Albus Potter and the Healing Springs

Chapter 15: Lumos

Flowers were starting to bloom all around the castle. What was once a winter wonderland turned into a spring meadow, just as the new season arrived. 

The three friends continued their research of the Healing Springs in the privacy of the Gryffindor common room. They set themselves at a desk that was meant for studying actual school subjects. However, since it was hardly ever occupied, it became their ideal place to investigate. 

It was a large square desk with a candle in the centre. At the moment, it was scattered with books, ripped pages, and the Marauders Map. Next to them was a portable chalk board which they faced away from the few Gryffindors in the common room. Everyone else was watching the Gryffindor team practice in the Quidditch pitch. 

A few weeks had gone by since Ronnie’s accident, but she wasn’t quick to forget. 

“I think he used a jinx on me,” she claimed. “Are you sure you didn’t see him do anything?” 

“Ronnie, he beat you fair and square,” insisted Alex. “Let’s just focus on this for now.” 

“Well, with the first Quidditch game coming up, I’m a little disappointed, y’know?” 

“It’s okay. There’s always next year,” comforted Albus. “Just look at it as a whole year to practice.” 

“Very true,” agreed Ronnie. “And a year for you guys to learn how to fly well, and try out with me!” 

“Anyways,” started Albus, desperately trying to change the subject. “There are so many different compartments in this map. The Healing Springs has to be here somewhere.” 

“Keep looking, I think I’ve found some more information,” said Alex while he looked through a book Occulta Mysteria. This, among many, was from his home library. 

“Alright, you do that while we check out this map,” Ronnie said.

“Hey, look! There’s the statue,” stated Albus pointing at a room in the map. 

“What statue?” asked Ronnie. 

“Oh, right,” said Albus, remembering that he never told Ronnie and Alex about the statue he found. “It’s just a statue of a Phoenix I saw a while ago.” 

“Look! There’s Lestrange and her pets,” interrupted Ronnie, pointing at the Slytherin common room. “And I’m not just talking about that cat.” 

“I rather we not talk about Bella,” muttered Albus. “Do you see any sources of water around here?” 

“The lake,” listed Ronnie. “All these bathrooms.” 

“The Healing Springs isn’t going to be located in a bathroom,” spat Alex from behind his book.

“Alright, alright,” replied Ronnie. “Just a thought.” 

“Maybe we should go to McGonagall and tell her this could help,” requested Albus. 

“Oh yeah, and say bye to the map forever!” argued Ronnie. “She definitely wouldn’t let you keep it.” 

“Of course! I knew it!” yelled Alex, causing the few Gryffindors to stare. He then continued with a whisper. “Look, here.” 

“Among most undiscovered legends, the Healing Springs remains unknown to the magical community.” read Albus. “Okay, what’s new?” 

“Keep reading!” insisted Alex. 

“However, it is rumored that the Healing Springs was discovered by Aberforth Dumbledore back around 2000. Dumbledore denies any such discovery, but journalist Rita Skeeter insists that she has proof pertaining to these claims.” read Albus. “So someone did find it?” 

“Supposedly that is,” corrected Alex. 

“Who is that guy anyways?” asked Ronnie. She then joked. “Maybe if we asked him he’d tell us. Albus is from a famous family. Maybe he’d want an autograph.” 

“Actually, I doubt he’d want an autograph. Aberforth Dumbledore would already know Albus’ dad,” informed Alex. “He fought during the Second Wizarding War. He’s Albus Dumbledore’s brother.” 

“The headmaster I’m named after,” said Albus.

“Exactly,” stated Alex. “Professor Longbottom told me that the legend was somehow connected to Albus Dumbledore.”

“We know. We overheard you guys talking that day,” Ronnie confessed with a giggle.

“Anyways,” said Alex annoyed. “Ever since then, I had guessed it had to do with Aberforth. If this is all true then Aberforth should know where the Healing Springs are.”

“But he’s denied it. I don’t think we should try to contact him,” urged Albus. 

“How would we anyways?” Ronnie added.

“I haven’t figured it all out yet, but we are getting closer. You’ve got to admit. This is kind of fun, isn’t it?” asked Alex enthusiastically. 

“The next thing we need to do is find out more about Aberforth,” said Ronnie. “You know, to find out if he hasn’t passed away.” 

“He’s very much alive, Ronnie,” stated Alex. “My mother told me he works at the Hogs Head.” 

“I have no idea what that is, but sounds cool,” said Ronnie. 

“It’s a a pub in Hogsmeade. It’s not too far from here,” explained Alex.

Albus wasn’t sure about contacting Aberforth. He wouldn’t want to reply to a bunch of kids about a legend he’s already denied having connection to. If only we could talk to whoever Rita Skeeter is, he thought.

“Maybe Aberforth and Albus Dumbledore made the Healing Springs themselves,” pitched Albus. “And now he’s just keeping it hidden.”

