”

“I thought Pat was.”

“No, Pat likes to flirt. Jamie is the sweetheart in love with your baby sister.’

“Oh dear . . .”

“Let’s take our bags upstairs.”

“Yeah” he said whispering, wiggling his eyebrows before kissing me quickly again and grabbing our bags to take up stairs. “Pool time Adds?”

“I think so” I said seeing his eyes light up.

“You still have that blue bikini?” he said following me up the stairs.

“Maybe” I replied walking into my old room with Tanner right on my heels. I walked over to my dresser and looked through the drawer spotting the exact bikini that he mentioned. I pulled it out and before I knew it Tan had pulled me onto my bed and ran his hand up my side. “Hi to you.”

“Hello to you” he said kissing up my neck, along my jaw before finally landing on my lips. “Addie.”

“Tan” I said in between kisses.

TANNER

Hearing her whisper my name as we made out in her bedroom, on her bed without anyone knowing what was going on was unbelievable, and the more we made out the more incoherent she became until she was just moaning. Her body pressed under mine, her hands holding me to her, and her lips, those perfectly plump lips, moving with mine like no one had ever done before.

“Tanner we should stop” she whispered.

“I don’t want to.”

“I don’t want to either” she admitted.

“Then why should we?”

“People don’t know about us just yet.”

“Why did we decided to keep it quiet again?”

“I don’t know anymore.”

“Why don’t you change into that ridiculously hot bikini and we’ll go out to the pool and I’ll just gawk at you all day until you realize that it’s easier to just let them know that after all these year they were right about us. Much to your father’s dismay.”

“Sounds like a plan” she said sliding out from beneath me and walking into the attached bathroom. Damn, she will be the death of me. I laid in her bed for a few minutes before I heard the door open again and she walked out making my heart skip a little. “Hey, you plan on changing Tan?” she asked sitting on the edge of the bed.

“Yea” I said smiling up at her.

“What?”

“You. You’re beautiful. And you’re my best friend. My incredibly hot best friend who is an amazing kisser. I’m so mad it took us 21 years to realize what was there.”

“That’s a lot of time to make up for. At least from what 13 on? That’s 8 years” she said laying down next to me. I turned running my hand across her stomach, watching the rise and fall of her chest. Her beautiful chest, actually everything is beautiful about her, her breast though damn. I found myself tracing her stomach then slowly moving up to the edge of the fabric covering her chest. Her breath hitched slightly before she placed her hand on my face pulling me towards her. “Tan.”

“Yea?” I whispered after giving her a quick peck.

“Change” she said with a smile. “I’m going to go soak up some sun. Join me when you’re ready” she added standing in the doorway.

“I’ll be down in a bit Adds.” I sat there trying to get a grip on what had happened the past couple of days. But no matter which way I looked at it, it seemed crazy. We had gone our entire lives as best friends and suddenly we’re together. I couldn’t stop smiling.

When I walked out to their backyard my eyes land on her. The way the sun hit her hair making the already gorgeous curls look like threads of gold and copper. I walked slowly behind her before blocking the sun from her almost completely.

“Hello to you” she said lifting her sunglasses from her eyes.

“Hey” I said sitting on the edge on her lounge chair.

“Tan” she whispered sitting up. She placed her hand on the back of my neck and pulled me into a kiss in front of her brothers and Jordan Staal’s daughter, Julie. She moved closer running her other hand up my chest holding me close.

“Addie, what was that for?”

“I know we talked about this and decided that we should keep this secret for a bit but I don’t want to hide it Tans. I love you” she said resting her forehead on mine.

I smiled gave her another quick kiss saying, “I love you too Adds.”

“Dude, what the hell” I heard from behind me. Addie laughed seeing Patrick and Jamie looking over at us confused as to what was going on. “Why the hell are you about to have sex with my sister in our backyard?” Pat asked looking between Addie and I. She just smiled taking a hold of my hand.

“Patrick Jacob Crosby” I heard a familiar voice say to our right and I wanted to hide.

“But dad. They were seriously all over each other” Pat said trying to justify himself.

“Leave it” he said firmly. “Addison.”

“Yeah daddy?”

“Come here” he said gesturing towards the house. “We should talk.”

ADDISON

When the words we should talk came from his mouth, my mouth went dry and my legs went numb. It felt like an out of body experience walking into the house. When he turned around he had a smile on his face.

“Addie” he said holding his arms out. “Give your old man a hug hello.”

“Why did I think you would be pissed about the whole Tanner thing?” I asked holding on to my dad.

“I told you. You two were made for one another. I didn’t like it 21 years ago. and I still didn’t like it 5 years ago but we can’t fight it anymore baby girl.”

“So, me and Tanner . . . You’re ok with that.”

“As long as you’re happy.”

