Pearl

THE SECOND BLOODY BRAWL

New York City was bright, bold, and loud. It was a great change from the sleepy town I called home. Owen and Father seemed like they had found their niche. We stayed at a posh hotel where men and women in luxurious clothes shook their hands. Owen had built himself a fine reputation as the undefeated Southern gentleman. Owen smiled graciously at all of their compliments.

Many women noticed him too. Tall and gorgeous women with beautiful curves and fur stoles around their shoulders. We walked down the hotel one day. Owen was wearing a crisp blue shirt and dark black pants; I fixed his crooked collar as we went down the stairs. He smiled and gave me a quick peck while my father had his back turned.

We got to the lobby. I barely got a glimpse of the vast marble room before we were accosted by a voluptuous women with beautiful golden hair and dark green eyes. I immediately recognized her. She was Eve Lowell. Owen’s eyes widened at the sight of her and my golden happiness was obliterated.

“Hi there, Owen! I’ve been meaning to meet you. You’re my favorite fighter, you know that?” she exclaimed brightly. Owen seemed taken aback.

“Oh, well, thank you Miss Lowell,” he replied, like he couldn’t believe this beautiful movie star even knew his name. Father shook her hand too, introducing himself as Owen’s trainer. She didn’t even look at me, as if overlooking the fact that Owen’s arm was loosely draped around my waist.

“This is my daughter, Pearl,” my father said and gestured towards me. Owen immediately pulled away from me in order to push me a little in her direction.

“Yes, this is my Pearly,” Owen said proudly. Eve took my hand and shook it carefully.

“Nice to meet you, Pearl,” she said lithely, “Must be hard to be the girl of a fighter. Every slugging must tear at your heart!”

I nodded my head and murmured softly, “Luckily, Owen hasn’t been beat.” Owen beamed at me.

Then Eve made a clicking sound with her tongue and said, “Well, it isn’t luck, is it? You’re just that talented!”

After a few more seconds of friendly conversation (mostly Eve fawning over Owen and Owen being too flattered to really realize how it made me feel), Eve departed with a bright grin.

We continued our way out the hotel. Owen had this brightly surprised expression on his face. He absentmindedly reached for my hand but I pulled away and gave him a sour look.

“What?” he asked.

“Why don’t you go after Eve and hold her hand? You seem like you like her enough,” I said, miffed and hurt.

My father and Owen laughed together. “Pearl, come on. She’s a big star! I can’t believe she even knows my name,” Owen explained.

I saw him smile at my angry expression. “You’re jealous,” he murmured.

“Am not! I just don’t see why you two have to fawn over her!” I accused the two men.

My dad chuckled, “Oh, Pearly, the color green does not look too great on you.” He walked ahead of us, probably to let Owen deal with me.

“You have nothing to worry about,” Owen assured me, “You’re still my number one girl.” He bent down to kiss my forehead.

I smiled at him, despite my unfounded anger.

_____

It was true. Every time Owen got hit tore at my heart in violent waves.

Owen fought Jimmy Bennett at a Madison Square Garden. The people attending the match were wealthy folk who cheered and booed as enthusiastically as the rest.

I sat at the very front row with tears threatening to leak from my eyes. The bright white lights shone on Owen’s damp, pale skin. They also accentuated the blood and bruises on his face as well.

Bennett was a fast fighter. He was just as brawny as Owen, but he seemed determined to put an end to Owen’s undefeated status. Every time Owen got a good shot in, Jimmy Bennett reciprocated the act with fury.

I winced as Bennett landed to hits to Owen’s body. I knew Owen was in pain because of the expression on his face, but he continued to weave around Bennett on the balls of his feet. I cheered when he was able to get a slug to Bennett’s face. He swayed for a split second, but then came back with much vigor.

Owen blocked his face as his opponent pounced. My father screamed from his corner. “GO, Owen! GO.”

Bennett seemed to be tired of trying to get back at Owen. And this was when Owen took advantage of his situation. He loomed over Bennett and gave him a hard, resounding hit to his side. Bennett tipped over. Owen then hit him right under the chin and it was over.

He collapsed onto the mat. The referee came around and counted to three. Owen looked around, screaming something. His eye was black and blue, swollen shut. My father ran to him and gave him a great big hug. It wasn’t until I had run closer to the ring and gotten through the roaring crowd of people that I understood what Owen was hollering about.

“Pearl!” he yelled and then his eyes caught mine and he yanked me up. I laughed as he raised me up and kissed me. “I love you, Pearl!” he cried out happily and spun me around.

And at this moment, I actually forgot about Owen’s mother. At this moment, I could see myself marrying this man.
♠ ♠ ♠
"Always mad and usually drunk, but I love her like no other."

-Kings of Leon