Status: I'm new at this, a working progress. Please comment!

Shotgun K

EPISODE 4/ pt. 2: The Start of It All

It took a few moments for the meaning of his words to settle and make sense. And then the room erupted.
“WHAT?!”

I heard my exact thought echoed by another; our tones identical. I looked over at the girl and exchanged nasty looks.
“Why do I have to house such a burden in my home? Because of paperwork complications?” I found myself roaring.
The girl had her own things to be heard.
“Why are you doing this to me, hmm, Jun? What did I ever do to you?” she demanded.

Jun put his hands us and patted the air in front of him, looking defensive for the first time.
“Easy, guys. I’m just saying, there is a standard process to go through---”

“And I’m saying that I don’t care about all that! Just get this…this…this homicidal maniac out of my home!” I raged on.
I heard yet another scoff from the girl.
Who’s the maniac?” she snapped.
“What, you don’t deny being homicidal?” I shot back.
“Not right now.” The girl growled.

…the crazy pint-sized demon!

“Guys, easy.” Jun said, sounding slightly exasperated. “What I’m saying is, there’s nothing I could do right now that would make any immediate changes.”
He then turned to Mr. Park, who was standing safely on the sidelines.
“Mr. Park,” he said. My manager practically jumped as if startled at being spoken to.

“Yes?” he said.

“We were given this assignment after we were directly asked for to ensure Mr. Seo’s safety.” The guy told him. “I was under the impression that your case needed someone discrete yet effective in the field.”
Mr. Park nodded, his eyes flickering to me and then at the girl.
“Yes, that’s right.” he said.
“Then K is the best you can ask for.” Jun told him. “She will be able to blend into whatever setting she needs to be in; she will be able to cover Mr. Seo closely without being suspected as a hired guard.”

The girl sighed quietly, shifting a bit where she stood. I saw a look of comprehension settle over her, and she seemed to calm down a bit. But I was still unhappy.

“How? Can she turn invisible?” I demanded. “I’ll tell you now, every moment I spend out there are always people watching---”

“I can be invisible if need be.” the girl suddenly spoke up. It was the first civilized tone she had used towards me. “I can adapt to any given situation. Whatever happens, I will make it work.”

I scowled and sent her unhappy glare, a look I was returned. Apparently we were on mutual grounds.

Jun spoke, his voice still calm and even.
“But if you still insist on personnel change---”

“I insist.” I said flatly, not dropping the harsh glare from the girl.

Jun stopped talking, and a moment later, I heard him sigh.
“Very well then. I shall get started on the paperwork the moment I check in tomorrow.” he said. “In the meantime, K will take on the job of your bodyguard as a temporary status. As her handler, I will be her supporting role. There should be no problems with this arrangement.”

“Huh,” I let out. I won’t lie; I was still irritated with the arrangement. “Just three workdays, right?”

“Three workdays.” the man echoed in confirmation. “Monday evening, we’ll be out of your life for good.”

“Hmm,” I hummed, thinking. It’s a temporary arrangement. I don’t like it but it’s not permanent. And it won’t even last a week. I dropped the glaring contest I was having with the girl and turned to Jun.
“Fine,” I said. “I can live with that.”

“Great.” he replied, flashing me one of his bright smile. “The job status is now active. K, you know what to do.”

The girl gave him a wave as he started towards the door. Mr. Park followed him, probably to see him out. But the girl didn’t move.

“Wait, yah, aren’t you forgetting something?” I demanded, pointing at the main cause of the issues.

“No, he’s not.” the girl said. “I’m staying behind.”

“For what?” I demanded.

“To do my job.” she replied.

I gawked at her incredulously, and then back at Jun.

“You’re staying here?” I demanded.

“Yea.” the girl replied. I could here the irritation in her voice coming back.

“Why?”

“I already told you; to do my job.”

“You can’t be serious.” I said.

“Jae, please.” Mr. Park said. He seemed exasperated. “It’s only five days; you can manage that.”

I couldn’t stop my jaw from dropping in disbelief.
“But---but…”

The man glanced at me and his partner, his expression calm and even. He then turned back to Mr. Park.
“Mr. Park, could I speak to you in private?” he asked.
I watched as Mr. Park nodded and follow Jun into the entrance corridor of the apartment…leaving me alone in the room with…with her.

I huffed out my frustration in a forceful sigh and stomped off into the kitchen area.
“Oh what the hell,” I muttered under my breath. “What kind of day is this?”
I yanked the refrigerator door open and snatched out a bottle of water.
How did all this happen? And why the hell did I get her of all possible candidates? I surely didn’t want her around me.
This girl K… who the hell does she think she is?
I glanced over at the girl, who seemed to be fuming quietly to herself and in deep thought.
What did I know about this girl. Absolutely nothing, outside of the fact that she seemed to like weapons and much capable of killing anything.
I saw her eyes flickered over to the pile of weapons on my glass coffee table.

