Sequel: Hurts Like Heaven
Status: Complete.

Bliss and Bloodlust

Chapter Seven.

I left a little after nine. They offered to stay with me but I reassured them that I would be fine. After a long shower I slipped on a tee and shorts and climbed into bed. I need to be up early for my shift. There was a soft knock on the window. I looked over and saw Daniel crouched on the window sill.

“What are you doing?” I said opening the window and he slipped gracefully in. “You ever heard of a door?”

“This is much more fun, darling.” He smiled and went over to stand by my dresser.

Rolling my eyes, I closed the window and sat on the bed. “What's up?” I asked after a moment of uncomfortable silence.

“I was just checking on you.”

“I'm fine.” I was getting really tired of everyone worrying about me.

“How was your day?” he asked inquiringly.

I looked away from him. Did he know about my going to meet Stephanie? Why was I so worried about him knowing? Why should I care about what he thought?

“It was fine.” I muttered.

“What did that bitch say when she saw you?” I raised an eyebrow. “I saw you earlier at Stacy's job.”

“You mean Stephanie.” I correct him.

“Yes. Stephanie. I figured you were going show her you were still alive. Am I right?”

I frowned.“Were you spying on me?”

“I was just looking out for your well being. Should anything have gone wrong I wanted to be there to set it right.”

“What would have went wrong, Daniel?”

“Nothing. Everything.”

I stood up in frustration. “Look, I don't need a babysitter, I can fight my own battles.”

“Do I look like a babysitter?” He sounded offended, but then he chuckled. “I was just doing you a favour.”

“And at this point I'll be forever in your debt. And I don't let debts go unpaid. So what can I do so were even?”

“There's nothing I need from you. Well...” He smirked wickedly “There are a few things I can think of.”

He moved closer to me and I backed up, bumping into the wall by the door. His face was inches from mine. His fangs had extended a fraction. They looked sharper than I remembered. And his eyes looked darker as well.

“You smell good, darling.”

I swallowed hard. “Don't call me that.” I said nervously.

“But it fits you so well.”

“Well... I don't like it.”

“You're no fun.”

“No, I'm not. Could you back up, please.”

“You're beautiful.”

“Daniel. Back up, please.” I was feeling more uncomfortable by the minute.

Something flickered in his eyes too fast for me to read. He smiled and moved back over to the window. I walked back over to the bed.

“Look,” I said, “can we talk tomorrow. I have to be up early for work.”

“Sure, I'm a little tired too.”

He took off his jacket and tossed it on the dresser. Then removed his shirt and pants. He was now wearing a dark wife beater and matching boxer-briefs. His lean body was slightly more muscular than I expected.

“You're not staying.” I said. He ignored me and climbed into bed patting the mattress, inviting me to join him.

“Daniel go home, I can't do this right now. Plus you're clearly hungry and I cant...” I trailed off.

“I'm not hungry. I had a nice meal before I came.”

Uh, I wasn't sure if he meant actual food or food of the vampire variety.

“So... then why are you all fangy?”

“I'm horny.” he said simply.

Yeah, this just gets better and better.

“I'm definitely not doing that.” I felt a bit appalled. “Don't you have some submissive human who can take care of that?”

He laughed as he fluffed my pillow. ”You're funny. No, I don't keep a human slave around in my basement so can have a fuck and a bite.”

“So how do you feed?” I said it before I could stop myself. I don't think I wanted to know.

“From willing humans. You'd be surprised how many humans actually enjoy being bitten. And there are places we can go to feed and well... you know.”

Yup. I really didn't want to know.

“Come on, darling. I promise not to do anything you don't want me to.” He said and I could hear, more than see, his smile.

So after five minutes of protest I reluctantly climbed into bed, regretting having worn shorts. He placed his arm underneath my head and draped the other over my stomach like he did the other night. I hate to admit it but I felt so comfortable that I closed my eyes and moved closer to his cool pale skin.

