Status: Completed

The Calling (A Zak Bagans Story)

Chapter Five- The Cross

Shiloh’s POV
“Hey Shiloh can you grab the static night vision cameras?” Zak asked me while looking at the clipboard checking things off the list.
“Yeah sure.” I walked over to the black case in the back of the van and opened it.
There were six cameras and I started checking the batteries. I felt a hand on my left shoulder and I quickly turned around which got me to facing Nick.
“I’m sorry.”
I knew exactly what he meant, “Forget about it, okay? It wasn’t your fault.”
“Yes it is I was weak and I allowed it to control me.”
“Nick I forgive you and here,” I took off my necklace which held a gold cross, “my father gave it to the day I got out of the hospital. It was supposed to supply me with protection and I usually don’t wear but today I felt like I needed it or someone else needed it.” I clipped it around his neck, “I guess it was meant for you.”
He held the cross in his hand, “Thank you. What about you?”
“My life was already chosen for me. I was destined to walk into that church and have those things happen to me. If you think about it, if I didn’t I would have never met you guys.” I sadly told Nick.
Nick looked at me and embraced me in a big hug, “I wish I can do something to help.”
“There isn’t much to do to help me except for me to keep running.”
As soon as I said that I realized something there is absolutely nothing I can do. If I run he will run after me, if I hide he will find me, and if I stay here he will kill my friends. He will kill Zak who I truly fallen in love with and Aaron has become my best friend who I can count on. Nick though, has been my true friend in all this because he could’ve told Zak that Nick got possessed and convinced the group to get rid of me. But he didn’t instead he had stuck by my side and I appreciate everything he has done for me. So now I know what has to be done.
“Nick grab the rest of the equipment and come over here.” Zak called out.
“See you in a bit.” Nick said and squeezed my shoulder lightly and walked off.”
Zak’s POV
My eyes kept drifting towards Shiloh and all I wanted to do was to be near her. I wish I can hold her and protect her. We have an hour before we do our lockdown and who knows what will happen tonight. Nick was standing next to me and I saw something dangling from his neck.
I looked closely and it was a gold cross, “Where did you get that from?”
Nick grabbed the necklace and tucked it in his shirt, “Shiloh let me borrow it for protection.”
I couldn’t help but laugh, “Since when do you feel like you need protection. You’re a hunter who hunts ghost this stuff never bothered you before.”
He looked at me like if I was an idiot, “Do you remember what we are going through here? Shiloh might be killed tonight or sometime in the future because there is a demon that is out to get her.”
I was surprised how Nick answered me, “Yeah I do realize that and that’s why we are going to keep her safe. I’m not an idiot okay.”
Nick just rolled his eyes and started carrying all the stuff to the doors and I just walked away from him. I saw Aaron by the van but no sign of Shiloh.
“Um Aaron where is Shiloh?”
“She went to walk around the building just check some things out.” He told me and went back to doing whatever he was doing.
I walked away from him and went to look for Shiloh. I have to tell her how I feel because Nick might be right I have this uneasy feeling that something might happen tonight and what if we do lose her. No, I can’t be thinking like that I need to do whatever I can to protect her. I have never felt so close to anyone before. She was smart, beautiful, and the bravest person I have ever met and I….love her. I kept walking and finally spotted her by two big oak trees.
“Are you okay?”
She jumped once she heard my voice and smiled, “Oh yeah I’m fine just thinking.”
“About?” I asked while standing next to her.
“Just about things like my life, my future, and what’s going to happen.” She said as she wiped her tears.
I felt bad when I realized she was crying, “Come here,” I said and I took her in my arms and just held her, “Nothing is going to happen to you.”
She wrapped her arms around my waist and looked up at me, “How do you know?”
I stared down at her beautiful face and placed my hand on her cheek. She pressed her face up against my hand and I smiled, “Because I will make sure nothing will happen to you. I really care about you Shiloh. I have never felt like this with anyone else.”
She smiled up at me, “I feel the same way.”
I was getting this feeling in my chest and it was a warm sensation that traveled up and down. Her lips were so beautiful her skin was so soft and I began to lean in and to my surprise she did the same. Our noses were lightly touching and I couldn’t believe what was happening and then I felt our lips connect. I inhaled her scent and I didn’t want to pull away. My hands were on her lower back and she had her hands on the back of my neck. Our kiss wasn’t rough but soft and passionate and I didn’t want it to end. We pulled away and I just looked at her. Our noses were still touching and I was caressing her cheek.
“I promise I will always protect you.” I whispered to her.
She stayed silent and buried her face in my chest and I stroked her long black hair and we stayed like that for a while.
Nick’s POV
“So we are walking into Pennhurst School were the mentally insane were put and locked away. We are going to walk around all night long so we can gather proof that this place is haunted.” Zak said while speaking into the camera that Aaron was holding.
I kept filming the long hallways hoping to capture something and I was looking at all my team mates. Zak was ahead of all of us and Aaron was a bit ahead of me and Shiloh was walking closely behind me.
“You okay back there?” I asked her.
“Oh yeah, just peachy just waiting for some dead spirits to pop up and say hi.” She said.
I laughed, “Yeah just wait till it gets later.”
“Great.” She said and walked up next to Zak.
I kept following close behind them and I started to feel angry like I wanted to hurt someone and I heard him again.
“It’s time Nick…Let’s get the job done.”
I tried ignoring him and tried to block him out but he kept trying to get in my head.
Aaron looked at me, “Are you okay?”
I rubbed my temple, “Yeah I’m fine.”
“This is a reason why you are not telling them. You know you also want them gone. Imagine with them gone you can be a lucky survivor and you will receive all the fame you want…doesn’t that sound perfect.”
“Just leave me alone.” I hissed through my teeth.
I looked back at everyone and they were gone.
“Guys?” I called out but no answer.
I started walking fast down the hallway in hope that I would catch up to them.
“You’re all alone Nick….no one to help you.”
I dropped the camera and wrapped my hands around the cross and backed away from where I heard his voice. Please just leave me alone.
He laughed, “Please leave me alone.” He mocked me.
“LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE!”
I screamed and started running and I kept running. I wasn’t going to allow myself to get possessed anymore he needs me in order to kill everyone and that wasn’t going to happen.
“ZAK! AARON! YOU GUYS WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?!”
I continued running with my hands stretched in front and I found myself falling. I tripped over something and fell face first on the floor. My head was spinning and could barely keep my eyes open. I reached up to grab the necklace and I couldn’t feel it on my neck anymore.
“You really think that piece of tin could keep me away?”
I felt him enter my body and an electric shock raced up and down my veins and I was filled with all emotions. My head started clouding up and I knew he won there is nothing I could do. The last thought that went through my mind was how sorry I am for letting my friends.
“I got you.”
“I’m…sorry…Shiloh.” I managed to slip out.
Then everything went black and I was lost forever.

