Generations

Heidi Melchor is a Domekid: she’s lived all her nineteen years within the confines of the dome-shaped complex in the centre of the city, a closed-off, self-sufficient civilisation exclusive to the rich (human) population. Well, most of her nineteen years, anyway. She’s been sneaking out since she was ten, since she figured out how to trick the tracker bracelet ‘round her wrist into thinking she was still inside. Her partners in crime are Tegan Moneaux, a hacker originally from the States who’s attached to her motorbike in more ways than one, and Toby Diseth, a beta-generation robot who works at Halcyon, a popular bar in the underbelly of the city. Heidi’s life is far from perfect – she’s expected to get a job in the career that’s been picked out for her and marry a man she has less than zero interest in and the only freedoms she has are those she’s stolen for herself – but as a Domekid, she’s in a considerably better position in life than Tegan or Toby.

That all changes when she’s sucked into the dangerous world of the Orbitals, a rebel group who want to use Heidi’s skills (and family name) to further their cause. It’s everything she’s ever wanted – the chance to actually make a difference, to help her friends get the rights they deserve – or, rather, everything she thought she wanted. As the stakes get higher, she’s forced to question the integrity of the resistance, to wonder if they really are any better than the government they’re trying to destroy.

Image Image Image Image


if we don't kill ourselves / we'll be the leaders of a messed up generation
if we don't kid ourselves / will they believe us if we tell them the reasons why?

stay awake; example