Status: I'm new at this, a working progress. Please comment!

Shotgun K

EPISODE 2/ pt 1: Queue Rain...

The dark-grey sky seemed to weigh down on me as I glared through the stinging rain. My feet moved in a slow, almost sluggish pace and my clothes clung to my skin, making the light colored fabric practically see-through. And on my face was a blank, emotionless expression.

“Han!” someone yelled from behind me.

I made no indication that I heard them as I continued on with my easy pace.

“Han!” this person yelled again, this time closer.

Slight annoyance, still calm composure. I stuffed my hands into my jeans pockets and quickened my pace.

“Min Han! You won’t ignore me!”

I was already disregarding that last line when someone grabbed me by my forearm and whipped me back around.
“Han!”
On instinct, I ripped my arm out of the strong grip.
Mwuh?” I growled, a heavy sharp edge to my tone.
The guy who had grabbed froze in his spot, and a startled look flashed across his face.
“What was all that about, huh? Back there…”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I said, turning back to continue on my way.
Ya!” the guy said, his tone now catching an edge. He grabbed my shoulder to whip me around again.
I promptly shoved his hand off of my shoulder.
“What?” I repeated, this time really aggravated.
“What is your problem?” the guy demanded, shouting over the roaring of the rain. “Why won’t you even talk to me?”
“There’s nothing to talk about!” I shouted back.
“Bullshit!” the guy shot out, actually shoving me back. “You left without saying a word, how could you do that to Hye Rin?”
I ignored him and whipped back around, stomping away. But the guy caught up and stepped in front of me, blocking my way.
“Move.” I growled.
“You said you loved her, did you not? So why are you running away?” the guy pressed.
I let out a short, miserable laugh, shaking my hair out of my eyes.
“Like you don’t know,” I spat.
“Yea, I don’t know. That’s why I’m asking.” he snapped back. “You’re running away from her. You’re just being a coward---”

I swung at him, and I saw his head snap to the side. He hit the ground, splashing mud everywhere.
“Because she doesn’t need me!” I screamed at him. “I can’t protect her when I’m dead!”
My eyes fell to my fist, and then back to the guy on the ground. Horrified expression, no longer calm.
I drew in a shaky breath, and shut my eyes tight. …Complete Loss.
“Hye Rin…she doesn’t need a dying man…”
I opened my eyes and steeled my expression.

“And I don’t need her empty sympathy.”

“---and CUT!!”

The roaring of water hitting the ground stopped as the rain generator was cut off.

“That was great guys! Jae-Sung, Shin, go get dried off.” the director commanded into his megaphone.

I reached down and offered a hand to my scene partner, Shin, who gladly took my hand.
“That was some fake punch,” he joked, as I helped him back onto his feet.
“It knocked you off of your feet, didn’t it?” I said, grinning. “You look like a mess, by the way.”
Shin snorted, and gave me a playful punch on the shoulder.
“Like you should talk.” he said, laughing. He grabbed the towels the assistant was offering him. “Here, before you catch a cold.”
He tossed me a towel, which I caught easily. I gave him a small salute before walking off the scene.

Since my clothes were soaked, drying myself off was useless. Instead, I pulled the towel over my head and gave it a few passes through my hair.

“Jae-Sung,”

I pulled the towel down to my shoulder and looked back over my shoulder. Director Oh was waving at me, motioning for me to come over.
What could he want?
I obediently walked over to the director’s chair and waited for him to finish his discussion with his assistants. When he saw that I had approached, he dismissed his assistants with a nod and a wave.
“Jae-Sung,” he greeted.
Isa-nim,” I said respectfully.
“That was a great scene,” he complimented.
Kamsamnida,” I thanked.
“It was a very convincing act, you had me won over.” he said.
I gave him a small smile, thanking him once again. Director Oh was eying me almost suspiciously, studying me. I shifted awkwardly under his stern stare, unsure if I was in some sort of trouble or not.
“Jae-Sung,” he said. “How are you doing?”
I blinked, not understanding where this question was coming from.
“I’m doing fine, Director.” I replied.
He must’ve seen the confusion on my expression because he then sighed.
“I know you’re going through relationship troubles.” he straightout said.
“…Oh,” I heard myself say.
“I know you’re strong, making it this far in this industry the way you did.” he said. “But I saw that scene just now and I thought some of Min Han’s emotions were yours too.”
I recovered, and gave him a reassuring smile.
“Thanks for your concern.” I said gratefully. “But I’m really okay.”
Director Oh didn’t look so convinced so I added.
“If you were convinced by my acting, I should take it as a compliment. It’s part of my job to make the character’s emotions look real.”
The director was still frowning, but he didn’t look to worried anymore.
“And what’s the other part?” he asked.
I smiled wider.
“To not let the compliments and fame get to my head.” I replied cockily.
The director grunted and threw a sloppy playful punch my way, which I dodged smoothly as I laughed.
Aoish, you punk.” he muttered, though he, too, was laughing.

