Get up Whenever You Fall

Nikolina

A red light flashes above my seat signaling that the stewardess is about to speak. I pull my earphones out and pause the song that is playing on my iPod.

"Dear passengers, we are about to land in Sydney in Kingsford-Smith Airport. We hope you had a good flight. Thank you for flying with Qantas Airways, have a nice stay in sunny Australia." A high pitched and overly cheery voice comes through the speakers.

We're really going to land. We are really here. I tap my foot nervously on the floor. My thoughts are as far away from Croatia and everything I had there as I am. 9940 miles. But I still can't help but feel excited.

About twenty minutes later, we leave the rent-a-car office and head to the parking lot. When we reach the rented car, we stuff our luggage into the truck and got in. Dad driving, mum sitting shotgun, and me and the back.

As soon as I sit down, I turn my iPod back on and put the earphones in. My parents are used to me not participating in car conversations and instead listening to music and taking pictures of the nature through the window. Dad starts the car and gets on the main road.

The nature around us is captivating. On the left there are hundreds of palm trees and green plants that are swaying in the light morning wind. And on the right is the dark, blue ocean. I've loved the water since I was little, so I'm really glad that we're moving to a town that is also on the beach. The sun is hitting me in the face but I don't mind. It just makes me feel even freer.

It feels so good being away from all that I ever hated or ever made me sad. To know I have an opportunity to start over, far away from that people, the prison I called school for 4 years, the demons I called teacher that only focused on preaching me how I will get nowhere by being myself. I have a new life here, in Sydney, and I never felt happier.

I slightly open the window and the warm breeze hits me. I lean my head on the headrest, and I close my eyes. The jet lag comes a bit too early or is it the 9 hour difference between Sydney and Split? I drift to sleep anyways.

* * * *


It's been five days since we moved into our new house. But it isn't as glamorous as it looks from the outside, and I was glad. I still am not used to it though. It is so big and I still didn't remember which room is which except mine. Huge windows, modern, grey and purple walls. Dream room.

I finish unpacking a few hours ago and now I'm putting up things on the wall. In all honesty, I am just trying to find things to do because I'm bored out of my mind. I know coming here just when the summer started isn't a good idea, but my parents need to start working right away. My dad's new boss found my mum a new job here, too, so she is working all day, too. I am completely on my own. My friends from back home are probably still sleeping now and I don't know anyone here.

I sigh and look around my new room. There is absolutely nothing to do. I never had a Saturday like this, and it's only 11am. I get to one of my big bedroom windows and look at the 'outside world' and then back at my room and a mischievous smile appears on my face.

I run to my closet and quickly grab some clothes, pull my hair in a messy pony tail and put a bandana on. I grab my phone from the black nightstand and run down the stairs. I search for the house keys and find them on the little table by the door. I roll my eyes at my own stupidity.

I leave the house, lock it and stroll down the driveway. Which way to go? Right or left? What did mum say about the way to the city? Left? Yea, I think she said left. I turn to the left and walk happily down the road. I start humming the tune of 'Hey There Delilah' while observing every little detail around me.

I see a few skyscrapers in the near distance, but the road doesn't seem to lead there. I shrug my pessimistic thought of getting lost and continue walking. It seems that I have come near the beach. I can smell the salt in the air and I remember that mum said the beach is not even 10 minutes away by foot but that skyscrapers don't seem any closer.

Fuck. I can't be lost, can I? I look around me. I'm not in a residential area anymore. Actually it looks like there are absolutely no houses here but one. I hear voices and faint sounds of something like wood hitting a solid surface. I should probably go ask for directions or something. What if those people are rapists? I should seriously stop with the bad thoughts.

When I near the house, I realize the sounds are not coming from the house or in front of it but in the inside of what seems to be a huge, fenced skateboarding park. And when I say huge, I really mean huge. I get closer and lean on the tall fence. The park has at least 10 of those ramp things, two pipes, loads more of those stunt props. In the centre of it there's an elevated area that has something like an office/storage on it. The doors are open and I get on my tip toes and try to see what's inside.

I see a few BMX bikes, in all colours, and that seem like pro bikes, skateboards, parts for both of those, first aid kits- "Can I help you?" A male, deep voice with a thick Australian accent asks behind me. I jump in surprise and turn around. A tall, tanned man in his, I would guess, late thirties stand in front of me with his arms crossed on his chest.

I smile innocently as if I'm a kid that just got caught with a hand in the cookie jar. "I, umm...I.." I trail, not knowing what to say.

"You are trespassing." He points to a yellow sign (a meter to my left) that says 'Private. Do not trespass.' in bold, black letters.

I made an 'Oops' face. "I-I didn't realize. I got lost and I-I.."

"You're not from here." It comes out more like a statement than a question. I shake my head no. "What gave me away?" I ask innocently.

He chuckles. "No accent and a look that says ‘I have no clue where I am’ And the fact you just said it." I giggle at myself.

"How did you get lost?"