“I’m happy.”

“If he hurts you . . .”

“You’ll beat the living shit out of him.”

“Right” he laughed.

“Love you daddy.”

“Love you too peanut. Now go out there and tell him he’s not dead. He looks worried.”

“Maybe I want to see him sweat a bit. Where’s mom?”

“Kitchen.”

“Momma!” I shouted skipping into the kitchen.

“Addie my sweet sweet baby girl.”

“Hi. So news.”

“What’s the news?”

“Tanner and I. . . are a we.”

“Oh sweetie I thought you said news. I’ve known this was going to happen since you guys were kids and he’d chase you around trying to kiss you.”

“Well then, this was uneventful.”

“Tell me about it, is he a good kisser. I always thought that his father would be a great kisser and that stuff has to be genetic.”

“Mom. I am not going to comment on Tanner’s kissing ability.”

“What? Please you always loved it when you were kids, you’d practically beg him to kiss you I have pictures to prove it” mom said gesturing towards the wall of frames just out side the kitchen documenting mine and my brothers lives. The majority of the pictures of me had Tanner in them too. “You two always were adorable.”

“Well yea, but I’m pretty sure I made up about 80% of that adorable.”

“Enjoy it Addie, you guys were made for each other.”

“Thanks I think I will. And I’m going to start with the pool right now” I said walking towards the patio. When I got outside I saw Tanner sitting at the edge on the pool his leg tapping erratically on the cement. He was nervous. It took me a while to realize why. I smiled and put on my best ‘we’re in trouble’ face before walking over to him.

“Oh shit, your dad is pissed isn’t he?”

“Well” I said sighing as I sat on his lap. “Not exactly.” I leaned close to him taking his hand in mine before kissing him firmly. “They knew it was going to happen, so daddy isn’t pissed. But if you hurt me he’s going to kill you.”

“Really?” he asked looking surprised. I smiled kissing him again, this time his hands met the small of my back and my hair. I couldn’t believe how amazing it was to be open with him, making out with him in my parents backyard with my brothers messing around with Julie. His hand slid up my side to the edge of my bathing suit, his thumb brushing against my breast. I gasped feeling him smile against my lips before deepening the kiss.

“Tan” I laughed feeling his grip tighten on me.

“Addie” he said his hand still dangerously close to cupping my chest. If his gorgeous father kisses anything like Tanner, Aunt Janie is one lucky woman. We were perhaps getting a little too into it but it’s Tanner. Suddenly Tanner and I were in the air then in the water in a matter of seconds. When we surfaced I shivered and saw Pat and Jamie looking down at us laughing.

“Thought you two needed to cool off a bit” Pat said continuing to laugh.

“No actually I think it wasn’t steamy enough” I said as Tanners arms wrapped around my waist resting his chin on my shoulder.

“Addie” Tanner whispered pulling me away from the side over to the steps sitting and pulling me onto his lap effortlessly.

“Tan” I replied turning towards him more, letting my hand brush his face. “I love you.”

“Love you, too Adds” he replied resting his forehead against my shoulder. “I know we’ve spent the past week together but I was thinking we should have a date. A legitimate date.”

“That sounds great Tans.”

“Yea?”

“Yea, name the time and place. I’ll be there. I’ll always be there.”

“You always are” he whispered wrapping his arms tighter around my waist. “That’s why I love you Addison.”

“Tanner, can we freeze this summer or at least put it on a loop. I don’t want to go back to school without you.”

“Madison to Chicago isn’t that far Adds. I think we can handle that for another year” he said confidently.

“By then you’ll be some big shot Hockey Star.”

“Let’s hope Addie.”

“No it’s going to happen there’s no hoping it will happen. It’s inevitable” I said shaking my head. “You just can’t forget who was always there for you every game your entire life.”

“Hey the college ones you weren’t there.”

“Confession . . .” I said looking away from him. “You know that they broadcast the games on the school website right?”

“Yea. Really Adds.”

“Yep, every single one Tanner” I smiled resting my head on his shoulder.

“I didn’t know that.”

“I had to make sure you were ok Tan. I didn’t want you to get hurt. Every check I would cringe a little.”

“Why?”

“I was worried you would get hurt Tanner. You’re my best friend I didn’t want you to get hurt.”

“I didn’t get hurt . . .”

“I distinctively remember you getting stitches a couple times. Hence the scar right above your eyebrow and on your chin. The bruised ribs, broken hand, sprained ankles . . . Shall I go on?”

“No I think we’re good. I didn’t get hurt badly.”

“Thanks to all the rules they revised about hits to the head. Daddy almost didn’t make it back, I don’t want that to happen to you Tan. Even before I realized how I felt about you I never wanted you hurt.”

“So you watched every game.”

“Yep. Sounds kind of lame.”