With that, I said my thanks again and headed to my dressing room. One of the scenes I had to shoot today was the outdoor rain scene. My dressing room was actually an office meeting room, converted to a makeshift dressing room. The office building was across the street from the park that was our filming site for the two days we were here.
As I reached the street to cross the street, I caught sight of what was waiting for me.

"JAE-SUNG!!"
"JAE-SUNG OPPA!!"
"AAAHHHHHH!!! SARANGHAE!!"


Fans were screaming from behind steel baracades and a squad of policemen, waving brightly decorated signs with my name on them. As I got closer, the screaming escalated.

"KYAAAAAAAA!!!! JAE-SUNG!!"

“Sometimes your popularity scares me.” someone said from behind.
I glanced behind me and saw that Mr. Park was right there beside me. I didn’t realize he was there.
“Watch out, I’m pretty sure they can smell your fear.” I joked darkly.

The fans were kept at a pretty good distance so we were able to cross the street at ease. I smiled and waved to them as I passed, but I had to hurry in to get ready for my next scene. I walked into the buliding and hurried to my dressing room conveniently located on the first floor.
Today was one of those days where I had to shoot a two different sites; shooting usually takes up most of my day. I still had time before I was in a scene again so it allowed some time to transfer back to the studio and get ready. I turned to my manger and told him I was going to go change.
The moment I stepped into my assigned room I started stripping off the soaked clothes.
Aoish, I’m freezing.” I muttered to myself.
I put on a dry set of clothes before I gathered my wet ones and hung them on the rack to dry. I gathered the thing I brought with me and went out to meet Mr. Park to start heading back to the main studio. Twenty fast minutes in the car and we were there.

Only when I got to my assigned dressing room did I actually stop moving. My wardrobe staff and make-up and hair stylist has yet to get to me, but I wasn’t expecting them any time soon; afterall, the actors and actresses shooting their scenes next took priority.
I grabbed a towel from my bag and draped it across my shoulders to dry my hair a little more. And since I had to time to kill, I pulled out the remaining fan mail I had out of my bag.
As I pulled the envelopes out, my thoughts went back to the package a fan had sent. Curiosity was eating at my insides; I just wanted to know what was inside the box. They better have left my package alone…

A soft knock sounded from the door, breaking my train of thought.
“Jae-Sung?” a female voice called in through the door. “I’m here with your next scene’s outfit. Is it okay for me to come in?”
“Come in,” I called back, turning in my seat towards the door.

The door opened, and a young girl in a pair of jeans and a staff t-shirt came in, pulling in a rolling clothes rack behind her.
“Scene 12, the phone call scene, right?” she asked.
“Yes,” I confirmed. I got up from my seat and walked over as she set up my things along one of the walls.
“I know I’m a bit early; the make-up and hair stylists said they will be heading over here soon.” she told me. She shuffled through the hanger, pulling off the protective plastic from the clothes.
“Now, the director just left it to me to set up Min Han’s outfits, but that leaves me with more work.” she was saying. “…do you think Min Han would wear suits?”
“Suits, like for business?” I asked. “Maybe, if he had to, but I think he’s more of that careless casual. He’s a rich talented heir that’s dying, he wouldn’t be caring about looking professional.”
But then I frowned.
“Aren’t outfits supposed to be checked and approved by the director and the costume supervisor beforehand?” I asked.
The girl let out a tired laugh.
“Costume supervisor, yup, that’s me.” she said. A sudden look of realization came across her face and she wheeled around towards me. She then dipped her head forward to give me a respectful bow. “I’m sorry! How rude of me; I didn’t even introduce myself,” she stammered out. “I’m Woo Sun Hi, constume supervisor for this drama. It’s an honor working with---no, working for you, Seo Jae-Sung!”
“Uh…no, please…” I started to say, feeling awkward about the formality. Well, I couldn’t say ‘Hi, I’m Seo Jae-Sung,’ after that.
“I…thank you?”
I shook my head and grimaced at how idiotic I just sounded. I reached down and lifted her shoulders up from the bow she was in.
“Hey look…don’t bow or be so rigid with me, okay?” I said, almost begging. “I don’t do well with formality. We’re coworkers, so there’s need for that.”
Woo Sun Hi gaped at me, almost as if she couldn’t believe what she was hearing. I dropped my hand from her shoulders and stood their, practically squirming under her not-so-shy stare.
Yah…you’re staring.” I muttered awkwardly. She blinked, snapping out of it.
“Oh, sorry…it’s just that, you took me by surprise.” she said, all form of formal speech gone.

