‹ Prequel: We Come out at Night

Crossroads

Le Tour!

Matt’s POV:

I lay stretched out on my bed talking to Lucy.

“So your finally coming out of your withdrawls?” I asked.

“Yeah. I’m feeling tons better.” she replied.

“And I bet you’re a lot clearer too huh?” I laughed.

“Yeah that too.” she said laughing as well.

“Listen Matt I-” but there was a noise from the background on her end and a second later she said something out of the phone.

“Hey Matt I gotta go. Phone time is up.” she said once she came back on the line.

“Alright. I’ll talk to you later.” I said.

“Bye.” she said and hung up.

I set my phone on the bedside table and stood up. It was weird staying here without Lucy. I could still smell her perfume in the closet and the day before I had been looking for my sneaker and I’d found one of her bass picks.

No matter what I still cared about Lucy but she had been right that night. We had drifted apart. Now she and Max were a couple and they were both in rehab. In some way I blamed Max for her being there but I knew Lucy and I knew that everything was her choice. There was no way Max could’ve talked her into something she didn’t want to do.

Suddenly though my thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a scream and repeated thunking like someone falling down the stairs. I ran out of my room just in time to hear yelling. Looking over the banister I saw Brian lying at the bottom of the stairs cursing up a storm.

His leg was at an odd angle and it made my stomach turn to look at it. I rushed down the stairs about the same time that Aden and Johnny reached him.

“What the fuck happened?” Aden asked kneeling down next to Brian.

“I fucking tripped over one of the kid’s toys! Fuck! My leg!” he said gritting his teeth.

“I’m fucking calling 911.” Johnny said and scrambled for his cell.

An hour later Aden and I sat in the ER beside Brian who was so fucked up on pain killers that he was pretty much unconscious. After a while a doctor came in.

“Are you Mr. Haner’s family?” he asked.

“Yeah I’m his friend and this is his girlfriend.” I replied.

The doctor nodded and from the folder he carried pulled out an X-Ray. He put it on the light box that hung on the wall.

“It seems that Mr. Haner has broken his leg in two places. There’s a hairline fracture here just under his knee and a compound one here in the middle of his shin. He won’t need surgery but he will be in a cast for quite a while.”

“How long is a while?” I asked.

“About 6-8 weeks.” he replied.

“And that would require no standing correct?” Aden asked.

He nodded, “He needs to put as little pressure on his leg as possible and that means no standing even on crutches. Now moving onto his wrist-”

“Wrist? What about it? He wasn’t complaining about his wrist!” Aden replied.

“Most likely because it isn’t as severe as his leg which was probably drawing attention away from the pain in his wrist. But yes he’s fractured it. Again no surgery but he will be in a cast for several weeks.” the doctor replied.

“Really? Well I guess he’s out for tour.” I said running my hands down my face.

“Yes it will. Now we’ll be back shortly to apply the casts.” The doctor said and left.

Three hours later we left the hospital with Brian’s left leg and right arm in matching purple casts. Along with that we had strict instructions from the doctor that he wasn’t to play a single show until both casts came off. Not that he’d be able to anyway with the cast on his wrist.

“So he’s out for half of the tour?” Zacky asked as him, Jimmy, Johnny and I convened in the living room.

“No for all of it. After being in that cast for so long he’ll need to build the strength back up in his hands.” I sighed.

“So what do we do for a lead?” Jimmy asked.

“Well I asked Aden but she’s got not only Jude now to take care of but Brian. He’s on bed rest for a least a month and there’s no way she’s going to just leave Jude with someone and come on tour. She also doesn’t want to bring him with her because he’s still little and there would be no one to watch him since Katie’s staying back with Aliana and Lexi is working on that clothing line she’s trying to start.” I replied.

“So what we cancel the tour?” Zacky asked.

“Um…we have one more option Zee.” I said.

“And that is?” he asked.

I looked at Johnny and Jimmy who both nodded before we answered, “Joanna.”

-Joanna’s POV-

I hit the end button and placed it on the table in front of me. I sat on the edge of the couch with my elbows on my knees and my head in my hands. I couldn’t believe what happened to Brian. Nor could I believe they asked me to tour for him. I mean, I was totally psyched, but under the circumstances, it didn’t feel the same.

“What’s goin on babe?” Craig said pulling me from my thoughts. He held Leila in his arms.

“OH hey you guys.” I said smiling.

“We called for you in the doorway and we come in here and you’re like, in that new catatonic behavior you’ve been getting into lately. Are you alright?” he asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I just got off the phone with Matt.”

Leila shimmied down Craig’s side and ran over to me giving me a hug.

“Oh? What did he say?” he said setting down Leila’s bag.

“Uhm, Brian broke his leg in two places and messed up his wrist.” I said.

He grimaced, “Damn that had to hurt. Aren’t they still on tour though? Are they just going to end it?”

“No, that’s why Matt called. He asked if I would take Brian’s place as lead.”

“That’s, wow, isn’t that 4 months?” he said.

“Nah, three. But I told them I’d think about it.” I replied.

“Don’t you wanna tour?” he asked sitting down with Leila and I, Leila’s Leapster game droning in the background.

