Sequel: Consequence
Status: Slow Updates

Wasted

9.

Autumn paced around her class room nervously, awaiting her first parents to walk in.

Her heart was clamoring against her chest and her palms were getting clammy.

The school was buzzing with excitement, nerves and expectations for the parent teacher conferences being held tonight.

Her room was filled with snacks and beverages to please whoever were to step foot and she lit candles, creating a peaceful aroma in her classroom, something she very well did at home.

Parents were going to be tough on her, especially since she was so young and the school she taught at was one of the best in New York.

I can do this, she thought to herself and took a deep breath as soon she heard the light knock on the door.

She walked over, took in another deep breath and let a smile tug at her lips.

Her eyes met a pair of intense blue ones belonging to a middle aged woman and she was met with two parents. Both were clad in first class, classy clothing. She wasn’t surprised, most business women and men of New York sent their kids to Claremont Academy.

“Hello, I’m Miss Iero, please come in.” She smiled warmly at the parents, ushering them inside.

“We’re Mr. and Mrs. Thompson. We’re Sam’s parents.” Mrs. Thompson spoke up, her voice hard and dull.

Autumn’s eyes lit up and she motioned them over to her desk, where she had set up two chairs in front for the parents.

“Sam is one of my best students; I bet you’re very proud.” She spoke honestly, loving her student Sam who never failed to do any of his assignments and was very respectful.

They took a seat before Autumn and Mr. Thompson let out a small sigh, “Yes, he could do some things better but nonetheless keeps our pride.”

Autumn looked down and raised an eyebrow to herself. These parents were going to be the stereotypical high class New Yorkers who sent their kids to the most prestigious schools but spent very little time to actually know their child.

She pulled up Sam’s report from her desk, “Yes, well, I have a report here on Sam –“

Mrs. Thompson cut her off with a small gasp, “A report?! What did he do now?”

Autumn’s eyes widened and she shook her head vigorously. “No, no Mrs. Thompson, he did nothing wrong. It’s a good report. I’m just going to go over his achievements and behavior with you.”

Mrs. Thompson nodded and loosened up but Mr. Thompson was too preoccupied on his cell phone. Autumn sighed to herself before speaking, feeling the tension and awkwardness of this meeting.

“Sam may be my best student, of course I hold no favoritism, but he shows a commitment not many of my other students hold. He does his work and exceeds my expectations. He’s very involved in the classroom and he’s also very respectful and an all-around humble student.” A big smile was present on Autumn’s face as she coaxed Sam’s parents.

But Mr. and Mrs. Thompson didn’t seem moved or impressed by the report on Sam.

“You seem a little young to be a teacher Miss. Iero.” Mrs. Thompson raised an eyebrow and shot daggers at Autumn.

Autumn was taken aback by her comment and cleared her throat, “I skipped a grade in high school and started University at seventeen.”

Mrs. Thompson didn’t seem convinced but her husband paid no attention and kept his eyes to his phone. “Where are you from Miss Iero?”

“Bellville, New Jersey.” Autumn spoke back, her voice confident but she could feel the anger boiling up in her veins. This woman was trying to intimidate her and make her step down from her position but she wouldn’t falter.

“Oh, that’s not a money area is it? How on Earth did you get a job at Claremont?”

Autumn felt her eyes narrow and she couldn’t help the snap in her tone, “I went to NYU Mrs. Thompson, through scholarship. I majored in English and got my teaching credentials. My résumé was enough to get me a job here, clearly.”

Mrs. Thompson smiled, her eyes holding a hint of mischief and venom, “I’ll have to speak to the board. The way you speak to my son almost sounds like there’s an attraction,” Autumn felt her eyes bulge out of her skull and Mr. Thompson finally looked up into the conversation, “You’re an attractive young woman Miss Iero, I wouldn’t doubt that’s a reason you got the job.”

Autumn swallowed back the bile in her throat and she felt her jaw tighten and her fists clench at her sides.

“If you’ve got a problem about the way I teach Mrs. Thompson, take it up with the directors. But you might want to have a valid reason as to why you’re filing a negative report.”

Mrs. Thompson frowned deeply and narrowed her eyes back, “Don’t smart mouth me young woman. If you must know I’m much respected in New York and I could have your career thrown under the bus.”

Autumn lost it and she stood up, sending her chair to hit her chalk board. “I will not be insulted in my own classroom! And I will not take your hidden threats Mrs. Thompson.” She headed over to the door and opened it as far as it could go. Her tone was enough to knock this woman off her horse, “I have given you the information on your son, now you should very well leave my classroom before you choose to embarrass you and your son some more. Good night.”

Mrs. Thompson stood up quickly and harshly with her husband right behind her, dumbfounded with the conversation.

“Mrs. Iero--”

Autumn cut her off, “Good night Mrs. Thompson."

She slammed the door shut behind them and let out a frustrated growl and sigh.

Somehow the words of Frank and Gerard rushed through her brain, reminding her of how much she hated her job.

-

There was a loud and hasty knock on Frank’s door and he shot up off the couch.

He opened it quickly, revealing a flustered Autumn with frustrated tears running down her cheeks.

“Autumn! What’s going on?” He let her in quickly and shut the door behind him.