“But if The Springs were real, and Albus Dumbledore was able to use it,” started Alex. “He wouldn’t be dead.” 

“Unless he didn’t want to live forever,” pitched Albus. 

The trio was hesitant as to what their next step was, but Albus felt like they were close to uncovering the mystery of the Healing Springs. However, that scared him. He honestly didn’t think they’d get anywhere with the investigation, and, now that they had some clues, he really didn’t know whether or not he wanted to go on. 

There was no way he was going to tell his friends that, though. Alex and Ronnie seemed really enthusiastic with this mystery, and he wasn’t totally against it either. 

Once the rest of the Gryffindors came back into the common room with a ministry escort, Alex quickly started packing up his books while Albus and Ronnie cleaned up the rest. 

“Done with practice?” asked Albus when James was coming over to him.

“Yep, I really think we’re going to beat Ravenclaw in this first game,” gloated James. “What are you up to?” 

“Nothing, just studying,” lied Albus.

“Right. Well, have fun doing that,” commented James. “Oh and don’t forget that my game is in two days! Don’t miss it!”

“Why would I?” questioned Albus. 

Albus learned that with a Quidditch game approaching, everyone got very competitive in the houses. The Gryffindors have been hyping up for this match for the past week. 

***

The next few days consisted of the same enthusiasm, that Albus wondered how they would act once they won. He was among those who believed this match would be a lucky one. 

The breakfast in the Great Hall before the match was the most interesting that Albus had ever experienced at Hogwarts yet. 

“Gryffindor! Gryffindor!” chanted the Gryffindor table. 

“Ravenclaw! Ravenclaw” chanted the Ravenclaws. 

The Hufflepuff and Slytherin tables were divided in chanting for one house or the other. 

“Let’s go, Gryffindors! Let’s go!” screamed James at the top of his lungs, causing everyone to join him. 

“Who are we? Ravenclaw! Who are we? Ravenclaw!” cheered the Ravenclaws in return. 

Albus and Rose were trying to out-yell each other along with their all friends, except Alex, who looked annoyed and tried to continue his breakfast. 

Albus was surprised that the professors simply laughed at the competitiveness. Professor McGonagall even joined in the cheering for Gryffindor. 

Penelope Toyle stood up and led the Gryffindor team out of the Great Hall. The leader of the Ravenclaw team did the same. At once all of the students jumped out of their seats and followed to the Quidditch pitch. 

“Let’s wait for Johnny,” requested Alex as he looked around.

“I can’t see him anywhere with all these people in the way,” spat Ronnie. 

“Let’s wait for it to clear out a bit,” said Alex. 

Even then, Albus couldn’t see Johnny anywhere, and by the looks of it, neither could his friends. 

“Do you think he already left?” asked Albus.

“Maybe,” said Alex. “Well, let’s get going then.” 

“We’ll be late unless we take this shortcut I found on the map,” said Ronnie. “I memorized it. It’s this way.” 

Ronnie led her two friends to the alternative path then the usual route to the Quidditch pitch.

“The map said if we go this way,” said Ronnie. “Wait, I didn’t know it’d be this dark.”

“Are you sure we should be here?” questioned Albus. 

“I really don’t think we should be,” muttered Alex. “Lumos.” Albus and Ronnie murmured the same spell and led on.

The corridor hardly lit up, but it was enough for the trio to continue along it. 

“Are you sure we shouldn’t just go back?” said Albus.

“Let’s just run through here. We’re going to miss the game!” said Ronnie.

They started to run through the darkness with only the illumination of their wands, but came to a halt when they saw a body lying on the ground face down. It was covered in a ripped cloak, and a few feet away was a collection of Gryffindor flags and red bullhorns.

“Oh my-” Alex yelled. 

Ronnie gingerly walked towards the body, and hesitantly pulled the cloak off. Like Albus first feared, there was the dark haired Hufflepuff boy he warned about being careful a month back.

“Johnny!” shrieked Alex as he dropped to his knees to check if Johnny was breathing. “Albus! Go get Professor McGonagall! Hurry up!”

Albus ran away from the scene back the way he came. He made his way up to the Headmistress’ office as fast as he could. The last thing he saw was Ronnie run another way while Alex attempted to levitate Johnny. 

The corridors were nothing but a moving blur by how fast Albus was running towards McGonagall’s office. Sweat was running down his forehead by the time he ran up the stairs to the third floor. When he got to the outside of McGonagall’s office, he rummaged through his mind for the password. 

“The Lost Diadem!” he yelled at the gargoyle. 

The gargoyle twisted and turned until a full staircase appeared which Albus ran up. He burst through the doors and started yelling, “Professor McGonagall! Professor we need you!”

It took him a moment to notice McGonagall wasn’t there and remember that she accompanied the rest of the school to the Quidditch match. 

“Unfortunately, Professor McGonagall isn’t present right now, my dear boy,” said an unknown voice. “But if you wish, I can console you on any problem you have.”