“Goodnight Tourie.” he whispered sweetly in my ear. I smiled in spite of myself.

~~~~~


I was holding a gun in my hand and it was pointed at Jayson's head as he sat on his knees, execution style. I took satisfaction in seeing tears in his gray eyes.

“Any last request?” I asked him.

He had been begging, pleading for his life but I wouldn't listen.

“Baby I love you, please don't do this.”

“You made you're own bed, now lie in it.” I said and with a smile spreading across my face.

Then I killed him in cold blood.


I woke up in a cold sweat.

“Shh. I've got you.” Daniel whispered in my ear and after a few unsettling minutes I felt myself come back to earth. “It's only a dream. Nothing will harm you.”

And even though those were just words, I believed them fully. I shut my eyes and sleep found me yet again.

My alarm blared causing me to wake with a start hours later.

Daniel's arm reached across me to turn it off with lightening speed then he snuggled closer. I reluctantly opened my eyes. It was still very dark and the clock read 4:30.

Something about being up before the sun was even a glimmer in the sky made me feel slow and sluggish. But this morning I felt fine and very much rested. Vampire blood. That stuff makes you feel as healthy as a horse.

I wanted to go back to sleep but it was futile. So I tried to get out of bed after five minute only to have Daniel pull me back to him. “I have to get up.”

“Stay with me a little longer.” He murmured sleepily and draped his leg over mine. I had no choice but to stay put.

My alarm blared again and Daniel cut it off before I could. I turned to face him. He was wide awake and smiling.

“Morning darling.”

“Morning Daniel. Could you untangle yourself from my body? I have to get ready.”

“Sure thing.” He said as he slowly moved his legs and arms, freeing me from him.

I got up and turned on the light, squinting my eyes. I grabbed my brush and began working on my hair. Daniel, still lying in my bed comfortably, watched me through the mirror. His eyes were intense.

“Can I ask you something?” I said, breaking the silence.

“Anything, darling.”

“How can you be out during the day? I thought you were allergic to sunlight or something.”

“That's a myth. We don't have a sun allergy but our eyes are just a bit sensitive to light.” He chuckled and threw his head back on the pillow. “Silly humans. The things you will tell yourselves so you'll think you're safe.”

I ignore the silly humans remark and asked, “So are you allergic to garlic? Can you only be killed by a stake?”

“I eat garlic all the time and are you planning on killing me?”

“No.” I said quickly. “Just curious is all.”

“Well, you'll have to figure that one out for yourself.”

I waited another minute before asking, “How old are you?”

“How old do I look?”

“Mid twenties. But I'm guessing you're a lot older.”

“I was twenty nine when I was turned.”

I picked up my comb and raked it through my mane. “And how long a go was that?” he didn't answer. “How did it happen?”

“We don't talk about our rebirth much.” My comb got stuck in my hair. “Let me do that for you.”

And Daniel was out of the bed in a blink and was gently removing the comb.

“Thanks.” He smiled and continued to comb my hair.

When he was done my thick, frizzy mane was a hell of a lot better, but that ain't saying much. I smiled at Daniel in the mirror. “I'll be right back.” I left and went in the bathroom to wash my face, brush my teeth and slip on my uniform.

I returned to the room and Daniel was putting on his pants. He stopped midway through to look up at me.

“Don't mind me.” I said shyly as I went over to the mirror to apply some makeup, trying not to stare through the mirror as he pulled on his shirt. I love wearing makeup, just not too much. No foundation, just a little blush, some eyeshadow, liner and two coats of mascara.

I was putting on my lip gloss when Daniel came up behind me and slipped his arm around my waist. “You are gorgeous.” He said sounding every bit sincere.

I laughed it off. “Yeah right. It's the vampire blood.”

“Nope. It's you. Even when you were lying there half dead you were beautiful.” He placed a soft kiss on my neck causing me to sigh softly before I could catch myself.

“Could you stop reminding me of my near death experience. I think about it enough without the reminder.” I pulled from him and began straightening my hair. I didn't mean to sound so bitchy but I just need to get my mind back to some bit of normality and soon.

“Sorry.” he muttered a bit angrily, going over to sit on the bed.

When I got finished it was ten after, and my hair looked only slightly better. “Ugh” I sighed under my breath.

“You look fine.” Daniel said. “Since you don't seem to like compliments, I thought fine was safe to say.”

I rolled my eyes at that and left the room without another word. He followed me downstairs into the kitchen. I got a bowl from the cabinet.

“Is the all you're going to eat?” Daniel asked as I grab the box of Frosted Flakes.

“Yeah, I don't feel like cooking.”

“Want to go grab a bite? My treat.”

I scrunched up my face. “When you say bite, you mean actual human food, right?”

He laughed at that “Come on, darling” he said, then he grabbed my hand and led me to the front door.

I grabbed my jacket and purse and we head out. It was still dark, not quite daybreak and the sky was threatening rain. We got in my truck. Daniel offered to drive and I let him.

“Where do you live? If you don't mind my asking.” I asked after we turned off of my street.

“Down past Lockland Drive,” he pointed behind him.

I was surprised. “The old Miller farm?”

“Yup. That's it.”

The Miller farm wasn't too far from my house, on the other side of the woods actually. It had been abandoned for about seven years. I heard someone had bought it a while back but didn't know anyone was staying there.

“I have been having it renovated. You should see it. Have you ever been over there?”

“Yeah, when I was growing up we went there a lot. Mr. Miller used to let us help out with the animals.” I had fond memories of the place.

Daniel frowned. “You've been living here that long?”

“Born and breed. It was my grandparents house before it was my parents. They moved in after they married.”

“So why does your aunt stay here instead of one of them?” I didn't remember having told him about my aunt. “They haven't passed on, have they?”

“Oh no,” I said “Nothing like that. They got divorced and moved away is all. My aunt took the house.” “Why didn't you leave with one of them?”

“This is my home.” He smiled at that, but didn't ask anymore.

We arrived at a 24 hour diner and Daniel got out and opened the door for me offering his arm, which I gladly took. We ordered and our food came soon after. We ate in silence mostly. After we left out and get in the car I give Daniel directions to my job and ask how he's going to get home.

“I have my ways.” he told me.

It was ten til six when we pulled into the parking garage across from my job. The rain began to trickle making a soothing pitter-patter sound. Daniel got out and opened my door again like before. With umbrella in hand he walked me to the main entrance.

“This is where we part.” he said in a low sexy voice letting go of the hand I hadn't noticed he'd been holding.

“Yes it is.”

He leaned in. I was thinking he was going to kiss me on the cheek when his lips instead found mine. I was surprised but oddly pleased. His lips were soft, cool and he applied a little pressure to the kiss. His hands cupped my face with one hand and I placed mine on his waist. He made a low growl as I pulled him closer.

But it was over all too soon. He smiled as he pulled away. My breathing was a bit unsteady.

“I'll see you tonight. But if I don't make it over be safe, will you.”

“I told you not to worry about me. I'll be fine.” I assured him.

Our foreheads were touching now. I closed my eyes briefly and sighed. Despite the lack of sun he slipped on his aviators.

“If you say so.” he chucked. “Bye, darling.”

I rolled my eyes at the nickname. “Bye, Daniel.”

I walked to the front doors of the hotel and let the umbrella down. I turned back to see him but he was already gone.

God I hate when he does that.