Sink or Swim

Five

Alex’s pov
I couldn’t believe what I had just heard. Even Nash thought I was treating Bug like a monkey. Something about that girl made me mad but at the same time it made me want her even more. Before I got to caught up thinking about Nash I quickly got back on topic with Bug.

“Don’t say you needed it. That makes you weak. Say it felt good.” I commanded.

Bug sighed, “Thanks, Fang. That felt good.”

“It felt fucking great!”

Bug gasped, “That’s a bad word.”

I scoffed, “You know why bad things happen to good people? Because they’re not bad.”

“Thanks, Fang. That was a fucking great thing to say.” Bug said unsurely.

I smiled, “I have hope for you, Bug.”

Bug gave me a small smile, “thanks Alex, it’s a bad fucking world.”

“oh, one more thing.”

“I don’t know if I can handle one more fucking thing.” Bug spoke sweetly.

I blinked unsure of the monster I had created.

“You have to go get your phone.” I pointed out.

He growled, “Are you fucking kidding me?”

Bug defiantly wasn’t messing around, he was serious.

“They’ll trace it and know you were in there. You gotta go back.”

Bug narrowed his eyes at me, “no fucking way”

“Way, and stop saying fuck.” I ordered.

“you say fuck.” Bug pointed out.

I shook my head, “You’re not me.”

I jabbed my finger at Bug then my self, Bug duplicated my actions almost like a mirror effect. Bug continued matching my movements perfectly. Breathing, blinking, anything I was doing he was doing. I swallowed and Bug did too. It was downright scary. Without thinking I slapped him, sending him out of his daze.

He looked at me confused, “Did something just happen?”

“No.” I lied.

“Do you think I’m a monkey, Alex?” Bug asked.

I changed the subject quickly, “Have you killed people, Bug.”

Bug furrowed his eye brows in thought, “Not that I can remember.”

I decided to turn it into a joke, “I can’t remember buying you bananas, either.”

Bug smiled then turned to go to the bathroom, “I’ll be right back with the phone.”

Bug ran into the bathroom and then I turned to find Nash behind me, which made me jump.

“I thought you left.”

She shook her head and reached down on the floor, “I dropped my phone, again.”

I smiled as she looked over the device for any scratches then put it in her pocket for safe keeping.

“Where’s Bug?” Nash asked me.

I pointed, “Getting his phone.”

Next thing I heard was Maria Ramirez coming down the hall with Brittany, talking about something. We couldn’t make it to the janitors closet so Nash quickly reacted.

“Kiss me.”

“What?” I asked confused then she gave me a look.

“Not enough time, this is the only cover up I can think of.” She answered.

I quickly wrapped my arms around her waist and pressed our lips together with so much force that her back slammed into the wall. She smiled and wrapped her arms around the back of my neck. She tasted like spearmint……….I like spearmint.

“What the?” Maria’s voice stopped us.

We both pulled apart and looked lover at Maria and Brittany who were standing in front of us with shocked expressions.

“Um.” We both looked at each other then back to girls not sure what to say.

Maria shook her head and let Brittany head over to the bathroom, “What, Alex, you didn’t get the memo?”

“I was just passing by, Maria.” I said loudly, trying to warn Bug.

“Don’t go in there.” Nash jumped in front of the door blocking Brittany.

“Get out of my way.” She shoved past and went inside.

Nash went to follow but I grabbed her arm and pulled her back. The next thing that was heard was Brittany’s high pitched scream and Bug yelling. She came out of the bathroom and slammed into Maria.

“Bug’s in the toilet!” Brittany yelled.

“What?” Maria’s eyes grew wide.

Nash tried to go in but I pulled her back again when Officer Ramirez ran around the corner, “What’s going on?”

“Bug Heller’s taking a dump in the girl’s toilet!” Maria shouted.

“Shit.” Nash mumbled and leaned back onto my chest.

I groaned knowing that Bug was going to be in deep shit. Maria and Brittany raced off, no doubt to tell Fang that Bug was in the girls bathroom and that Nash and I were kissing in the hall.

***

Nash’s pov
The rest of the day was sort of a blur since I skipped class and headed into the woods to be alone. I heard Bug mumbling to himself and turned to find him sitting on top of a rock.

“Hey Bug.” I waved when I saw him.

He snapped out of his daze and waved back, “Heard you and Alex were making out in the hallway.”

“It was just a distraction.” I blushed.

He smiled, “Mhm, I’m sure. I heard all about it from Alex. You know he likes you right?”

“Nuhuh!” I answered excitedly then took it down a notch.

Bug laughed, “Aha so you do like him.”

“Shut up Bug.” I groaned and climbed up on the rock next to him.

Bug said something about burying his condor then left. I stared up at the trees for a few minutes before Brittany walked by not noticing me. Then out of nowhere Brandon appeared.

“Training for the marathon?” Brittany asked.