“Who’s there?” said Albus 

“Pardon me for not formally introducing myself. If you’d come by the Headmistress’ desk, I’d be more than happy to do so.”

Albus walked to McGonagall’s desk and saw no one. No one. 

But he saw two paintings, both the biggest in the entire room. One was of a man with a long gray beard with half-moon glasses hanging off his crooked nose. The second was a dark haired man with a smug expression.

“I am Albus Dumbledore,” said Dumbledore. “And I expect you’re Albus, Potter’s son?”

“Obviously, he was here before,” said the second painting. “I shall answer before you ask. I’m Severus Snape.”

“Now Severus,” started Dumbledore. “We were supposed to be sleeping, if you will.”

“So you’re the two headmasters I was named after,” said Albus. “Albus Severus Potter.”

“Yes,” replied Dumbledore. “I was quite flattered that Harry named you after me, and even more ecstatic to hear that it was along with Severus.”

“I am as well,” added Snape. He then looked closely at Albus. “You have her eyes,” 

“Who? I know I have my dad’s eyes,” said Albus.

“And he had your grandmothers eyes,” said Snape calmly. 

“Yeah - So aren’t you guys supposed to be asleep?” asked Albus. 

“We do most of the time, but Severus and I help McGonagall run the school,” informed Dumbledore. “As I’ve had quite a bit of experience doing so myself.”

“What did you need her for?” asked Snape. 

“My friend, he’s been attacked, by the monster!” yelled Albus. “I needed her-“

“She is in the Quidditch pitch right now,” said Dumbledore. “I guess I shouldn’t have advised her to take a great deal of ministry agents to the pit to be safe.”

“Now my friend is going to start dying-“ exasperated Albus. Then he thought this was the perfect chance to ask. “Dumbledore, I need to know where the Healing Springs are.”

“The Healing Springs?” asked Dumbledore. “I didn’t even know there was such a thing.”

“But, didn’t you make them? With your brother?”

“I haven’t spoken to my brother since as long as I can remember,” said Dumbledore. “I didn’t make any Healing Springs, my boy.” 

“But, no, you can’t be serious,” muttered Albus. “So they don’t exist?”

“I didn’t say they didn’t exist,” corrected Dumbledore. “However, they were not of my own making.” 

“Such a thing isn’t safe anyways,” added Snape. “Any dark wizard would have eternal life with something like that.”

“You’re right Severus,” said Dumbledore. “There is such thing as too much of a good thing. Healing is a prime example.”

“I’m sorry, but I’ve got to go find Professor McGonagall,” said Albus right before he sprinted out of the office.

After running past a few corridors, he ran into Ronnie. She as accompanied by a ministry agent.

“Albus! I had to go get McGonagall because we sent you to the wrong place,” said Ronnie while trying to catch her breath. “We waited for you there thinking you’d come back quickly, but, when you took this long, I had to come looking for you. Come with me. We already took Johnny to the Hospital Wing. McGonagall is there.”

The two friends made their way to the hospital wing accompanied by the agent. Albus had visited the hospital wing quite a few times already this year, and it was starting to feel like it was his second home like it was his fathers. 

“So you’re sure you have no recollection of what happened?” McGonagall asked Johnny. 

He was laying on a bed, with Alex sitting next to him in a chair. There was an empty chair where Ronnie must have been. Meanwhile, Madame Pomfrey was aiding all the scratches on his body.

“No,” said Johnny weakly. “I was coming to the Great Hall a bit late because I was finishing up these flags I made for my friends, and then I felt something hit my head and that’s when it all went black.”

“Madame Pomfrey, I will need you to write to St. Mungos. We can’t take any risks this time. This boy needs to be taken into intense care,” ordered McGonagall. She then looked at Albus, Ronnie and Alex. “And what were you three doing when you came across this boy.”

“We were going to the game after failing to find him, Professor,” explained Alex. 

“You children must be kept safe with the help of the Ministry,” started McGonagall. “Hogwarts is no longer safe. Mr. Ward, please alert the rest of your squad to gather up all the children and send them to their common rooms. Have at least five agents in each common room and don’t let anyone out.” 

“Professor, what can we do to help?” insisted Albus. 

“I’m sorry, Potter, but there isn’t anything you can do,” answered McGonagall. “Just go with Mr. Ward, go to your common rooms and stay safe.”

With no other option, Albus followed the ministry agent out of the hospital wing. Johnny looked extremely weak and terrified. Alex teared up, which only made Ronnie cry. Albus himself couldn’t hold back the tears that he felt coming. 

His friend was dying, and the Healing Springs didn’t exist. Albus had no idea how he was going to break the news to his friends. Everything that they have been finding out, and searching for, had been lies. 

It was the only chance they had at helping cure Taylor Jones, the Blast-Ended Skrewt, and now Johnny.