"I went for a walk, and I meant to go to the city but.." I shrug.
He chuckles and shakes his head. "New to the town, huh?" I nod. "Where are you from?"
"Croatia." He smiles. "Really? What town?"
"Split." His smile widens. "My grandparents are from there, they moved here when they got married."

"Wow, really?" He nods. "You know Croatian?" I ask.
"Just a little bit, but I would rather not show you. I'm not that good." I laugh.
"So what are you doing in Australia then, Croatian girl?" I roll my eyes at his nickname.
"My parents got new jobs." I simply state.
"And how did that get you here?" He points at the ground in front of my feet.
"Well, they needed to move right away, the jobs couldn't wait over the summer, and my brother stayed back in Croatia, so I'm alone. I don't know anyone here and I got a random idea to give myself a little tour around town. And that's how I got here." I point at the same spot he did.

He laughs. "So what are you going to do all summer?"
I shrug. "I have no idea." For whole three months I will have nothing to freaking do."
"How old are you?" I look at him oddly but still answer. "18."
"So you graduated?" I nod. "Which school? I know Croatia has high schools that teach certain professions, right? Like medicine, economy etc."
"Yep. I have a degree in nursing, actually." My information seems to intrigue him.
"Well I have an idea. How about I give you a thing to do over the summer."

I raise an eyebrow. "Like what?"
"Well, you noticed the skateboarding park behind you. It's mine, actually. And that house over there-" He points at the house I passed a few minutes ago. "is mine. The guys you see in there, don't worry they are not mine but they do work for me in a way." He jokes. "They all make a skateboarding slash BMX team together. I'm their manager and I provide them with a place to train and they wear my brand name. They compete in different competitions around the country. I don't know how much you know about skateboarding and BMX but I'm sure you know in any sport, especially extreme sports, there are injuries." I nod. "Well, since you don't have anything to do over the summer and you have a degree in nursing, how would you like to work here? If the guys injure themselves, you can clean up their wounds, and stuff like that. It's not a tough job but I'll pay you well, promise." He grins.

My mouth drops a bit. This would be a perfect job. I'll do what I love, I'll be in the open—or better said, I won't be home, and I'll kill time and get money for all of that. I nod my head enthusiastically.

"Great! I'm Leo, by the way." He extends his hand.
I gladly take it and shake it. "I'm Nikolina, but everyone calls me Nico."
"Nico it is! Come on, I'll introduce you to the guys." He leads me to the metal door and opens them. "After you."
I smile and get in.
"There are three types of skate parks. This one has all three elements in it. We are standing on the bowl type right now. There's the plaza type and the flow course. And, of course we have the ramps, rails, pipe, half pipe and other shit. The storage is up there." He points at the elevated place in the centre that I tried to spy on.

"I apologize in advance for the guys and their behaviour. Remember, please, that they are guys and they can't help but act like children." I laugh. "Nico, these are: Colton, Derek, Jeff, Adriel, Nate, Travis, Devon, Cam, Kyler, Francis, Matt and Rider." He points at each guy. They are all scattered around the park and they don't even seem to notice us.
The guy closest to us catches my eye. He's doing a trick on a BMX. He lands it perfectly.

"Wow." Leo chuckles at my reaction. The guys see us and come to us. He obviously sees my jaw slightly open in awe and his cheeks turn just a shade of pink.
"I didn't know we had spectators," he says is his deep, accented voice and stretches his hand to me. "Kyler."
I smile and shake his hand. "Nico."

"That was great." I compliment and he flashes me his gorgeous smile, which shows his pearly whites.
"Thanks."
"Kyler, Nico here is going to be our park nurse." Leo jerks me from my little trance.
Kyler looks at him, confused. "You mean like fix our wounds, bones and stuff?"
Leo nods.
"That's awesome!" He turns from us to the park. "Hey guys! Come over here!" He shouts, causing me to flinch. They all make their way towards us and get up the bowl to the flat surface on top. They all look at me like I'm an alien.

"Guys-" Kyler gets their attention. "This is Nico, she's going to be our nurse of a kind. She'll help us with injuries." They nod.
"I'm Francis!" The guy on the far left says and waves at me. I giggle and wave back. He seems like a kid with ADHD. "Nate."
"Devon."
"Matt."
"Travis."
"Adriel."
"Colton."
"Rider."
"Cam."
"Derek."
"Jeff."
They introduce themselves one by one. "I'm Nico." I wave awkwardly and look at Leo for help. He chuckles at me and turns to them.
"Guys, I met Nico here because she got lost. Pure fate." They laugh. "She wanted to get to know the town but didn't even manage to get to it." They all snicker and I glare at him. "Just kidding, Nico. Relax. So guys, I want you to show her around town." He claps his hands. The guys nod and disperse from the little circle we made to leave their boards and bikes.

I stand there, dumbfounded. "Sorry, what?" I blurt out.
"Come on, we'll show you around." The hyper guy, Francis, pulls me by my hand to the gate and Leo just waves to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
yaaaay another one, and it's pretty long!
2200 words :)
hope you like it :)
and, P.S. if I got somethings wrong when I described the park tell me please, I don't mind, I'm new to skating so..
Angie