Status: Completed

Forbidden and Mistaken

October

The days were passing slowly. September transitioned into October, and Halloween was slowly approaching. Classes were long and tiresome, and Malfoy and I got praised on a daily basis for our Potions work. Hagrid still hadn't forgiven us for not taking Care of Magical Creatures, but I guess he just didn't get that it wasn't the class that we liked, it was him. I had skipped out on Herbology this year, that was so not my thing...It was more like Neville's. I had also skipped out on Divination, 'cause there was no point in taking Trelawney's stupid bogus class. Seriously, that woman needed to buy some better smelling perfume for her overly heated classroom. If you could call it a classroom. This year, I was only taking the basic stuff for becoming an Auror (Not that I wanted to become one anyway). Just Charms, Potions, Transfiguration, Ancient Runes, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Astronomy, Arithmancy, and unfortunately...History of Magic. I was also signed up for Apparition, so I could you know...Apparate. Muggle Studies was a bust too. Why would I want to do that when I'm a pure blood. Okay, just kidding. But I didn't think that I needed it for any particular reason.

The Defence Against the Dark Arts classes were always pretty cool, but not this year. Snape was B-O-R-I-N-G! I can't believe that he won't teach us anything himself! He only teaches us stuff out of the book, and then he assigns us stuff to "learn".

"The Imperius Curse is one of the three Unforgivable Curses. When cast successfully, it places the victim completely under the caster's control, though a person with exceptional strength of will is capable of resisting it. makes it unique among the Unforgivable Curses, as it is the only one of them with a known, reliable method of resistance. Cursing another human with the Imperius Curse carries a punishment of a life sentence in Azkaban. The Imperius Curse was invented during the early middle ages by dark witches or wizards. The curse was created for coercion and brainwashing for slavery services. After the Wizards' Council was reformed into the Ministry of Magic, tighter restrictions were placed on the use of certain kinds of magic. The Imperius Curse was deemed by the Ministry to be Dark Magic, and, along with the Cruciatus and Killing curses, were declared "unforgivable" in 1717." He explained in a bored voice. "The victim of an Imperius Curse is placed in a calm, trance-like state in which all feeling of responsibility and anxiety is banished. They may then be directed to do anything the caster wishes, including crimes such as murder, political corruption, embezzlement, and so on. It is unknown if this hypnosis spell can affect physical capabilities, such as forcing a victim a task such as being stronger or casting spells far above their level." He read from the book. Wow, did he ever know how to bore students! "For today, you will be writing an essay on the Imperius Curse and hand it in on Thursday. No exceptions."

"Professor Snape," I asked as he turned around and glared at me while the rest of the class were getting started on their essays.

"What." He said. It wasn't a question, it was more like a response.

"Do I still have to take tutoring from Malfoy?" I asked.

"Mr. Malfoy seems to think you're doing surprisingly better." He spat. "Though I can't agree with him."

"Thanks." I said sarcastically.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hermione, Ron, Harry, Neville, Luna, and I worked on our essays in the library that night. It was really easy for us, since we had experienced them, used them, and saw them during the past two years.

"Why do you think Snape's got the job? Dumbledore never wanted him to have it." Ron asked.

"I don't know...It is weird, isn't it? Every Defence Against the Dark Arts professor has somehow wanted to kill us at one point or another. You would think that Dumbledore would want to get us a more safe teacher." Hermione said.

"'Mione's right." I said as I spotted Malfoy, Pansy, Millicent, Blaise, and Daphne at another table. "Oh look...Slytherins." I said with a sneer. "What I'd give to go over there and wipe that scowl off of Pansy's punched-in pug face-"

"Eliza, we're supposed to be working on the essay." Hermione said.

"Fine. As long as it doesn't involve-" I got cut off as Malfoy shouted across the library.

"Allen. Aren't you supposed to be working over here with us?" He yelled. My friends shot me questioning looks.

"Snape cut me off of your tutoring. I guess I'll have the pleasure of not having to hear your lessons in the library every other day." I smirked as I got back to my friends.

"What was that about?" Harry asked.

"Nothing. Remember last week when Snape told me I had to take tutoring from the Slytherins because O.W.L.s were nearing an 'A' in the class? Well he's a liar. I almost got an 'O' in Defence Against the Dark Arts." I explained.

"And Hermione got in trouble for sticking up for you."

"Snape's a jerk. He'll do the same to any Gryffindor." I said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the week went on as usual, the Gryffindors were gearing up for their next match against Slytherin in November. Malfoy didn't talk to me much, because everyone was always around us and we didn't want to draw attention. As I looked at the Black Family Tree, I found out that a lot of the pure blood families were related. Crabbes, Goyles, Bulstrode... And to be exact, my mother and Bellatrix were cousins. That also meant that Andromeda Tonks and Narcissa Malfoy were her cousins. So Malfoy was her second cousin and my...well...hardly related relative. Septimus Weasley was even on the Black Family Tree. It was interesting to see who was related to whom, and how did that happen. The Halloween Ball was slowly approaching, and I didn't know what to do.

"So, 'Mione..." I asked. "Do you want me to kick some sense into Weasley's head and make him ask you already!"

"No, Eliza. I want him to do it himself."

"Okay. Do you know that Ginny's going with Dean Thomas? He is such a prat."

"It's her decision..."

"Okay, Okay, I'm just kidding. What are you wearing?" I asked.

"I don't know. You?" She asked.

"Hey, don't look at me like that. I'm not planning on going." And seriously, I wasn't going to go to a stupid ball and watch couples dance around the floor happily. Because the one boy I want to go with...Well, I can't go with.

"Why? You have to go, you're Eliza Allen! You're the one who makes the parties fun!" She exclaimed.

"Nahh...I haven't been asked and-"

"I haven't either! And even if nobody asks me, I'm still going to have a good time with my friends!"

"Fine. I'll go." I don't know what the hell I'd just gotten myself into.
♠ ♠ ♠
~Angela