Status: Completed

The Calling (A Zak Bagans Story)

Chapter One- The Usual

Shiloh’s POV
“Next time on Ghost Adventures we will be traveling to the famous well known hotel that inspired our very own Stephen King to write The Shining. This hotel has some dark secrets and negative energies. Due to the constant active paranormal activity this hotel is no longer vacant. So get ready to join us on our Ghost Adventures.”

“And…cut!” I stood up from the camera, “Good job Zak.”

“Thanks.” He said and walked towards Aaron and Nick.

I’ve been working with the guys for a couple of months now. Nick has been teaching me how to use their equipment. I’ll be joining the crew for the new season four. You see travel channel producer wanted the show to get more ratings for the show. He felt like a girl was a more suitable choice. This is why I am here I entered my application and got an answer within two weeks. The producer Rick told me that I seemed brave and that I reminded him of Zak because I also liked provoking ghost.

I heard Zak laugh and from the corner of my eye I noticed him playing around with Nick. I just sighed and continued putting my camera away. Honestly I feel uncomfortable being here with the guys because they don’t acknowledge my existence. I grabbed my black messenger bag and tossed it over my shoulder. With my left hand I grabbed my camera case and walked over to the guys.

“So when are we going back to the hotel?” I asked nervously.

Nick turned around and smiled, “We weren’t going to go back quite yet.”

“Oh I see.”

“We were thinking about going to get a bite to eat.” Aaron added in while punching Zak in the arm.

I stood there for a while not knowing what to say, “Well then I guess I can stay here and look over the footage we recorded today.”

Zak snickered, “Aaron tried to hint you that he was inviting you.”

I was shocked by how he said it but Aaron quickly spoke up to avoid it.

“Yeah I was because you are our newest member and we don’t know you as well so we can use this time to get to know you.”

At least Aaron and Nick were nice to me, “Well then yes I would love to join you guys.”

“Great! Lets go.” Zak said with what sounded like sarcasm in his voice.

Now I regret agreeing to come along, “Yeah lets go.”

The guys and I walked out and got into Aaron’s car.

“I hate when they put too much ketchup on my burger and then the bun get’s to soggy.” Zak said with annoyance in his voice.

I was sitting across from Nick and Aaron was sitting next to me. I just stared at my fries and diet coke. Zak has been in a bad mood since we got there.

“Dude since when did you care about too much ketchup?” Aaron asked with a mouthful of fries, “You love Goodie’s Burgers.”

“I don’t know just forget that I said anything.”

“Hey man what’s wrong with you?” Nick asked Zak.

I kept looking down at my food and I can feel Zak staring at me.

“Nothing just leave me alone and quite asking me.” Zak slammed his fist on the table which made me jump.

“Dude you are being uncool.” Aaron whispered to Zak.

I looked up at Zak and he looked at me and our eyes met and his green eyes were filled with anger. I had a feeling it was my fault so I quickly gathered my things and stood up and walked out of the restaurant.

Zak’s POV

Shiloh quickly got off her seat and walked out. I turned to Nick and Aaron and they both had the expression of disappointment. It wasn’t my fault that she chose to leave but the guys were shaking their heads in disapproval.

“Zak you went too far,” Aaron said as he was placing his burger on the wrapper, “she can tell you don’t like her.”

“You can’t let her walk its cold and the walk is an hour long.” Nick said as he was wrapping his sandwich.

“It’s not that I don’t like her…it’s just that…come on don’t you guys feel weird that she is joining us. “ I said defensively.

“Zak come on man you are being ridiculous. You didn’t get a chance to talk to her, you don’t even know her. She must feel hurt and uncomfortable because I’m sure she is convinced that you don’t like her.” Nick said with his arms crossed on his chest.

“Yeah and so what if we have a new member we get a chance to meet a girl and she is very pretty. Just go and talk to her.” Aaron said trying to persuade me.

I sighed angrily, “Fine let’s go and find her.”

Aaron and Nick looked at each other and nodded.

“We think you should go by yourself.” Aaron said as he tossed me his keys, “We will get a ride from Rick.”

“Fine.” I grabbed the leftovers and my sweater.

“Oh and Zak.” Aaron stopped me.

“Yeah?”

“Don’t screw up my car.”

“Aaron shut up I’ll see you guys later.”

I was driving for about twenty minutes searching for her. Right about when I was going to give up I saw her fragile body crossing the street. She wrapped her arms around her waist and had her hood up. Her long black hair was a dark curtain that kept me from seeing her face.

I pulled up next to her and rolled down the window, “Hey Shiloh get in.”

She stopped and looked at the car and I noticed she has been crying. She just stood there looking at her shoes saying nothing.

“Are you getting in or what?”

“What did I do to you for treating me the way you do?” She asked me and put her hands in her pockets.

“Look I know I have been an ass to you and I’m sorry. If you want I will take you out to get coffee.”

“No thank you.” She kept walking.

I drove forward, “Please can I make it up to you?” I was practically begging.

“What happens if I go with you?”

I smiled, “We can talk and get to know each other.”

She stared at me for a while and finally walked to the passenger’s side and got in. She put her seatbelt on, “I like Starbucks.”

I put the car on drive, “Alright then Starbucks it is.”

