Status: Hey there, this is my favorite story

Lisbeth

Clean

Ronnie drove me home from the hospital. I had been declared ready to go, but I had to be careful. I had a Level 2 concussion and 11 staples for the cut in my head. I was still bandaged, so I looked like a freak. Ronnie dropped me off in front of my house with a, “Take care, kid.”

I thanked him again and went inside. Destery was on my couch, fast asleep. His hair had dried weird, so it was all spiky and in his face. He still hadn’t put a shirt on, and his skin was very pale against my couch. I couldn’t resist it, so I grabbed my camera and snapped a few pictures. Beautiful.
I could easily imagine Destery as some artist’s muse. He was just so...natural, vibrant. He couldn’t be ignored. I was smiling until I saw his feet. They were filthy and cut up, still smeared with his blood. “Destery. Wake up.”

He jumped and opened his eyes, then smiled at me. “How are you feeling?” “I’m fine. But we need to clean your feet.” He looked down like he’d just noticed it and nodded. “Yeah, probably.” Even though I was still dazed and foggy, I led him to the bathroom, where he sat on the edge of the tub.
“I’m just gonna clean your feet, kay? Can I touch you?” Destery tilted his head and smirked. “I’m comfortable now. You can touch me whenever.” His words made something warm run through me, and I smiled. “Kay.”

The cloth was red by the time I finished his feet, but he was clean. I looked up and Destery met my eyes, holding them for just a second longer than he usually would. Then he leaned over and kissed my forehead. I could feel his lips even through the bandage. “Thanks, Lisbeth.” He got up and limped from the bathroom.