Fragile Bird

five.

“So, it looks like we’re all set. Expect a call from me probably sometime tomorrow afternoon. I want you starting as soon as possible. We’ll talk about scheduling tomorrow. Just a heads up though, there’s a big event over at the Billiken Sports Complex-“

Emma grimaced, “All the sports franchises go over there to promote the school and whatnot, right? The GM’s all donated money this year if I’m not mistaken...”

Jan, head stylist, smirked, “Looks like you’ve already got yourself some pretty nice connections. I like that. Anyway, I’ve been assigned a freelance job, so this one is all yours. We’ve got the centerfold this month so it’s kind of a big deal. From looking at your portfolio, I have faith that this assignment is in good hands.”

“Okay, what kind of looks are we going for?” Emma asked pulling out her notebook.

“Well, we had all the couples picked out and they were all supposed to come in next week but our hockey couple is cancelling on us.” Jan sighed, “TJ Oshie and his girlfriend, he didn’t give us a name or any information on it at all… said he wanted it to be a surprise, but they got in some accident a few days ago so he ended up cancelling last minute.”

Emma shifted nervously in her seat “What about Jaden Schwartz, the rookie, or David Backes, he’s the captain!” She felt her skin get cold and clammy beneath her sling.

She watched as Jan tapped away on her tablet, probably pulling up the names Emma gave her. The room was silent for a while, “I suppose…” Emma raised her eyebrow listening intently, “Well, I’ll give Mr. Oshie another day or two before I pick someone else. He’s really the one our readers want to see.”

At the sound of TJ’s name, Emma clutched her collar bone and winced, “He can’t do it.” She blurted out

“Excuse me?” Jan shifted in her seat.

Thinking quickly, Emma took a deep breath, “Family friend of the girlfriend. She said they’re on the rocks. Apparently they haven’t talked since their accident.”

Jan pursed her lips, “Alright. Call me tomorrow, I want the Schwartz kid. I’ll e-mail you the size measurements for all the ladies. The outfits need to be pulled and finished by Tuesday.”

Emma nodded and tossed her bag onto her good shoulder, “Thanks again, so much for this opportunity.”

“Don’t disappoint me.”

Outside the tall office building, Leslie sat in the parking lot awaiting her friend’s arrival. She felt her phone buzz in her pocket and checked the screen. TJ. Leslie opened the message and groaned. Typing a quick response and sending, Leslie tossed her phone into the backseat and began pulling up to the front of the building to save Emma the walk.

The car ride to the little bistro down the road was quiet. As the two girls sat down to eat, Emma broke the news, “So, I got the job!”

Leslie gasped, “Oh my gosh, I knew you would! What’s your first job?”

“You know that event over at SLU that the boys are going to?” Leslie nodded, “Well, the magazine is doing a spread on a bunch of the athletes- them and their wife or girlfriend. They originally wanted to use TJ and I but I wiggled my way around it. We’re using you and Jaden!”

“So… I’m going to be in a magazine?!”

Emma nodded and smiled, “Yes!” She took a sip of her coffee, “Want to go shopping with me to pick out all the outfits? You know I hate going by myself.”

The girls continued their meal planning outfits and talking about Emma’s new job. They left the bistro and headed back to Jaden and Leslie’s shared condo for what was supposed to a relaxing afternoon- popcorn, movies, and gossip. Emma had no idea what she was about to walk into. Halfway through their first movie, the front door slammed shut. There were several voices that had piled up and made it difficult for the girls to hear their movie. Emma sighed recognizing the voice of her favorite Swede.

She hoisted herself off the couch, readjusting her sling, and stomped into the kitchen. Emma opened her mouth to say something until she noticed who else was in the room with her. Not only had Patrik come back to the Schwartz condo but Matt, David, and TJ as well. She was like a deer in headlights.

“Tell Kell I say hi.” Emma said as she passed by David and towards the front door.

Without even turning around, Emma knew exactly who started following her. She began walking a little faster hoping TJ would stop after she left the condo, but he didn’t. He followed her all the way outside before Emma turned and said anything to him. She looked into his sad eyes and couldn’t help but feel a bit sorry for him.

“Before you say anything, just hear me out okay?” TJ pleaded, desperation dripping from each word.

Emma emitted a sigh, “What is there for you to say, TJ? You’re sorry you drove drunk and could have killed me? That’s not something an apology will make up for.”

“You can hate me all you want but it won’t make me stop loving you. I miss you every single day. You always said you were the lucky one to be with me, but you were wrong. I’m the lucky one. I never realized how much you did for me until you weren’t there. You did so much and I never thanked you. Please, just give me another chance to make things right.”

A yellow cab pulled up to the curb and Emma opened the door, “I’m trying, Timmy, I really am. I want to kiss and make-up but I don’t think I’m ready to be in a relationship with you again. I don’t know if I ever will be, but I am trying.”
♠ ♠ ♠
fragile bird outfits :)

there you go loves, brian update next then possibly a new story...