“Gotta keep in shape. You’re in great shape. Got time for that B.J.?” He asked.

I rolled my eyes and continued listening.

“You’re like a crotch dog. You know, the ones that stick their nose in your crotch when you’re not looking.” She answered.

Brittany may have been a bitch but she sure knew how to tell Brandon off.

“I went the extra mile for you today, Brittany. I could’ve gotten expelled for that eight. Plus I got shit on three times, once by my sister, once by a Jesus freak, and once by a fucking buzzard.”

“Condor.” She corrected him.

“It’s got me tense.”

She rolled her eyes at him, “Take up a hobby.”

Brandon was controlling him temper, “This is my hobby. How about as a birthday present?”

“It’s all of our birthdays.” She pointed out.

He stepped in front of her, “I need it. I want it. It should make you feel special. Fang thinks we’re a good match.”

Brittany stared at him, “My father had a crotch dog. Mom had it gassed. Put it out of it’s misery.”

Charmingly he grinned, “Misery’s what I’m talking about.”

She sighed, “In the woods. I’m late for the memorial/birthday celebration thing and so are you. The shortcut will give us an extra minute. Count to sixty.”

She had something up her sleeve just by the way she spoke.

“You tricking me? I got a temper.”

She rolled her eyes, ‘it’s a business thing, Brandon. Blows coworkers on occasion doesn’t look good on a resume.”

“Sixty seconds.” Brandon smiled.

Brittany darted out into the trees with Brandon counting then after a few minutes he followed after her. I followed silently after Brandon to keep him from hurting Brittany even if she was a total bitch.

“Hey! Brittany Bitch!” Brandon yelled and began running after the blonde.

I quickly ran after him. I beat him to the old ambulance and saw Brittany with a scared expression on her face. Quickly I looked to see Penelope Bryte sitting on the muddy ground, her back was against the car’s door. She was dead.

“Gotcha!” Brandon smirked.

“Now you’re gonna get it.” He pulled her closer but I pushed him away from her.

“Run!” I ordered her.

She sped off and Brandon glared at me then looked past me at the ambulance at Penelope’s dead body.

“Brandon did you do that?” I asked my voice quivering.

He hugged me for the first time since I was four and shook his head no with real tears in his eyes, “I may be a bully but I’m not a killer.”

I rubbed his back sympathetically knowing that what he said was true. His phone went off and he quickly answered, “Hello?”

“Just because she embarrassed you in front of me, you killed her? You really are going to burn in hell!” Brittany shouted so loud I could hear her.

He tried to protest but she cut him off, “Better start running the other way, Brandon. I called the police.”

There were cop sirens and he quickly grabbed my hand, “Shit.”

We raced through the woods together into the safety of the trees. Brandon’s phone rang again so we stopped running to catch our breath.

“Brittany, please don’t call the cops. I knocked up Principal Pratt’s daughter, Melani? He’ll have me killed in my cell, you under stand what I’m saying?”

There was just silence on the other end. Brittany must have been speachless.

Tears came to his eyes causing mine to tear up as well, damn twin reactions.

“I know I’m a pig. I can’t help myself. God as my witness, Brittany, I might’ve killed a pengin or two in my life, but I didn’t kill Penelope Bryte.”

We both listened for her answer but instead we heard a deep male voice, “You don’t have the balls.”

“Who is this?” I asked for him.

He darkly chuckled, “The O’Neil twins, huh? I’m someone from your past. You wouldn’t remember.”

“Put Brittany on, please.” Brandon tried to act calm.

“She’s not here.” The voice spoke.

“Where is she?” I asked.

“Where your going.”

Brandon gulped, “I’m going to the church.”

“No you’re not. Think hotter.” The voice seemed to get darker.

“Miami?” Brandon asked.

“Try hell.” then the line went dead.

That didn’t come from the line it came from right behind us.

“Nash?”

“Brandon?” We both spoke before turning around.

A knife slammed right into his gut.

“Brandon!” I screamed.

The sun was gone and it was dusk. Brandon fell to the ground and the knife was pulled out of him, I was in shock. The knife had the words “VENGEANCE” etched onto it.

“Brandon.” I cried falling to the ground in front of him.

He smiled weakly at me and put his hand in mine, “I’m so sorry, Nash. I’m sorry for everything. Take care of my unborn son and don’t you ever forget about me-”

The life drained from his eyes and he just stared, his hand in my lost it’s grip telling me that my brother was gone.

I looked down at him and whispered, “It’s okay Brandon, I forgive you.”

I looked up with tears in my eyes to see the ripper standing there with a smug grin on his face.

“Run, Nash, run while you still can.” He chuckled darkly.

I scrambled to get up and raced out of the woods and towards the direction of Bug’s house. The tears in my eyes made it harder to see but I felt some sort of relief when I saw the lights on at Bug’s house.