“Yeah, but that’s a long time away from here.” I said.

“Well, what happens when I go on tour? I’ll be gone longer than three months at a time. And what about when you and the girls start touring again?” he said with a smile in his voice.

“I know. I guess I’ll go. It’d be nice to be in front of a crowd again. And to just travel. That’d be nice.” I said.

“So, do it.” He smiled.

I smiled back and picked up my phone. I opened up a new text message and texted Matt.

To: Dimplez :D

I’ll tour with you guys. I’ll brush up on the playlist you have set up and I’ll be out there in a couple of days.


I put the phone back on the table and looked over at Craig, “You’ll come visit me right?” I asked.

“But of course.” He smiled back before leaning over Leila and giving me a quick kiss.

“What about me daddy? Can I come too?” Leila asked.

“Sure you can. We just gotta clear it up with mommy.” He replied stroking her hair.

“Well, it’s getting late, and I promised I’d go see Lucy and Max today. And if I’m going to be on tour I better get as much time in with them as possible.” I said sliding on my sneakers.

“Alright, tell them I said hi. I promised this one here I’d take her to see Robert and Monte so, we’re going to get some i-c-e-c-r-e-a-m.” he said spelling it out.

“OH! Bring me back some please?! You know what I like.” I smiled.

“Sure thing.” He replied. I bent down and planted a kiss on his lips before kissing the top of Leila’s head.

“Love you guys.” I said before walking out the door.

When I got to the center Lucy and Max were being treated at, I went through the routine search and thanked the nurse before meeting them outside.

When I saw them I smiled. They looked so much better than they did when we brought them in. I could tell Lucy was in better condition than Max. He was still going through minor withdrawals but he was looking a million times better.

“Hey guys!” I greeted them as we hugged each other over the table. “How you two feeling?”

“I’m doing alright. I thought I was still withdrawing but it turns out its morning sickness. Shit I wouldn’t really even know the difference.” Lucy replied.

“I’m doin alright, just getting chills and massive headaches every now and then.” Max added.

“Oh, Matt called me earlier.”

“Yeah? What’s going on in Casa de Avenged?” Lucy asked.

“Brian fell down the stairs this morning and broke his leg in two places and fucked up his wrist pretty bad.” I replied.

“Oh fuck.” Lucy said shaking her head.

“Aren’t they touring though?” Max asked.

I nodded, “Yep. That’s why Matt called me. He asked if I could take his place for the rest of the tour.”

“Whoa, really? You gunna do it?” Lucy asked.

“Yeah, cant let the guys down. Plus it would be nice to travel again. And it also gives me a break before we start going around again. It would be awesome if your treatments ended by then, I mean don’t get me wrong. Having Ray in the band will be sweet but, minus you, that’s fucked up.” I said.

“I know.” Lucy frowned.

“But, you’re getting better, that’s what matters.” I smiled.

She smiled back, “Well, what about Zee, do you think it’ll be a little weird being around him 24/7? And you’d have to share the same bunk room with him on the bus, oh boy.”

“You make me feel like I’m in an interview.” I laughed. “But nah, I’ll make the best of it. I’ll set the tension aside.”

“Bet you gotta play back to back with him too. Keep Brian’s image alive.” Max said.

“Yeah, true. But, I’ll be okay. Just gotta endure all that testosterone.” I laughed.

“You should be okay, you grew up with Caleb, Ray and your dad. They were your training guides.” Lucy said. She grimaced a bit and held her stomach. “I’ll be back.” She said getting up and running for the building holding her mouth with one hand and her stomach with the other.

“Ugh, that’s the fourth time today.” Max said.

I smiled and zoned out for a moment. My mind started running.

“You alright?” He asked pulling me from my thoughts.

“Max, I think I’m pregnant.” I said.

His eyes bulged. “What is this? Does your band just get pregnant in twos?”

“I don’t know. I said I THINK I might be. Max, you’re the only one I’ve said this to. I feel so much better now that I’ve said it out loud to someone.”

“Why didn’t you just tell Craig?” he asked.

“I don’t want to get the idea in his head and then turn out not pregnant.” I replied.

“So, go piss on a stick.” He said resting his head on his hand.

“Ugh, this has got to stop.” Lucy said coming out of the building.

I shot a look at Max and he understood. “Well babe, the baby is just violent.”

“I might as well not even eat, everything I eat comes back up. It’s ridiculous.” She said.

I gave her a small smile as my phone started ringing. I looked at the I.D and it said Dimplez on it.

“It’s Matt, just give me uno momento por favor.” I said before turning away.

“Joanna, I know this is a bit unfair to ask but, could you possibly be here tomorrow?” he said.

“What? Why? Isn’t the next show in like a week?” I asked.

“Yes but Larry wants us to have a meeting. And oh my fuckin god if I hear Aden, Katie or Lexi start giggling and screaming about how you’re going to be back for awhile one more time I’m not going to have any hair.” He said.

“Alright, I’ll see what I can do.” I laughed, “Besides I would like to run through the set list with you guys. Go over how the performances will go. All that shit.”

“Alright, well I went ahead and looked at plane tickets and such. Uhm, would you be willing to take a 3:53 am flight?” he said with an uneasy voice.

