Status: Completed

The Calling (A Zak Bagans Story)

Chapter Four- Uncertain

Shiloh POV

“Maybe we shouldn’t leave tomorrow.” I said while taking care of Nick.

“We can’t stay here.” Zak said while pacing back and forth.

“Yeah we never missed an investigation.” Aaron added in.

“But look at Nick you seriously aren’t telling me we are still shooting when Nick is sick.” I wiped Nick’s forehead with a small wet towel.

“He at least owes me after cleaning up his puke.” Zak said with a disgusted face.

I just sighed, “Fine but at least we need to let him rest and one of us should stay with him for the night.”

“I will.” Aaron volunteered.

“Alright well then I’m going to bed and Aaron please take good care of him.” I said and got up off the floor beside his bed and walked out of the room.

I was about to open my bedroom door when I heard Zak’s voice.

“Do you want someone to stay with you?” He asked me with his hands in his pockets.

“Well you already stayed last night and I don’t want you to sleep on the floor again. Since we are leaving tomorrow morning you need a good night sleep.”

He stared at his shoes, “But…how do I protect you if I’m not by your side?”

I blushed, “Zak…the reason you want to protect me…is it because how you treated me in the beginning?”

He stayed silent for a while and nodded his head yes.

“Oh…” I admit I was disappointed.

He noticed my response, “What is it a bad thing?”

“Oh no!” I felt embarrassed, “I just thought that maybe…”

“I would protect you because I have feelings for you?” He asked me from looking under his dark lashes.

The look he gave me literally took my breath away, “Umm…no…well I don’t know…”

He smiled and walked in front of me, “It’s okay you don’t have to feel embarrassed.”

I could feel my cheeks slowly turn pink, “No I’m not it’s just…forget it…it’s stupid.”

He laughed and caressed my cheek with his thumb and stared directly into my eyes and I couldn’t help but look at his. But I didn’t notice affection I saw something else. I saw pain, worry, and guilt. He kept getting close and the tips of our noses were slightly touching.

“Do you mind if I kiss you?”

I was completely taken off guard by his question but deep down inside I also knew it was coming, “What happens if I say yes?” I asked while my back was pressed up against my door.

“Well I don’t know but we shall find out.”

His lips were so close to mine I could feel his warm breath against my lips. His eyes started closing while his lips parted a little and I did something I wish I hadn’t done.

I pushed him back and he looked shocked, “I’m sorry it’s just I don’t know if this is the right time. Believe me I want to kiss you but I don’t know if you want to for the same reasons that I do?”

He looked at me, “What reasons?”

“I looked into your eyes and I didn’t see affection all I saw was guilt.”

“So when my eyes look cheery, then it’s okay?” He asked with irritation.

“Don’t say it like that Zak it’s just I don’t want you to protect me or kiss me because you feel guilty.”

His mouth opened about to protest but soon shut again and he stood there without saying anything. I couldn’t help myself I wrapped my arms around his waist and just hugged him. I felt his body loosen up and his arms found their way around me.

“Zak I want our first kiss to be special and to mean something to the both of us.” I pulled away from his embrace and looked up into his face.

“Yes I understand but I want you to know that I really like you and I wish you can understand that,” He looked down at me and rested his hand on my face and I leaned into his hand, “goodnight Shiloh be safe and here,” He handed me a small bottle of holy water, “It was given to me for protection I want you to have it.”

“Thanks and goodnight Zak.” I smiled and slipped into my room.

I woke up from a bad dream and I quickly rose from my bed and quickly made my way to Zak’s room. I opened the door and peeked inside. Zak was sleeping peacefully and I felt more relaxed. Nick’s bedroom light illuminated from under his door and I knocked.

“Come in.” Aaron said in a sleepy tone.

I stepped inside and Nick was still sleeping and Aaron was sitting on the chair watching television.

“What time is it?” Aaron asked me.

I replied, “Three in the morning.”

“Oh wow.” He said as he rubbed his eyes.

I felt bad, “Aaron I’ll take over for now you go ahead and get some sleep.”

He glanced over at me, “You sure?”

“Yeah I had enough sleep and also my dreams haven’t been so nice to me.”

“You want to talk about it?” He asked me as he raised himself up off his chair.

“No it’s nothing big.” I gave him a smile.

“Okay. He still hasn’t woken up. I’m worried so please if he does…just make sure he is okay.”

I nodded and Aaron gave me a hug and walked out. My eyes drifted towards Nick and he was sleeping so I turned the television on and flipped through channels. The sun began to rise and I haven’t slept since I woken up. My eyes burned and ached so I slowly stood up and walked to Nick’s bathroom to wash my face. My head looked up and I stared at my reflection and started to really look at myself. I was still the same girl who was put in the hospital same long black hair, blue eyes, pale face, except my eyes seemed empty. In the bottom left corner of the mirror I could see Nick still sleeping and in an unexpected moment Nick sat up screaming.