“No, it’s not lame. You’re seriously amazing.”

“I know” I said climbing out of the pool. Walking over to the chaise where my towel is laying I can feel his eyes on me. I dry off and wrap the towel around my body and head up to my room to change. I pulled on leggings and a loose blue top, apparently mom had wore something like this when she was my age too, funny how trends come back around. Going down the stairs I heard my dad talking to someone.

“Yea, it was a little scary at first but as long as they’re happy I guess.”

“Sidney, they’re made for each other. Seriously fate had that relationship planned out since the very beginning. This was bound to happen Sid. Honestly I expected it sooner, but it’s happened and have you seen our daughters face? She’s completely happy.”

“She is isn’t she.”

“Yes coach she is.” I smiled hearing my parents talk about me and Tan.

“Addie!”

“Tan!” I said running towards my best friend. Only to be tackled by him, at 10 he’s already towering over me. “Tanner! Get off of me.”

“Addie I missed you. Longest Summer ever!”

“Next summer we’re telling the parents there is no way we’re spending that long apart again.”

“Yep never again will I be away from my best friend!”

“Daddy got me a new camera Tan come see it” I said taking a hold of his hand pulling him up the stairs of our Nova house up into my room. He’s my best friend I don’t know why our parents keep talking about us getting married one day. That’s weird. He’s my best friend for pete’s sake!

“That’s sweet Adds!” He said taking my new basically professional grade camera and snapped a couple pictures. Of the two of us.

“I know right! I’m going to be a famous sports photographer someday Tan and I’m going to take your pictures. Because you’re going to be FAMOUS!”

“You are too Addie.”

“Not as famous as you. . .”

“You will be Adds I know you will.”


“What are you doing Adds?” I heard snapping me out of the trance I had been in.

“Reminiscing” I said simply wrapping my arms around his neck loosely. “You’re all wet, go dry off.”

“What are you reminiscing about?”

“When you said I was going to be famous.”

“Ah, I believe that you told me the same thing.”

“You did, but I was 10” I said with a fake serious face. “You’re going to be famous. Me on the other hand.”

“Shut up, I love you. And you are going to be a star, even if you’re just a little one. You’re my bright and shiny star.”

“I’m trying very hard not to laugh! That was epically cheesy! Did that really come out of your mouth Tanner?” I said laughing hysterically making my parents look out into the hall. “You really are an idiot sometimes Tan” I said shaking my head leaving him standing on the stairs. “He’s so stupid” I said to myself.

“Addison! You’re my bright shiny star!” he yelled obnoxiously before running up the stairs.

“Addie” my mom said wrapping her arm around my waist. “That boy loves you.”

“Yea, I know. He’s my bright shiny star too” I said resting my head on her shoulder.

“Oh sweetie! This is epic!”

“Mom really.”

“Yes! Aunt Janie is going to be thrilled when We tell her it’s finally official!”

“Mom!”

“They’re coming here for a few days. Renee is coming too and we all know how much your brother loves her.”

“Yea Jamie. . .”

“I meant Patrick. Jamie and Renee.”

“Mom you know Jamie, he’s immensely shy there is no way he will ever out do Pat to get the girl.”

“They would be so cute.”

“Mom no meddling. If she’s smart she’ll see past Pat’s advances and realize that Jamie is the right twin for her. And Pat. . . He’ll figure out that Renee isn’t the right fit for him and keep flirting with Uncle Flower’s daughter.”

“You have it all figured out don’t you?”

“Yea. Combining 3 penguin families.”

“Now who’s meddling?”

“It’s different I’m going to, in the words of The Beatles, let it be. You can’t fight fate mom, I tired” I said with a smile as Tanner walked into the kitchen. He smiled wrapping his arms around my waist lifting me slightly from the ground. “Hi.”

“Hey you.”

“Oh this is so cute” mom said with a content sigh. “Sidney aren’t they just so cute?”

“Yea Katie so cute” I could hear the eye roll. “Tanner, just so you know, you’re in the guest room, on the other side of the house. No funny business in my house. . .”

“Daddy” I said hiding my face from him.

“That’s fine Uncle Sid. Mr. Uncle Sid . . .”

“I’m still your Uncle Sid Tanner. You just better not hurt my baby girl.”

“Oh my gosh Dad. Really?” I said turning around giving my father a look that unfortunately made him smile. “Damn it dad. Stop smiling! It’s not funny.”

“It’s kind of funny Addie” Tanner said with a small laugh.

“Yea peanut it’s kind of funny.” I smiled hearing my dad use the nickname he’s called me my entire existence.

“Daddy, I freakin love you!” I said walking over to my dad wrapping my arms around him.

“Love you too peanut” he said before adding, “I’m serious about the guest room.”

“I know you are.”