Sequel: Hurts Like Heaven
Status: Complete.

Bliss and Bloodlust

Chapter Fourteen.

Much to my disappointment Daniel hadn't stopped by, but he had called when I was driving to work Tuesday morning, so it made up for the lack of his presence, but only slightly. Aunt Bren had came home last night and was now preparing to leave on another trip, this time to Toronto, on Wednesday. She would be gone until Saturday. Work was the usual, and Cassie left out together at three.

“So Aaron said he wanted to see if you wanted to get drinks when he gets off.” she said. Aaron worked for a gas and electric company. “I told him we had to work tomorrow, but he insisted.”

“Do we have to?” I whined.

She made a face. “Apparently yes.”

I sighed loudly. “Where?”

“Some place called Moonlight. It's on fifth, I think.”

So we both went home and changed and at around seven-ish we met Aaron at the bar called Moonlight. The place was nice, nearly all the furniture was in white and silvery gray and decorated nicely. There weren't a lot of people here, but it was still early, plus it was a weeknight. We got our beers and settled down at a table.

“So what's the special occasion, Aaron?” I asked.

“I've got a promotion.”

“That's great.” I said, happily.

“Congrats Aaron.” Cassie said, beaming at him.

“Thanks. Of course it means more hours but it's worth it.”

“Well, I'll drink to that.” Cass said taking a deep swing of her beer.

“To Aaron.” I said, then held up my glass, they did the same and as our glasses clinked together we all said, “Cheers.”

“Well, well, well,” a sweet voice said from behind me, “Fancy seeing you here.” I turned and saw Daniel. Wearing a dark suit, hair slicked back and looking very debonaire. And he was smiling. My heart beat picked up.

“Dan. What are you doing here?”

“Business.” he said, then turned to my best friends, “Hello Cassie. Aaron.”

“Hey, Daniel.” Cass said cautiously looking over at Aaron who only grunted in response.

“Business?” I questioned. “Don't tell me-”

“It's one of my ventures.” he said, smiling. “Mind if I steal her away for a moment?” he didn't wait for an answer as he took my hand and led me away from the table. “If I had known you were coming I would have made sure everything was paid for.”

“I didn't know this was your bar.”

“Well now you do, darling.”

“Is it all yours?”

“Me and my two partners.”

“It's nice.” I said, looking around.

“Mm-hmm.” he said, a sexy smile playing on his lips.

“What are you thinking?” I asked nervously.

“Nothing I'm going to speak out loud.” he said in a low voice that made sent delicious chills down my spine. I blushed. “Are you guys staying out late?” he asked.

“No. We were just having a drink. Aaron got a promotion, he suggested this place.”

“He most likely won't be returning.”

“Why would you say that?” I knew Aaron and Daniel didn't quite see eye to eye but he surely wouldn't swear off this place simple because Daniel owned it.

Daniel didn't answer just looked behind me. I turned and saw Aaron standing next to Cassie who was still seated, his face was hard. She seemed to be trying to talk to him but he wasn't listening. She glanced in our direction and making Aaron do the same. He glowered at me. Daniel put his hand on my shoulder and turned me back around to face him.

“He's pissed.” he said softly with a satisfied smile.

“Why are you two like that?”

“He thinks I'm not good enough for you. Perhaps he's right.” This was new to me. What made Aaron think that? “But it won't detour me. I'm going to come over later.” he said looking into my eyes.

“You know my aunt is there, right? And I've got work tomorrow.”

“So do I.” he insisted. “How about I bring over some take out.”

“Maybe.” I looked over my shoulder to my best friends. Aaron was seated again, facing us but looking at Cass. “I'll call you.”

“The night grows ever late.” he said a little impatiently.

“Fine. You can come over. Bring something good.”

“Besides myself?” he said playfully.

I smiled. “Let me get back over there.”

“Alright.” Dan kissed my cheek. “I've got some things to wrap up here but I'll be over in an hour or two.”

“Don't keep me waiting.” I bit my lip. The effect he was having on me was obvious. He smiled and his eyes darkened. I knew what that meant. “By the way,” I said, “You look good in a suit.” His smile widened.

I walked back over to the table. Cass and Aaron stopped talking as I approached. “Did you know he owned this place, T.” Aaron asked.

“No.” I answered honestly. “Does it matter.”

“Not at all.” he said in a tone that suggested it did.

“Let's just go.” Cass said, looking tired.

“Good idea.” I said and we left out.

Aaron was quiet as we walked back to our cars. “Aaron?” I said, “Can I speak with you for a moment?” He looked at Cassie who pretended to be trying to locate something in her purse. She moved away from us to give us some privacy.

“I know I've been a dick. And I'm sorry.” he said before I could speak. “I've been unfairly rude. I promise to try to behave better. I'll stay out of it.” I didn't want to lose his friendship, I had already lost enough.

“I get that you don't like him,” I said, “but I've never seen you like this before. Not even when I was with Jay.”

