One Shot, One Beer, and a Kiss Before I Go

04

“Since when are you into the religious types?” Justin Godsey, a guy I'd consider as my best friend and my brother questioned me. He was giving me a look absolute disbelief and skepticism.

“Since never!” I protested. “And you know it man!”

“Then why do you like Autumn?” Since Justin was my closest friend, it was only naturally that I tell him all about the party and the one girl I met at Finn's party. He seemed interested in what I had to say, especially since I mentioned "girl".

“Who said anything about liking her? She's a friend! Er – acquaintance.”

“Wait...what's her last name?”

I thought for a moment and shrugged. “I forgot.”

“Does she have reddish brown hair?”

“Auburn?”

“Whatever.”

“Yup that's her. Is she infamous or something?”

“Well no, but I heard that bother her parents are pastors, so she's like a total jesus freak.”

“How do you know so much about her?”

“Not just me, everyone. She's pretty hott. I used to dig her myself, until I found out about y'know...”

“That's a bit of a turn off.”

“You mean a lot,” Justin laughed. “Well, at least she's better than Jaycee. You gotta get over your little tenth grade girlfriend dude. She was kind of a bitch.”

“Hey man! Piss off! I really like her.”

“I know, but I hate seeing your ass mope around. Get over it.”

“You say it like it's that easy.”

“I don't even know why you like her. She's not even that attractive.”

I knew Justin's personality, but I couldn't hold myself back when I found myself shoving his shoulder. He barely staggered back, staring at me with furrowed eyebrows and a hint of amazement.

“What was that girlish push, fag?” He threatened, shoving me back. In his case, I was the one who nearly fell.

“At least have some decency to talk about her behind my back and not directly in my face, where I can pound you on the spot!”

“Fuck! Relax! I'm sorry!” Justin held his hands up in surrender. “Touchy subject! Anyway, Autumn is my next door neighbor.”

“Seriously?” I was glad that the tension quickly went down, because I was so close to socking him in the face. Would my skinny arms be able to take it? “How come I've never seen her outside or something?”

“Because she's always out doing something for the religious community.” He suddenly groaned. “She's the only girl I've ever come across, who actually remembers to close her blinds when changing.”

I laughed and patted her shoulder. “Yup, sounds like you.”

I took the longest sip of my latte and stared out the window. I didn't have a crush on Autumn, but she did catch my interest. The one who popped out in my head was Jaycee and just thinking out her again caused my chest to hurt again. I thought of John and what they could be doing right now. I pictured the two on the grass somewhere, lying in each other's arms, laughing about something that John said then Jaycee leaning over for a kiss or two.

“Stephen!” I felt Justin punch my shoulder.

“What?” I snapped, annoyed.

“I see your girlfriend!” He sing-songed, pointing to Autumn who coincidentally walked in through the door of Starbucks.

“Shit!” I immediately looked away, pushing my latte in front of me. Justin laughed at my response.

“Dude, the hell are you doing? Why are you hiding for?”

“She's not my girlfriend!” I complained, ignoring the question. To be honest, I had no idea why I was trying to hide.

“That was a late response.”

“Just shut up okay.”

“Seriously man, I don't see why you're hiding.” Justin looked over in her direction. “Hey Autumn!”

She had just finished ordering her coffees when she turned around, looking genuinely surprised.

“Hey...Justin.” She pressed her lips together, eyeing him with a somewhat terrified look. “You never say hi to me.”

“Don't be ridiculous.” He grabbed my shoulders and I found myself staring face to face with her. “You remember my friend Stephen right?”

“Of course I do.” She raised an eyebrow. “You two are friends?”

“Best of all best friends.” He giggled like a little girl, putting an arm around my shoulder. She was looking a little creeped out and I threw his arm off.

“Yeah, so watcha' doing here Autumn?” I said, trying to change the subject.

“I'm on an errand, getting some coffee for the members of the church.” Justin gave me a secret I-told-you-so-you-little-faggot look.

“Did you walk here?”

“I did actually.”

“That's a really long walk.” I commented. “Isn't your cousin giving you rides?"

“He has his own life. She said this, without a sigh in her voice as if she already accepted her fate of having to walk everyday.

I shrugged, "Um, how about I give you a ride? Like you can carpool with me everyday if you need to."

She stared at me, surprised and I recognized that same contemplating expression from the last time. Justin also wore the same expression, while trying to stifle a laugh.

"This is a surprise."

"I'm a nice person."

"Are you really willing to do that for me?"

"Sure, why not? We're both fresh, young, graduates. What else can we do in our spare time?"

"You could go to college."

"I would, but I'm just not interested in the moment," I took the finals sips of my latte and stood up. "C'mon, I'll drop you off now."

"Thank you," She whispered, jogging over to the counter to pick up the tray of steaming coffees.

"Hey dude, what about me?" Justin called from the table with Autumn and I halfway out the door.

"You can find your own way home."

"You're an asshole."

"I don't think she feels comfortable with you in the car."

Justin rolled his eyes, muttering, "Of course." He looked up at me and gave me a smirk. "Think you can break her out of her religious shell? Call me when she's available to finally chat."

A laugh escaped my lips, before I could control myself. "Right."

"The fact that she prefers you as better company than me," His voice grew quiet and his features turned serious."Does she know that you're atheist?"

"No," I said quickly, as I closed the door behind me. I headed over to my car and saw Autumn waiting patiently. I looked back at Justin and his face still remained as if he had the ability to melt my eyeballs if he stared long enough. I turned away and slowly walked back to the car.
♠ ♠ ♠
Introducing Justin Godsey! He's Stephen's best friend :D

He's going to be appearing quite frequently.

I'm seeing some questions regarding this story. Is Autumn some strict catholic girl? And isn't Stephen atheist?

Stephen is in fact a confirmed atheist (Which is why he seemed disappointed in the last chapter), yet he has no trouble befriending someone religious. He's attracted to her, in not a love/crush kind of way, but for another odd reason that only he hasn't figured it out.

As for Autumn, hopefully I can fully develop her character throughout this story. Hopefully she will answer all your questions.

Thank you reading and commenting <3
I really love you all.