I frowned. That’s my line here…

“Ah, not that I was expecting for you to be mean or anything, in fact I hear that you’re really kind and nice with the people you work with and all.” she rambled. “But I’m just used to working with the actors and actresses that aren’t…so normal.”
I blinked at her and a horrified expression came across her face.
“Not normal, like an ordinary guy, like anyone that you’ll see on the street. No; that’s not what I meant! I---I mean, you’re extraordinary! Super-talented, super-kind, super-cool, super-good looking---”
“You mean I’m not stuck-up.” I said flatly.
“Yes,” she breathed out, sounding relieved.
I studied her a bit, wondering if I should be concerned about her.
“Huh,” I let out. I dropped the subject and moved on.
“So, Woo Sun Hi, if you’re the costume supervisor, why haven’t we met before?”
Woo Sun Hi’s face lit up, looking relieved that we had moved away from the awkwardness.
“Ah, see, my aunt was the costume supervisor for this drama.” she explained.
“Was?” I echoed.
“She broke her leg last week when she tripped over the wires moving from set to set last week.” she said. She then turned back to the rack, pulling off the protective plastic from the other hangers.
“I always hang around my aunt’s work, if the drama’s film site was close by. And since I’m younger, she figured I can help with the more modern fashion.” she said.
“So just like that, you get the job?” I said skeptically.
She sent a wry smile my way.
“I worked with my aunt on sets before, and Director Oh is also familiar with me. He actually asked for me to fill in for her so I’m guessing it’s as good as getting a proper job offer.” she said.
I raised an eyebrow at her as she worked to get all the clothes straightened out.
“Okay,” I said. “Let’s see this…costume supervising skill Director Oh approves of.” I said. “But no suits; Min Han wouldn’t be wearing a suit for this phone call.”
The girl looked at me, her hand freezing on the jacket she was handling. Her eyes suddenly took on a strange glint.
“I sense a challenge; you don’t think I could do this,” she said. She then smile mischeviously.
“Okay, alright, I’ll show you. Woo Sun Hi won’t back down from this challenge, you’ll see.” she declared.
I motioned her towards the clothes rack she had dragged in here in a welcome to show off her skills. But she turned to me, her arms cross.
“But first you have to tell me something.” she said.
“I have to?” I echoed.
“I’m doing my job properly, just as my aunt would.” she reasoned. “Now, describe your character Min Han in five words. And just five words.”
I studied her, and her determined expression. She was serious.
“Alright.” I said, intrigued. “Min Han is… smart, quiet…lonely, calm and secretive.”
The girl had a thoughtful look on her face.
“Your turn, Woo Sun Hi.” I said.

The young costume supervisor stepped forward to stand in front of me. She gave me a analyzing look up and down my figure. I let her circle me once, and come to a stop in front of me once more.

“Okay, I got it.” she said, smirking. “Be prepared to admit defeat, Seo Jae-Sung.”

Image

“Alright, come on out and let’s see my work!”

I pulled the black cotton shirt on and fixed the long sleeves.
“Hold on,” I called back exasperated. Sheesh, that girl was impatient.
She had me put on some dark denim pants paired with this simple black long-sleeved shirt. From the belt to the single chain accesory, everything she had handed me was simple and dark.
An aggravated sigh sounded from the other side of the curtain.
“Alright! I’m ready!” I said again and pushed the curtain aside. “Has anyone told you you’re not very patient?”
The girl shushed me sharply, and walked up to me. She walked around me once more and came to a stop in front of me with a wide triumphant smile.
“It’s perfect! Min Han never looked better!” she exclaimed proudly.
I looked down at myself, looking down at my shirt.
“I don’t know about this shirt, Han wouldn’t wear something this…like this,” I said, pulling the wide collar closer to my neck.
She tugged at my sleeve that I had pushed up past my elbows and fussed over the wrinkles in the fabric.
“If he’s calm, he’s probably relaxed. The slight v-collar and wider neck shows off the line of your neck and broad shoulders and makes you seem laid back. The soft cotton is comfortable, right?” she argued.
I frowned, but rolled my shoulders around.
“Yea…comfy.” I admitted.
She stepped back, and gave me a look over. She was practically beaming at me with triumph.
“Now wait, hold on.” I said. “You haven’t won this yet. I have to like what the acting costume supervisor put me in.”
She snorted.
“What’s with that?” she said.
“If Min Han can’t like it, how can that be considered a win?” I demanded.
“You’re being stubborn, and you know it!” Sun Hi argued back. “I’m telling you, ‘Min Han’, the moment you walk out into the set, your love interest Hye Rin is going to have some competition…”