“And I've never seen you like this.” he said in turn. “I know Jayson was a jerk and that he did you wrong. And this guy is just a rebound or whatever, but just be careful. Please.” his eyebrows knitted together as he frowned. “I don't want you to get hurt.”

I sighed loudly. “I can handle myself. And whatever happens with mine and Dan's friendship, it'll be on me, okay. And if it goes wrong you can say you told me so and rub it in my face.” I playfully hit him on the arm, “But until then just let it be.”

“Just promise me you won't let this guy hurt you.”

Something in the way he said it set off alarm bells. What was he getting at? “Aaron, do you know something about Daniel?”

“No.” he shook his head, “No. I'm just trying to protect my friend.” It was the truth, but there was something he wasn't telling me

“I'll be safe. I promise.” I smiled at him. “Let's get Cass. She looks lonely without us.”

~~~~~


Aunt Bren was in bed when I got home. I told her I would be having company and she promised not to be nosy, besides she need to rest. Daniel came to the back door, around nine, which was a first. He had some bags of food in hand, but the food wasn't cooked.

“What happened to take out?” I asked.

“This will be better.” he said as he began taking the contents of the bag out and placing them on the counter.

“I didn't know you could cook.”

“There's a lot you don't know.” he smiled.

“This is very sweet of you, Dan.”

“You just called me Dan for the second time tonight.” he said still smiling.

“Did I? Well... I guess I did.”

Daniel began cooking, chicken with stir-fry vegetables. A simple meal. And I was starving. I watched him in awe. He moved with this inhuman gracefulness that I figured came from being a vampire. He was aware of my watching him. He glanced over his shoulder at me several times, smiling. When he was done we sat at the table and ate. Surprisingly everything was delicious. It was late when we finished.

“You look tired.” Daniel said, tilting his head as he looked at me.

“I am.”

“Off to bed we go.” he said and swept me up in his arms and carried me upstairs. “You kept this.” Dan said as he observed the white withered rose lying on my dresser.

I sat down on my bed. “Yeah. I mean to ask you about that. Why did you leave it?”

“Did it bother you?”

“I'm not sure bothered is the right word. It was just... strange.”

“I'm a sort of strange being. Would you expect anything less?”

“That's not answer.”

He sighed. “I just didn't want you flirting with disaster.”

“Did you think I would fall under Jayson's charms again?”

“I wasn't sure then.”

“And now?”

He moved his face closer to mine, “I know you won't. Let's go to bed.” And that was the end of that.

~~~~~


The sun wasn't up when my eyes opened. I looked at my alarm clock, it read 5:13. It hadn't gone off. Weird. I stretched and looked to my right. Daniel wasn't there but his clothes were and I smelled food. I slipped out of bed and went downstairs. In the kitchen Daniel was cooking breakfast. “Morning darling.” he said when he saw me.

I walked over to him. He was flipping pancakes. I gave him a quick hug from behind. “I figured you'd be hungry.” I was going to make it breakfast in bed. But since you're already down here, mind setting the plates?”

“Not at all. It smells wonderful.” I said as I went over to the cabinets. He placed the food on our plates and we dug in. “You're sort of spoiling me, you know.” I said softly after we were done.

“Yeah. I know.” he smirked. “Go get dressed.”

I got my uniform on, pulled my hair in a ponytail and peaked in Bren's room to tell her bye. She would be gone on her trip before I got off. “Daniel left you some breakfast in the microwave.” I told her. She said both thanks and goodbye sleepily and off I went.

Daniel 's blue Chevrolet was parked behind my truck. He gave me a kiss before he went and hopped inside. I got in my pickup and drove off behind him. We went in different directions.

After work I came home and since Aunt Bren was gone I had the house to myself. Dan was working late, so I wouldn't be getting any visits from him tonight. Thursday went by without any eventful moments, as did Friday. By Saturday I was tired but luckily I didn't have to work again until Monday. Bren would be back tonight some time, but I think she as going to make a stop at Phil's first.

I lied in bed, too comfortable to move. My cell phone rang and I reluctantly had to roll over to retrieve it from my nightstand. “Darling,” Daniel said once I had answered it. “I'm outside. May I come in?”

“Yeah. I'll be down.” I got out of bed but to my shock and surprise he was outside my bedroom door.

“I brought some food.” he said holding up a white plastic bag in one hand and coffee in a cup holder in the other.

“Would you stop breaking in my house.” I said but stepped aside to let him enter. “You nearly gave me a heart attack.”

“Sorry.” he touched my arm softly after freeing his hands.

“I thought you said you were outside.”

“I was...” he answered, “Then I wasn't.”

I made a face.

“Relax. I've got omelets, bagels and coffee.” He kicked off his shoes and got in bed, crossing his legs and began handing me some food. I sat down next to him and took the coffee he offered. It smelled heavenly

“Thanks.” I said quietly.

“We're you still asleep?”

“Not really. Just lying here.”

He smiled and drank from his cup. “I was thinking that maybe you'd be up for our sort of date.”

“The club?”

“Mm-hmm.”