I ran by his side, “Nick what’s wrong are you ok? Don’t worry it’s just a dream.”

He was sitting, breathing heavily, sweat droplets forming onto his forehead. He looked up at me, “I need help.”

I glanced at his face and he looked terrified, “What’s wrong? What do you need help with?”

His hands were trembling at his sides, “It’s trying to get me to kill you, to kill everyone.”

Every muscle in my body tensed, “What?” I asked in disbelief.

He looked up at me with formidable eyes.

“What do you mean he is trying to get you?” I placed my hands on his shoulders.

His head quickly snapped up towards my face, “Get away!”

I was shocked by how his voice miraculously changed, “Nick you’re not acting like yourself.”

He snatched my wrist and pulled me close to his face, “Get out!”

This voice sounded so hostel and his fingers slowly began tightening around my delicate wrist and in the process he began to hurt me.

“Nick let go you are really hurting me.” I tried pulling away from his grasp.

His eyes were longer a soft brown but a menacing piercing black. His lips were twitching into an evil grin, “Nick is no longer with us,” He caressed my cheek, “Such a pretty, pretty girl.”

His voice slithered into my ears causing me to shudder in fear. Then I found myself on the floor with Nick squeezing my neck with a deadly grip. I was struggling underneath him trying to fight him off.

“Nick stop this isn’t you. Fight him!”

It laughed in approval, “But it’s too late now I completely devoured him. He isn’t coming back.”

“No…you’re lying.” I tried to speak out but my attempt was soon failing.

He kept smiling and I felt myself slipping. That’s when I remembered the holy water in my pocket. My fingers were reaching for the bottle and finally felt it. With my finger and my thumb I twisted the top off and poured it down Nick’s throat. His reaction was he got off me instantly and started to cough, I stared at him with bewildered eyes and I could see his eyes changing rapidly from brown to black, brown to black. I knew Nick was fighting.

“Nick fight it don’t let yourself be controlled.”

“I can’t.” His voice came in a sudden whisper.

I crawled towards him feeling tears ready to fall and I held him, “Yes you can I’m here for you.”

He was trembling, “Shiloh help me stay with me.”

That’s when the tears were released in a sudden rush, racing. I couldn’t believe I brought this onto my friends, “You listen to me you piece of worthless crap,” I found myself saying, “You can’t have Nick or my other friends. You leave them alone and I swear on my life if you hurt them I will personally send you back to hell.”

Nick’s hand landed on top of mine, “He’s gone.”

I felt a sudden of relief and peace, “I’m sorry Nick.”

He sat up, “No I am.”

Aaron’s POV

I heard Shiloh yawn and I turned towards her, “Well hello there did you get enough sleep?”

She rubbed her eyes, “Yeah I guess.”

I noticed her eyes drift towards Nick and Zak who were sleeping towards the back, “What’s wrong?”

She said and looked outside her window, “Nothing.”

I’ve been noticing that things have changed between all of us. Everyone has grown distant and we don’t talk as much as we use to. I cleared my throat to get some kind of reaction. It didn’t work.

“Aaron.”

I heard Shiloh say under her breath, “What’s up?”

“Do you guys regret having a new crew member? Especially when that crew member is me?” She turned and looked at me with tears in her eyes.

Her question surprised me, “No of course not. Why would we?”

“I’m sorry for what I brought onto you guys. I just thought it left me alone.” She said as she was playing with her fingers.

My eyes stayed slued to the road, “Look Shiloh we don’t hate you because what you went through. Yes we were all shocked on what we witnessed two days ago but it’s our job to find ghosts or demons.” I looked at her and she was looking down at her hands, “Look I like you. I think you are a very awesome chick and I see you as my friend now whether you like it or not.”

She smiled, “Thanks you are pretty cool to.”

“So how are things with you and Zak?” I asked her and I saw that she blushed.

“Oh umm they are getting better.”

“I noticed.” I laughed and she did to.

“Shiloh can I be honest with you?”

She looked at me for a while and nodded her head yes.

“I’ve been noticing things changing like Nick for example.”

She asked nervously, “What about Nick?”

“The way he got sick last night and he kept screaming for me and Zak and he also has been lacking sleep.”

She sighed, “Aaron I have to tell you something.”

“What is it?”

“When we switched turns to take care of Nick…something happened.” She said unable to look at me.

“What is it that you’re not telling me?”

“He got possessed Aaron.”

My mouth flung open, “What do you mean he got possessed?”

“It possessed him to get to me.” She slightly started crying.

My head was spinning, “Does Zak know?”

Her head quickly snapped towards me, “No I think it is wise for him not to know. Not yet.”

She stared at me with pleading eyes.

“Fine but the next time if he shows signs we have to do something and tell Zak.”

“Tell me what?” Zak asked in a sleepy voice.

“Nothing!” We both said in unison.

He looked at both of us, “Ok whatever.”

Zak soon went back to sleep and Shiloh and I sat in companionable silence. But what I’m I going to do about our situation.