Knocking sounded from the door before it opened. I looked over to see two girls walk in with their arms filled with black kits and cases.

“Jae-Sung? We’re here for your hair and make---”

The moment they saw me, they suddenly froze. Their eyes practically popped out of their sockets; it was priceless.
I felt a small nudge on my side. I glanced to the side and saw a very smug look.
“Here; if you need a jacket wear this one.” she said, reaching over and pulling a dull colored khaki double-zippered jacket off the hangers. Then she scowled. “If you’re going to insist on pushing your sleeves up, let me atleast go and find you a watch.” she grouched.
With that she walked out of the dressing room without another word.
That left me to turn to the remaining two workers.
“So…how do I look?” I asked.

Image

“Alright Jae-Sung, this is the scene where he gets a phone call from his doctor. He just came back from spending time with Hye Rin; he’ll be going through his normal routine when his gets the call.” Director Oh was saying. “This scene is going to rely heavily on your expressions and body language. Try to get into his mindset for inspiration.”
I nodded and took a glance around the set, which was Min Han’s luxury loft. It was a nice space, wide and spacious but comfortable and it somehow did its job of reflecting Han’s personality. The far wall was this huge bookshelf packed with all these books and made up his office business space. In fact, this loft space was a whole lot of business and no clutter.
The director got called over by one of his assistants, leaving me to myself which suited me just fine. It allowed me think about this scene, and get my thoughts together. I sat on the living room sofa to fall into my role.

One of the things Rin did to Han was make him forget about his illness during the time she was with him, the one thing that had kept him anchored and the the one thing that lingered on his every thought. In the last episode he had told his best friend that she scared him because she allows him to want, something he hasn’t allowed himself to do with his weak health. If Han had just came back from spending a day with the girl he loved, he must be in a good mood. He may even crack one of his shadow of a smile thing.
And to get a phone call from his doctor, sounding grim as he tells him it’s urgent for him to come in. It would be a devastating reminder.

“Jae-Sung,”

I turned my head to see Woo Sun Hi approaching me. She skipped over the big wires on the floor and onto the set.
“I found a good watch,” she said, lifting a platinum dark-silver wristwatch. “Give me your wrist.”
I lifted my left hand to her and she slipped the watch on. As she figeted with the band, she glanced over to me.
“Sorry, did I disrupt you or something? It seemed like you were really thinking…” she said.
“No, it’s fine.” I said. I gave her a reassuring smile. “Now do I look okay?”
Sun Hi snorted, rolling her eyes.
“Lady-killer,” she said.

“Okay guys, get to your places! We’re starting in five!”

“Don’t forget your jacket.” The young costume supervisor said. “Knock them dead!”
I rolled my eyes and chuckled under my breath. I grabbed the jacket off of the couch and headed for the front door of the loft. I stepped out of the living room set, closed the door behind me and stood on standby. An assistant came by and handed me a set of keys, a wallet and Min Han’s cell phone as I pulled on the jacket; all of which were my character’s personal effects. The phone was slipped into my pocket.
I breathed in deeply, closed my eyes and waited for the command.

Min Han is smart, quiet, calm, lonely and secretive. At the moment happy…and within the next moments undeservingly devastated…

“This is scene 12, Doctor’s call, Take 1. Standby on set…Rolling…Action!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know nothing happened much in this chapter, but it's because I had to cut it. The original chapter was far too long, so I decided to break it apart in two chapters. This maybe a filler, but it shows what kind of work Jae-Sung does...
I'll check for errors in the morning; it's past 2am where I am.

But I want to thank you guys: 14 readers, 9 subscribers, 5 comments!! in the short amount of time too!! it's great; thanks guys! I'll get the next one out very soon.

Let me know how you like!