The Empress of the Seas

Chapter 9

As the puppy ate her food of whatever I happen to find in the kitchen I dismissed the cook and looked for extra towels and cloths to make a bed for her. When I felt a hand on my shoulder I screamed and spun around to see Gibbs.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to scare ye,” he said.

“That’s ok; I just thought everyone was still above deck.”

“They are; diner isn’t for another hour. Where’s cook?” he looked puzzled.

“Oh I told her Jack needed something so I could steal some food for the puppy.”

“Yea, I wanted to thank ye for all ye are doing for her. I know she’s just a puppy but she looked so scared and helpless in the streets…” Awe, Gibbs has such a soft side! I thought but let him continue. “I couldn’t just leave her there I just couldn’t.”

“It’s ok, she’s safe now. So what are ye gonna name her?” I asked and picked up the bowl that the puppy was licking clean.

“What?”

“Well she’s your puppy ye are gonna have to name her!”

“Oh no, she’s yours. Ye stood up to Jack for her and took her in; I only brought her aboard. She’s more like ye anyway how she stand up to Jack.” I laughed.

“Well then it has to be fierce for her personality but gentle ‘cause she wouldn’t hurt a fly!” I said in a baby voice picking her up and Gibbs laughed. “Ok well maybe a fly but she’s gentle, I can tell. And If she’s mine then it has to be something people with know who she belongs to.” I put her down again and she lay down by my feet.

“Well people do know ye as the Empress of the Seas why not something like that?”

“Hmm how about… Princess!”

“Princess?” Gibbs raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah! She will be like my daughter so I think Princess fits. But not just Princess, it has to be princess of something… Not princess of the seas; that’s like she’s trying to steal my name.”

Gibbs chuckled but continued to think. “Well she likes danger and isn’t afraid to fight no matter how big her opponent.”

“I got it! Princess Peril! Pirates everywhere will see a ship in the distance and wonder who it is. But then, coming in soft but getting louder, they’ll hear barking and yell Princess Peril! Emma Read is coming! Quick put up the white flag! And we will both stand there proudly and watch how a simple sign of our arrival will send them into panic.” I put my foot on a chair and pretended to proudly look into the horizon with Princess barking at my feet.

“Yes you will be just as feared as me!” I picked her up laughing and swung her around in a circle. Gibbs laughed along with us until we heard Jack’s voice yell down the stairs.

“Gibbs! Where are ye?!”

“Quit yelling, he’s coming!” I yelled back and picked up all the towels.

“What are those for?” Gibbs asked helping me with them.

“I’m making a bed for Princess.” I stated simply and he laughed. “What?”

“Ye don’t even have a bed.” I furrowed my eyebrows. I totally forgot about me.

“I have a blanket…”

“It’s ok I’ll get ye some more and maybe a pillow or two but that’s all I can do,” I smiled.

“And it will be much appreciated.”

“Gibbs!” Jack yelled again.

“I’m coming!” He handed me the towels he was holding and went back above deck.

“Come on Princess,” I called to the puppy. “Let’s go fix ye up a nice comfy bed. She looked up at me and happily followed me to our room.

About a half hour later I had emptied one of the many crates in the room, punched a few holes in it, and laid all the towels in it. Princess had went in and made herself a comfy little circle in the middle then looked back up at me happily. Just then there was a loud noise from on deck and I stood up to see what it was but so did Princess.

“No Princess, ye go back to your bed and get some rest.” She whined with her puppy dog eyes. “Ye learn right now that doesn’t work on me. Here, ye can guard my bracelet ok?” I smiled and put my bracelet in the crate and she jumped in and gently laid down on it. “Good girl now I’ll be right back.”

As I walked down the hallway I heard yelling start up and when I reached the deck I saw Captain Corus and his crew coming aboard. My entire being filled with hatred and the sky seemed to get darker. Out of no where Jack started to fight him as the crew each took someone from Corus’s crew. Pulling out my pistol I walked to the middle of the deck and fired into the air. Everyone paused to see who fired the first shot.

“Emma Read, what would ye be doing on Sparrow’s boat?”

“Ship,” Jack corrected but we ignored him.

“That has no relevance to this; now get your ass off this ship.” I glared back at him.

“Oh I see,” he turned to Jack, “Ye needed to call in protection.” Jack glared at the insult.

“Ye can say what ye want; I don’t care just leave now or face the consequences.” I spat pointing the gun at him.

“Say whatever I want, eh? Well that is a nice pistol… Who got it for ye, your dad? Oh right, he’s dead.” Corus smirked and thunder was heard in the distance.

“Don’t talk about him,” I replied trying to keep my anger in but it was getting harder and harder by the second as rain softly started to come down.

“Why? Ye said I could say whatever I want right? Well let’s talk about your dad, shall we?” My arm started shaking and Jack took a step back. “He was a good man, but too good to be a pirate; had no sense of killing. I don’t know where ye get your anger from, your mother maybe? Oh wait she was just a whore so that can’t be it…”

The rain poured down now and a loud crack of thunder shook the entire ship which made him stumble. “I said don’t talk about him!” I screamed and ran for him but just before I reached him a bolt of lightning came down a struck him with such force it threw me across the deck and landed by Gibbs feet. I groaned in pain as I blink a few times before holding my head.

Corus was surrounded by his crew who helped him stand; it was amazing he was still alive. “Get off of me!” he yelled at them and they immediately backed off. “If it weren’t for the storm ye’d be dead,” he said coldly towards me but I simply stayed where I was. “We will finish this later.” He said before him and his crew retreated to their ship and began to sail away.

“Emma ye ok?” Jack asked running over to me.

“Uh… yeah... Yeah, yeah I’m fine…” I moaned and let him pick me up.

“Uh captain?” Gibbs said and Jack turned to him. Gibbs widened his eyes for a second then said, “Color of the deep sea.”

Jack looked down thoughtfully. “Hey, what was that color? I may have a splitting head ache but I can still hear!”

“Shh, just go to sleep…” Jack said softly and started carrying me somewhere.

“But… but… ok,” I gave in and fell asleep in his arms as the rain slowly came to a stop.