Shiloh’s POV
“Hey where is Nick?” I asked and Zak and Aaron turned around.
“He was right behind me.” Aaron said.
“Well it’s obvious that he is not.” Zak said, “NICK?!”
That’s when I knew he was here, he came for Nick and for all I know he might have captured him by now. I couldn’t just stand here without trying to save my friend.
“Alright we are going to split up and look for him.” I said as I started to reach for my flashlight.
“What are you insane?” Aaron asked me.
“Trust me it will go by faster if we all split up and look for him. He can be in danger.” I said trying to persuade the guys to allow us to go our own ways.
Zak looked at me and nodded, “Okay we will do what Shiloh says but once one of us finds Nick we are going to meet up at the base. Keep your walkie talkies close by you and check in once and a while got it?”
Aaron and I nodded.
“Aaron you search basement, Shiloh you stay on this floor, and I will go upstairs.” Zak said.
Aaron began to take the stairs down and Zak did the same but going up. I watched him as he climb the stairs and I knew what was going to happen tonight and this might be the last chance I see him. So I went after him and grabbed his arm and turned him around, pulled him towards me, and kissed him. He was surprised at first but he kissed me back.
“Promise me that you won’t let anything happen to you.” I said while I was still holding his arm.
He smiled and kissed my forehead, “That is something I should be telling you.”
He kissed me one last time and then disappeared up the stairs.
“I love you.” I said in a low whisper wishing that he heard me.
I walked into the darkness in search for Nick. Scared not knowing what really was to come tonight. I kept walking for endless of hours calling out to Nick and in the far distance I can hear Aaron and Zak doing the same. I walked around a corner with my finger tips brushing along the dark cold wall. I quickly froze when I heard a noise behind me. I didn’t know if I should run what if it was Nick. Before I could turn around to investigate I felt something collide with the back of my head and I fell into instant darkness.