Shiloh’s POV

I stared down at my hands which were holding a venti white chocolate mocha. I would look at Zak and he was drinking his venti java chip. The coffee shop wasn’t busy at all but like a typical Starbucks there was always a guy on his laptop in the corner.

“So why were you acting the way you were?” I asked Zak who was playing with the lid of his drink.

“I guess because I feel like Ghost Adventures isn’t going to be the same anymore. I liked it when it was just me and my friends. Now with someone new I’m scared things will change.”

I could tell he felt ashamed for feeling the way he did.

“I understand why you would feel the way you do,” I stared down at my hands, but I’m not here to replace you. I guess I can just drop out of the show an…-“

“No!” He shouted, “You can’t do that. I’ll get better at it I promise. Don’t get me wrong I’m not sexist or anything I think it’s admirable for a girl to do what you do.”

I felt my cheeks get pink,”Well ghost hunting is my calling.”

“Yeah,” he laughed,” We should get going,” he stood up, “Are you done?”

“Oh yeah.”

He grabbed my cup and threw it away.

“Thanks.” I said and as I stood up we accidentally bumped arms and it sent me chills up my spine.

We walked out of Starbucks and made our way towards the car. He reached to the passenger door before me and held the door open for me. I smiled at him and thanked him. He then got in the driver’s side.

“Ready?” He asked while putting the keys in the ignition.

I just smiled and along came a click form my seatbelt.

I was watching the tress rush by and still felt a little uncomfortable with Zak. I looked at him from the corner of my eye and he was just focusing on his driving.

“So what did you see that got interested in ghost hunting?” I asked him and turned towards him.

He looked surprised at my sudden curiosity, “What makes you believe I had to witness a ghost to start Ghost Adventures?”

I laughed at that question, “Well you say it in every episode in your intro.”

“So you watched the show?” He asked.

“Yeah I never missed one episode. I have to admit I’m a fan.”

“Which episode was your favorite?” He asked with one eyebrow raised.

“I have to say Bobby’s music world.” I blushed knowing that I liked that episode simply because he took his shirt off, “It was insane how you got those three long scratches on your back.”

“Interesting, that was a thrilling experience to catch on film.” His face hardens as he thinks back at the time.

“Um Zak are you okay?”

“Huh? Oh yeah it just gets me so upset that the demonic entity harmed me in such a way and I did nothing to stop it.” His knuckles were turning white from gripping the steering wheel so tight.

I stared at his hands and they were slowly getting their color back, “It wasn’t your fault and there wasn’t much you could have done. It was a very powerful energy.” I placed my hand on top of his and caressed it with my thumb. He looked at me and I realized what I did and blushed, “I’m sorry,” I put my hand on my lap, “I didn’t realize what I was doing.”

He just looked at his hand and stayed quiet.

Great I probably ruined my chance for friendship.

“Why did you decide to join the paranormal investigators?”

“Oh yeah well I don’t like talking about it.” I pulled down my sleeve.

He noticed and we finally reached the parking lot of the hotel and parked the car. He took off his seatbelt and turned to face me, “What are you hiding?” He asked and grabbed my wrist and lifted up my sleeve, “What’s this?”

When he lifted my sleeve it revealed hundreds of thick pink scars from my elbow to my wrist. I pulled away from his grip and gave him a dirty look.

“Why did you do that?” I grabbed my bag and opened the door, “I told you that I didn’t want to talk about it! So please don’t touch me again!” I slammed the car door and stormed into the hotel.

I can hear Zak running after me so I started running towards the elevator and was pushing the elevator button up. He walked in through the doors searching for me but the elevator doors opened and I slithered inside. He spot me and tried to reach me but the doors closed and I slid to the floor and buried my face in my hands. Why did he have to see? I didn’t want him to see my disgusting marks. These scars are in my past now and they are going to stay there. My body started to rock back and forth to calm me down. The elevator doors opened on the twelfth floor and there stood an out of breath Zak.

“I’m…sorry…” he took a deep breath and his breathing got under controlled, “I just thought since you pulled down your sleeve…I was just worried.”

I looked at him in amazement, “I didn’t hurt myself or there is nothing to worry about.” I stood up off the ground and walked out of the elevator.

“Then what’s with the scars?”

I kept walking down the hall with Zak beside me, “Something happened when I was seventeen.”

He stopped walking, “What happened? Who hurt you?” He placed his hands on my shoulders.

“All I’m going to say is…it was a traumatic experience and not I want answers. So this is why I’m learning to investigate in the paranormal.” I revealed all my scars to him which included both of my arms.

He looked at them and traced the scar that stood out the most with his finger tip, “So what are you trying to tell me is this was done by a ghost?”

I pulled my arms away and pulled down my sleeves, “Yeah something like that.” I opened the door with my hotel key and walked in.

Aaron and Nick were sitting on the couch watching television. I waved hello to the guys and faced Zak who was hanging his sweater by the door.

“I’m going to go bed.” I shook his hand and walked into my room.

Thank god for doors I pulled my bag over my head and set it down on my bed. Since the guys have a new crew member who happens to be the opposite sex it was mandatory to find a hotel that had apartments then rooms. I took off my shirt and stared down at my arms staring at my marks which were caused by a demon. I still felt Zak’s warmth that was left by his finger tip and that one scar that caught Zak’s attention…was created by me.