Oh…she is a demon seed.

Aoish…I can’t believe this.” I muttered. The girl’s sharp gaze snapped over to me, openly hostile. She let out a drawn out slow breath and crossed her arms. As if she was the one being burdened.
“Why do I have to deal with you in my apartment for five days?” I demanded, right at her.

She looked at me, staring me down. I saw her eyes narrow.

I stared back, feeling challenged.
“What?” I demanded.

She made and irritated and dismissive sound.
“Go put a shirt on.” she grouched.

I stared in disbelief as she walked off toward where her partner and my manager was speaking.
What…what the hell…
I saw Mr. Park emerge from the entrance corridor and I noticed that he looked calmer and relieved. He came over to me in hurried strides.
Aish, Jae-Sung, please!” he hissed. “At least go put a shirt on.”
“I don’t like her.” I said stubbornly.
“You definitely made that clear.” Mr. Park said dryly.
“I don’t want her here.”
Mr. Park sighed, and I almost felt bad for being so childish. Almost.
“Look Jae,” he started. “I don’t know if you fully understand---”
“I understand, and I don’t like it.” I argued back.
“I’m talking about your situation.” he said.
I stopped and frowned. Mr. Park took the opportunity to keep going.
“You have a stalker, who just recently got violent.” he reasoned. “This person killed a girl for almost no apparent reason and made it clear that it was somehow connected to you.”
I didn’t speak, but I calmed down a bit as the gravity of the situation started to sink over me.
“I have talked to both the detectives and President Chung.” he went on. “We can’t know what this fan will do next. Whether they kill again, or worse, come after you.”
I froze, his words hitting hard. Had I really forgotten about those possibilities?
“So what…what am I supposed to do?” I asked.
“Let the girl do her job.” my manager replied smoothly. “From what I have been told, she can also help with the case. I’m not sure how, but she seems to be capable of many things.”
Mr. Park put a hand on my arm and locked eyes with me. He was serious.
“For now, all we can do is trust these two.”

I looked over to the pair of strangers that were supposed to help me. They were in deep conversation, clearly private.
The girl looked troubled a bit, her expression unreadable. Then I saw the guy lean closer to her.
They were no longer face to face, his lips hovering just above her earlobe. I couldn’t see her face but I could see his lips move, his words silent and a mystery to me.
The girl stiffened a bit at one point, but then relaxed quickly. Moments later I saw her posture relax further, as if to be resigning.
The guy said something else, and the girl quickly replied. Whatever she had said made him grin.

They were clearly close…were they a couple?

The guy said one last thing before he stepped away and turned back towards us, making me avert my eyes.
“That’s all the business we have for now.” he announced. “K will be here to take the temporary job. I will come back with immediate replacement personnel and have you sign the papers on Monday. And Mr. Seo,”
I looked up, a little taken aback at his directness.
“I realize this isn’t the better of first impressions, but please. We are only here to help you while accommodating to your need of discretion.” he told me.

Wow…what a matured speech. He was clearly used to easing out conflict.

He then turned back to his partner, or girlfriend… or whatever.
“I’ll have a package sent here early tomorrow.” he told her. “Oh, and I’m taking all of your knives, smoke bombs, two clips and the two barrettas.”
She looked like she was going to argue but he lifted a hand to stop her.
“Compromise per request of Mr. Park.” he said.
I saw Mr. Park wince, but smile sheepishly. The girl sighed.
“Just give me the folding combat knife.” she said. “I have a feeling it may come in handy.”
Jun glanced at Mr. Park, who gratefully nodded. “Fine; plus the one knife.” he said.

He then went over to the coffee table and collected the items he listed, storing them craftily over his body so it wasn’t noticeable. He was clearly used to packing heat as well. Once done he gave one nod toward the girl, and headed to the front door.
“I’ll see myself out.” he called.

I heard the door click closed and the apartment settled into a tense, awkward silence. Mr. Park was fidgeting uncomfortable in the kitchen, and the girl finally turned back to me. I’m sure I didn’t look happy.
Then the girl looked over at the reduced pile of her toys and let out a slightly mournful sigh.

This was going to be a long five days.
♠ ♠ ♠
MEH HE I'm ON A ROLL!! XD I'M GOING CRAZY!! XD

Hey guys, I feel like a stalker creeping on my readers or something, or at least someone just as desperate...XD

Please comment; comments make my day and it would make me happy. I need a good pick me up so please help...=(