Status: progressing

My Heart Belongs in ... Paris?

two

If only she knew what I was planning. I had really already applied for my vacation time and so I was flying home later today. I was going to be able to drive her to school tomorrow morning in Wisconsin for goodness sakes. I was so excited.
I boarded my plane in Geneva, Switzerland and awaited take off to get me to Paris, France, where my layover was. I planned on doing a little shopping during my eight hour layover and possibly buying her an anniversary present. It was, after all, our third anniversary this week.
When the plane took off, I decided it would be best if I slept the entire way to Paris. So, I dreamt of things I could buy for her for our third anniversary, but never came up with the best one before I fell asleep.
When I awoke, we had landed in Paris. I had an eight hour layover and started by going to the jewelry stores just around the corner from the airport. The salesmen all spoke French except one, for that I was thankful. I knew some French but not enough to get me through the buying of jewelry.
“Good afternoon, Sir, what can I help you with?”
“I’m going home for the first time in two years and I need to find the perfect gift for the love of my life.”
“You want something to say ‘I’ve missed you?’”
“Exactly, and that you can keep this with you to always remember me kind of thing,” I tried to explain.
“May I suggest a locket? We have a full collection from many different designers. You can pick your favorite or the one you think she will enjoy most.”
“Let’s see what you have, please?” he led me to the other side of the store and pulled out a special collection from a vault.
“These are what we offer especially to military members, no matter the nationality. We know you like to buy special gifts and we offer exclusive pricing on them too.”
“How much for this one?” was my quick response after I looked briefly at the lockets and immediately saw the one I knew she would love forever.
“You must be a really lucky man to get a girl who will like that one. Most guys go for the extravagant ones, but she must like simple.”
“I would not have her any other way.”
“For you, I can do half price, that’s 500 Euros.”
“I can spring that, how much for engraving?”
“Free, military members get free engraving.”
“Can you have it done by morning? I fly out at eight?”
“I can have it done in an hour. Let’s get you checked out and they can get to work on it.”
“Great,” I smile, this was a happy moment. She was not expecting me and I was going to majorly surprise her.

Six hours later.
“Unboarding flight 1004 from Madison, Wisconsin,” I heard the voices say in French over the airport speakers. I think nothing of it as I head towards my gate that will leave in just over an hour. I knew I was early, but I wanted to make sure I knew where I was going so I couldn’t get lost or miss the flight.
I choose a seat and take out the locket I had purchased for Lexi. It was gold with silver accents and in the shape of a heart. I had inscribed Marine’s Girl on the back and our anniversary in the middle. She was going to love it. I knew she was.
I look up to see a sweet blonde trying to figure out where she was. Since I had been here for over an hour and she speaks English, I decided to go and see if she needed any help.
“Excuse me, Miss, do you need help?” I ask and than I get a good look of who is standing there. It’s my girlfriend. My girlfriend is standing in a Paris, France airport.
“Stephan?” she whispers. I just nod and she jumps into my arms.
“Oh, Lexi, what are you doing here?”
“I was coming to surprise you!”
“That was what I was doing!”
“No way,” she retorts quickly. “You couldn’t get leave!”
“Bay, I got promoted six months ago and for that, I get my leave request processed faster. I was coming home for two weeks.”
“Thank god we were both here at this exact moment. I don’t know what I would’ve done if you had been in Madison while I was in Geneva.”
“I don’t know either. But, can we go home? I don’t want us to celebrate being together for the first time here. I know its Paris, but I’ve missed you and our hometown. I want it to be just us.”
“Of course, let’s go change my flight.” She took my hand and waltzed to the first ticket counter in site. “Excuse me, do you speak English?”
“Yes, what can I help you with?” she asks in broken English.
“I’d like to exchange my ticket to travel back to Madison, Wisconsin please.”
“May I see your ticket?” she questions and Lex mindlessly hands it over. “You just want to go back to Madison, Wisconsin, no return flight or anything?”
“No, just Madison,” she replied and looked at me lustfully. I kiss her quickly while the lady hacks away on the keyboard.
“I’ve really missed you.”
“Me too, baby.”
“I’ve booked you on the next flight to Madison, miss,” the airport woman says.
“Thank you,” Lex replied.
“They’ll be boarding shortly.” She smiles and we go to sit down.

Next Day
The next morning, I awoke with my bay wrapped in my arms with the locket I had given her around her neck. We were content. It was freezing in my little one bedroom apartment that I had let Lex move into once I had left for Switzerland.
My phone buzzing had woken us from our peaceful slumber, so I reluctantly answer it.
“Mann,” my voice lazily answers.
“Stephan, the facility, it burned down. All of our stuff, information and equipment, everything, burned. They have no use for us anymore and so they are discharging all of us. Ain’t it great man?”
“It made my day perfect,” I responded and hung up on my buddy from Switzerland before nuzzling my head into the crook of her neck. We fit perfectly as we cuddled with each other. And now, I could wake up this way every morning, with her curled into my side.
♠ ♠ ♠
the end, I hope you like it!!