“Tonight?” I guessed.

“Mm-hmm.”

I didn't give him an answer and we ate our small breakfast. I went off to take a shower afterward. Daniel was lounging on my bed comfortably when I returned.

“Making yourself at home, I see.”

“What can I say, I like it here.”

“How come you seem so normal?” I asked, “I though vampires were supposed to be brooding and mysterious.”

He laughed. “I have an eternity to live, why would I want to spend it brooding? And I am mysterious.”

I suppose he was. There was still a lot I didn't know about him and his life, or lifestyle. He stretched and pulled the covers over himself. “Get in bed with me.”

“No. I'm gonna get dressed.” I was wearing only a bathrobe but Dan quickly pulled me onto the bed with him.

“You can do that later.” He pulled me into an intoxicating kiss, his hand was resting on my lower back the other in my hair.

“Seriously, Daniel. I've got to get dressed.” I said as his lips kissed my collarbone.

I was trying really hard not to give in but it was useless. My hand touched the side of his face as I closed my eyes. His lips found mine again and the kiss grew deeper and deeper. I was very much aware of my naked body beneath my robe. All he had to do was untie it and it was over.

I needed to think this over, we were moving way too fast. I've only known him for a little more than two weeks. But I couldn't stop myself. Even when I saw his eyes I continued kissing, touching and getting more and more turned on. His fangs were extended so he was getting just as excited as I. He licked his lips as I caught my breath.

“I'm following your lead.” he said breathlessly. “It's all up to you.” He caressed my thigh.

“I think... we need... to take things... slow.” Even as I said it, I wasn't convinced. Daniel only smiled, if I wasn't used to the fangs I might have found it disturbing.

“Since we're going to take it slow, maybe you should unwrap your leg from my body. It's sending me a different message.”

I hadn't realized I had wrapped my legs around his waist. So I slowly untangle myself, feeling slightly embarrassed by my actions. I wasn't normally this way. I blushed as he kissed my cheek. He was still lying on top of me. After I got my heart to slow down I said, “Can I ask you something Daniel?”

“Yes, anything, love.”

“Uh, how should I put this? Do vampires have sex the same way as humans?” I covered my eyes. “Oh, lord, that's a stupid question. Never mind.”

“It's not stupid at all.” he moved my hands away from my face. “Yes, we do everything the same way as you do, nothing much changes in that department. Well except for the blood.”

I thought for a moment. “How bad does it hurt? Being bitten, I mean.”

“It can be pleasurable, actually. Unless the vampire is intentionally making you suffer.”

“It can actually feel good?” I asked in disbelief.

He chucked against my neck. “Yes. It's rather blissful.”

Blissful? “Until it isn't.” I muttered and he nodded solemnly. “How can you have so much control?”

“Years of discipline.” He looked at me then. His eyes were back to normal. Sort of.

“You were talking about vamping out. What does it feel like, the bloodlust?”

“It's the most scary, most thrilling rush. Like being turned on times a thousand over. You can lose control, let go, give over to the animal inside.” he smiled seductively. His finger traced a line down my neck to the space between my breast. “The best and worse feeling I've ever known. You make it extra hard.”

I swallowed hard. “Why is that?”

“Because I've had your blood. And you've had mine.”

“All your blood is out of my system now.”

“There's still a trace. Don't ask how I know, I just do.”

“But why is it hard, I thought because you've had my blood it would make it easier.”

“Well it's doesn't make me uncontrollable or anything, you're blood is just, delicious. I can't explain it to you.” He closed his eyes again. When he opened them he kissed me softly. “You better put your clothes on, I'm very close to removing that robe.” I felt shivers running down my body. It took all my willpower to get out of the bed and get dressed. “So about our date tonight.”

“Was it a date?” I asked skeptically.

“Yes it was. So how 'bout it? You didn't give me an answer earlier.”

“Okay.” I said.

“You sure?” he studied my face, “We don't have to go to the bar if you don't want to.”

“But, I want to Dan.”

“Okay. Alright” After a minute he grinned.

“Uh, Daniel? What should I wear?”

“I'd prefer if you wore nothing at all. But if you must wear clothes, anything sexy will do.”

“I don't know how to pull off sexy. I don't own anything sexy.” I felt rather shy now.

“You don't know how to do sexy?” Daniel said shaking his head. “Sweetheart you're always sexy.”

“Really?” I asked in disbelief.

“Yes, really.”

He then went to my closet and looked around for a few minutes, emerging with an armful of clothes.

“I found some things that I think will make every man drool and fall over himself to get to you.”

“Please.” I said rolling my eyes and going over to the bed wear he dumped the clothes.

“Give yourself some credit. You could wear a potato sack and still look more beautiful than a girl in a thousand dollar dress.” I couldn't help but smile at that.

He brushed my hair away from my neck and kissed it sweetly. He stood behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. With his head resting on my shoulder he purred, “Any man would love to have you on his arm.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all you guys for commenting and reading. And I;'m so glad you're loving the story as much as I am.