“Yeah, I can do that. Just gotta stay up haha. Something I’m sure I can handle. Gotta play that XBOX. Haha if you want, get on Live and I’ll play Black Ops with you.”

“It’s a date. Haha. Catch ya later. Just let me know what time to be on.” He said before we exchanged goodbye’s.

“Pee on a stick bitch.” Lucy said.

“MAX!” I said smacking my forehead.

“Go, we have pee sticks here. Gloria!” she called. A nurse came out of the building and walked up to her.

“Yes Ms. Patterson?” she asked.

“Gloria, I said you can call me Lucy, PLEASE!” she laughed.

“Sorry Lucy, what seems to be the trouble?” she asked.

“Could you do my friend here a favor?”

“Sure, what is it?” she asked.

“Could she possibly take a pregnancy test here?” Lucy asked with pleading eyes.

“Well we’re not supposed to provide that for visitors, just patients.” She replied.

“But, I’ll make you an awesome cake!” she said.

“Ugh, I’m a sucker for your baking. Yes, miss come with me.” She replied motioning for me to follow.

She led me to one of the exam rooms on the main floor. She went into one of the cabinets and pulled out a urine sample cup.

“Here, take this into the bathroom and bring it back here. We will strip test it and we should know between 3-5 minutes.” She said handing me the cup.

I took the cup to the bathroom and took care of some business. When I brought the cup back to Gloria, she put on gloves and stuck a test strip in it. “Okay so, 3-5 minutes.”

I headed back outside and saw Lucy bouncing in her seat. “Sooo?” she asked.

“So what?” I replied.

“So are you?” Max asked.

“I don’t know, a strip is soaking in my pee.” I said.

“Ah, now long ass minutes? Like the ones I had the first time I thought I was pregnant?” Lucy said with a quivering smirk.

“Yeah, I now feel your pain.” I replied.

We talked for a few minutes. She tried to keep my mind occupied but those minutes felt like hours. We had a brief discussion about what was going on for the tour and how I was leaving in the wee hours of the morning. Finally Gloria came out.

“Okay so, this could be good news, this could be bad news. Were you hoping to be pregnant?” she asked me.

“Uhm, I’m actually rather indifferent. I won’t be disappointed if I’m not but if I happen to be, I’ll be excited about it, just rather surprised.” I replied.

“Well that’s good I suppose.” She replied with a small laugh, “But no, you’re not pregnant.”

I felt a wave of relief come over me and smiled. “Well touring should be a bit easier on me then.”

“Well, here’s some bad news,” Gloria started, “Visiting hours are just about over so you will have to bid your farewells shortly.”

“That’s fine, I have to get home and pack. I’ll try to fly back and visit before I actually start touring. I love you guys.” I said reaching over the table and hugging them again.

The ride home was just full of hype. Not being pregnant would allow this tour to be easier. I could enjoy myself. Now I just had to get home and tell Craig I was leaving tonight.

When I walked in the door, Leila and Craig were on the couch eating the rest of their ice cream. Leila smiled with chocolate all over her face. I smiled back and kissed her forehead before plopping on the couch next to Craig and planting a kiss on his lips.

“So, we need to talk.” I said.

“About?” he said putting another spoonful in his mouth.

“Me leaving for California.” I replied.

“Okay, what about it?” he asked.

“Matt said that their manager wants to talk to me tomorrow, so Matt booked a 3:53 am flight.” I said waiting for a look.

“Whoa, that’s fast.” He said giving me the shocked ‘what-the-fuck’ expression I was expecting.

“Yeah, oh and the Green’s look amazing. So healthy.” I said with a smile.

“The Green’s?” he asked as he snorted a laugh.

“Yes. Max and Lucy.”

“You’re referring to them as ‘The Green’s’?” he laughed.

“Yesh. They has un baby so yesh, Le Green’s.”

“So what, they can start referring to you and me as ‘Le Mabbitt’s’?” he said still laughing.

I just stared at him, “I don’t curr. They can refer to us however they want. The Mabbitt’s, the Asshole Brigade, whatever.”

He kissed my cheek as he laughed, “Well, you better start packing, and your ice cream is in the freezer. It’s coffee flavored.” He said.

I smiled, “You must love me.” I said as I got up and headed to my room to pack.

It took me about an hour to pack, I was only packing for the few days I was staying there before returning, and then I would pack for the tour. I texted Matt letting him now I was about to get on Xbox Live.

I came back out and Craig just put Leila to bed. When I walked to the living room, he was just sitting on the couch with an Xbox controller.

“What are you about to play?” I asked him holding out a hand.

“Uhm, Black Ops?” he said unsure of his answer.

“Good man. I’m joining.” I said grabbing a set of wireless headphones and a controller.

“Sanders, you there?” I asked.

“I’m here Toscano. Let’s get this shit going!” he replied.

“Rock on.” I said as I smiled at Craig.

Now they both just had to keep me up long enough to not miss my flight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Special thankies goes to dead masquerade for writing Matt's POV :D

This was a filler so sorry if it sucks but the next chapter shall be rather juicy!

Comments are appreciated