“This bitch at work!” She shouted out, throwing her arms up, “She thinks she can just come in and insult me because she’s very much respected in New York” she mimicked, a scowl on her lips.

Frank’s eyebrows furrowed and he walked overly calmly to her, “I thought tonight was your parent teacher conferences?”

She looked up and nodded, more tears streaming, “Yes! And everyone else was cooperative and nice and took in what I said about their children except for this foul bitch!”

Frank couldn’t help but smile but turned away to hide it from her. “What did she exactly do?”

Autumn plopped down on his couch and sighed, her fists still clenched and her veins boiling with anger and frustration. “She pretty much accused me of sleeping around to get the job and slutting around with her son because I’m young. What kind of fuckery is that?!”

Frank’s eyes widened and he felt insulted, wondering how someone could be so cruel to his cousin.

“That bitch.” He muttered out.

“I can’t believe how ridiculous some people are,” she breathed out and shook her head, “I mean, you could tell how much they didn’t even care about Sam.”

Frank took Sam to be her student and nodded, letting her continue and get her anger out.

“I almost want to quit my job,” she muttered and let out a defeated sigh.

Frank ran a hand through his hair and spoke gently, not wanting to irritate her some more, “Maybe you should?”

She shot him a rough look, telling him that wasn’t an option and growled under her breath.

Frank had almost forgotten he had company before he heard footsteps coming downstairs. Autumn heard the footsteps and looked over at Frank, “I thought your mom worked tonight?”

Frank bit his lip, remembering the small altercation Autumn had this past weekend at his show.

“Oh, yeah she does.” He mumbled back, rubbing the back of his neck.

Autumn’s eyebrows furrowed and she looked back up towards the stairs. She noticed how off Frank was being and her eyes lit up, a small smirk on her lips, “Frankie…do you have someone over…you know, like a girl?”

Frank’s eyes widened and he shook his head, “No!”

At that moment Gerard came stepping down the stairs, a content smile on his lips and he shouted out for Frank to hear. “Best piss of my life man.”

He caught Autumn’s wide eyes as he stepped down onto the floor and he felt his own get bigger.
“Hi,” he spoke up awkwardly breaking the silence.

“Hi.” She said back, her voice monotone and a small frown on her lips.

Frank noticed the tension between them, his eyes darting back and forth.

Autumn scrambled up, grabbing her bag, “Well I should get home, thanks for the talk Frank.” She mumbled and headed towards the door.

“Wait! Stay for dinner yeah? The rest of the guys are coming over and we’re ordering take out and drinking a few beers.” Frank pouted his lips out faintly, earning a small glare from Autumn.

She sighed and nodded, the thought of take out and beer clearing her anger for a few seconds, “Yeah, okay.”

Frank looked over at Gerard who had walked down to the couch and spoke up, "I'll just go order the take out then."

The second Frank left into the kitchen, the tension got thicker. Autumn turned back towards the couch and dropped her bag by the floor, ignoring how close Gerard got towards her.

His voice surprised her, coming out quiet and slightly awkward, "Do you want to go outside and smoke for a second?"

She looked up at him, peeking through her hair and nodded hesitantly, "Okay."

Autumn looked over her shoulder to catch a glance at Frank; he was sitting at the table, take out menu and phone in hand.

They both stand outside on Frank's porch, inhaling the sweet nicotine and keeping it quiet.
"About that night at the show," Gerard starts, dropping the hand holding his cigarette to his sides, "I didn't mean to be a dick."

Autumn looked up at him, cigarette still dangling from her lips and raised an eyebrow, "You embarassed me in front of a potential date. I have urges you know." Her tone was sarcastic but Gerard took it as a blow and laughed dryly.

"So you were going to sleep with him?"

"As if that's any of your business." She snapped back.

"Wow Autumn, you could've fooled me,"

She turned to face him, her mouth popped open slightly and she furrowed her eyebrows, "What on Earth is that supposed to mean?"

He shrugged and looked ahead nonchalantly, "I just didn't see you as that type of girl."

She felt the anger from earlier with the conference and that bitch Mrs. Thompson fume up again, ignited by Gerard's snarky remarks.

"I already have Frank who peeks over my shoulder at every guy I find any interest in. I don't need you lining up for that job either Gerard."

His head snapped over at her. "Sorry," he spat curtly, "I was just trying to be a friend."

"You could've fooled me," she mimicked him, her voice louder than before and snappier, "apparently you've done something to make Frank think we having something going on, friends don't do that."

Gerard felt his breath get caught in his throat but he swallowed thickly and stomped down on his cigarette, "Right, because that guy at the club would have earned Frank's approval anyway."

Autumn's eyes lit up and she smirked over at Gerard, noticing how his cheeks were flushing with pink. "Were you jealous?"

Her exclamation threw him off and he scoffed, glaring at her. "Jealous that you gave him your number? Please Autumn, spare yourself some more embarassament."

"You smug bastard!" She scowled at him and turned away, crossing her arms and feeling her own cheeks warm up.

"Don't strain yourself Sugar, if I were jealous you would know." He chuckled dryly and walked into Frank's house, slamming the door behind him.

She turned just in time to see hear the door rattle and see him gone.

Riley, you were so wrong.
♠ ♠ ♠
DONT HATE ME.